Voting Methods

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have MANY problems with people voting who are not at the meeting.

First, how do we ensure that the person voting IS an adult or AMHA member. I know that as a youth member I had access to all our Miniature Horse files, I wouldn't have voted in my mom's place but...I bet there people who would. Or what about multiple AMHA member households. Again, my mom and me both have access to each others information. We don't always agree on rule changes. Who's to say that I wouldn't vote in her place without her knowledge.

Second, what about deployed military members? I'm sure there are some who would love to vote but, if you are in the middle of Iraq your first thought isn't going to be "oh the AMHA Convention is going on!" Why should they be excluded. Should we wait to vote until all our members are in the position that they can vote?

Third, what about inactive AMHA members? There are plenty of people who are members of AMHA that are no longer/never were active in Miniature Horses. One example is my cousin, she showed with us when we were both around 10-12. That was OVER 10 years AGO!! She is still an AMHA member because my mom ensures most of my family is, just incase they want to show ammy one day. Knowing my cousin I would bet she would vote on something she had no knowledge of. She's a know it all med student who would assume she could vote better than any of us active members.

Fourth, computer/mail problems. If we have problems with the post office and some members don't get their ballots, will we have to recount? What about the computer? What if 1/2 of California has a blackout and people can't get online?

Do you want me to go on because I've got more?

BTW. I usually go to AMHA Conventions to vote. I've missed school many times to drive across the country to ensure that my voice is heard.
No 1. Each person legal to vote would receive a pin number or use their AMHA number to vote.

No 2. It is impossible for everyone to vote.. some might be in the hospital or something.. but a large

number of voters is certainly a better idea of what the general memberships want than a hundred or less people voting at the general meeting.

No. 3 What do you call and active member.. Show is not the only game in town.. If you pay your membership you should have as many rights as anyone else that pays theirs.

No. 4 Mail problems are very rare.. given a couple months ahead to study the issues and then vote seems

a fair way to do it.

No. 5 Because the numbers are much much smaller.

No. 6 The AMHA plans for seminars and such will still draw members to the convention and the directors

will still be there.. So I see no drop in numbers..

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree if dues are paid, we should be able to vote on issues that will affect everyone who is a member of AMHA, whether it is by mail or computer or telephone.

Joyce

default_yes.gif

Good ideas Nikki - you and Tiff are definitely on a roll!

There are a few thigns that do need to be considered though -

The fact that the majority do NOT follow the forum, have internet access or get the MHW is an issue that does need to be addressed. We can't ASSUME everyone does what we do - shocking as it is there are people that don't have the internet, email, cell phones, etc. That doesn't mean their rights/feelings can be ignored.

The lifetime membership - well I would think that could be cleared up fairly simply by contacting them - a simple we're cleaning up our database and want to know if this information is correct - I highly doubt some widow will swoon if her dearly departed hubby's name is on a piece of mail! A simple postcard can be returned - heck email everyone first then send snail mail to those that need it - it's not that overly complicated! Heck a good telemarketer could call all the lifetime members and it would probably be cheaper than mailing!

I use to run a non-profit and we had to keep a clean mailing list/donor dataabase - or risk wasting thousand of dollars on mail - it's not rocket science!

BTW - if the lifetime member is not active or dead they won't vote!

I've decided to leave the forum since there appears to be some who read without putting comprehension into what they are reading. There are also those who claim to be "fighting for the right of those to have an opinion" and yet at the same time condeming people for having an opinion opposite of theirs. There are also people who take phrases and paragraphs out of context without reading the history that went into preparing that particular block of text. However, before I go, I wanted to post a few links about this topic.

Documented problems

Here is a list of some of the documented problems associated with technology and voting.

Texas voter fraud

Here is an example of people taking others information and using it to vote.

Power Outage and voting

Here is an example of a recent power "problem" and the results on a vote.

There are many more out there. Many of them are HUGE blocks of text, but I tried to find the simplest ones. There were a couple good examples written by journalists about the ethical issues that surround online voting. If you are interested in reading those, I found them off a google search. There are also, on google, articles that apply to corporations with online voting problems and even a horse club.

Honestly, just because there "MIGHT" be problems with power outages or fraudulent voting yadda yadda yadda, you suggest that none of these other voting options should ever be available. I have to think that if everyone looked at the world that way....this idea might fail and therefore we mustn't try out this idea....Columbus would never have set sail and discovered America!

And yes, it is very mature to leave the forum because others here don't agree with your viewpoint. Buh-bye!

Latest posts

Back