Upsetting situation......horse that I sold

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capall beag

Reaction score
York Beach, Maine originally from Ireland!
UPDATE!!!!!

It is with great EXCITEMENT I am updating this old topic!

He is coming back to live with me and he is NOT cryptorchid!!

I will give a full update soon but I saw him the other day and KNEW I had to act!

He will be gelded immediately and will become a longterm resident!

I feel guilt ridden it has taken this long but I called the owner and begged them to give him back so I could give him a chance at a good life.

They appreciated the call, said they felt overwhelmed and said Yes I could have him back.

He has lived for 4 yrs alone in a dark garage, in a makeshift 6 x6 stall with VERY limited access to ever get outside
default_no.gif

I am elated and feel a huge sense of relief!

Thansk for letting me share
default_biggrin.png

I sold a little stallion about 3 years ago.

I sold him because he was pet quality and cryptorchid. I bought him thinking he was good quality, papers in order and fully descended but you know how that goes :eek: :eek: Anyway lesson learned.

I was advised that surgery could cost $1500 and I could not afford that.

He was a sweet little guy and really didn't seem to know he was a stallion. I sold him to a very nice family in town. The daughter was really into horses and had been taking lessons for a few years and they seemed like they would offer him a good home.

They were newbies and I explained his needs for shelter, space, food hoof care etc. Gave them my farriers name, vets name, hay supplier etc

The Dad really wanted to 'please' his daughter and seemed willing to do anything to get her a little horse. I even gave them my barn plans because he liked my barn and wanted to buid something similar.

I was called out at about 10pm one night soon after they bought him because the father thought the horse was going to die.

When I got there he was tied in their garage and the father had made a makeshift stall. "Red" had caught his leg on the tie and had gone down, who knows for how long.

Things were not as I expected! The stall he told me he had built was not there, the pen was not there and there were a few other things. I explained his needs AGAIN!

Again, the father very nicely explained he had it all planned out, was just slowly getting to it.

I have seen the father many times since and he has advised me all is well. Things are great etc.

TODAY, a mutual friend told me the horse is STILL living in the garage! There is NO fenced area! My conclusion is that he gets very little outside time and that he must live a lonely, sad existence. She is not a horsey person and visits the home weekly. She told me today that in a year and a half she has only seen the horse outside the garage on 2 occasions :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

I am heartsick about it and KNOW I cannot let this continue.

I really don't want another horse, definately not a crytochid stallion BUT I KNOW this is my responsibility because I sold him to them.

I don't know exactly what is going on or why this man never did any of the things he promised he would be doing but I know that he is not giving this horse a good home. I think it is a case of unintentional cruelty but I think it is a HORRIBLE life for him.

I don't know how I should approach this?

I want to educate the family not harshly criticise BUT I now know that 'friendly suggestions' go ignored in this case.

How would you deal with this?

My ideal solution would be for the family to come to the conclusion due to my suggestions! that I should rehome Red for them.

I don't want to seem to harsh BUT I would like to get him out of that home.

Sorry this is so long and wordy........I just feel really sad about this whole thing :no:

I feel alot of guilt BUT don't understand why they kept telling me everything was great?? I even asked if they were still enjoying him or if the daughter had lost interest, the reply was "We all love him"

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you could offer to take him back (they would probably refuse since they claim to love him still). You cannot make them give him back though. How close to them do you live? Can you stop in and chat with them? What about explaning how dissipointed you are that he is still not getting turnout, and why it is necessasary and then offering to board him till they get the situation fixed?

I am so sorry about the life your horse is leading!!! If it's feasible, I would go visit them yourself and have a nice conversation with them. Maybe they are looking for a way out and just don't know how to go about it.

I would approach him and ask him to give the horse back. Explain to him that when he took him, you had a verbal contract on what would be done for him. Since then, after repeated ststements saying he was goig to do it, or had done it, and it is still to this day not done, that he is in breach of the mutual agreement. Give him a set date to have it done by, or tell him nicely that you will have to reposess.

I'm nervous that if you try to "strong arm" them they will shut down and not deal with you at all anymore. Maybe try to sweet talk them somehow with a story (or lie) of some sort of why you'd just love to have him back.

Best of luck to you and thank you for trying to get him out of there!! Sounds like a miserable life for a horse. Lots of people "LOVE" their animals like that :no:

Fiona,

If that doesn't work you might want to contact animal welfare. explain what is going on, and ask them if they could go have a conversation with this family and instruct them on proper care and check on this little guy to see if he's even in good condition ect.

The really wierd thing is that this is a family with plenty of money, they live in such a gorgeous home with an idyllic setting. It is a very affluent community.......they have a gorgeous place and could easily set him up well
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:

The father also told me they own land in a neighbouring town, where he works. That is where he planned to built the barn. I remember telling him to be careful with turning a mini out in a large field because he might founder :ugh:

This is a family who could well afford to keep him how he deserves.

Where they live is like a gated community and not a place I ever visit, I have no reason to visit there. BUT I do now!

I am going to be nice about it BUT I am not going to walk away from it either.

If they want to keep him I will tell them that keeping him 'as is' is cruel and unfair. If they ignore my nice warning I will take it as a "We don't care response" and will have to take a stronger appraoch. :xkngt:
default_frusty.gif
:

I am gald I posted this, the replies have helped me know how to appraoch this, Thanks!

did you sell him on a contract? I mean once you sell a horse you loose most controll.. if you have a contract hthat would help alot!

NO I didn't! This scenario never crossed my mind with this family.

Honestly, my biggest worry was over feeding him/founder :no:

Of course, hindsight is 20/20, now looking back maybe I should have been more assertive in my Q's about How things were going???

I have seen the father many times since and always ask about Red and how he is doing and if the daughters interest has worn off.

They told me she wanted a Morgan now but they said the pricetag was too high.

I think it is a case of ignorance is bliss!

I have told the father, previously, that if things change to call me. I would always help rehome a horse if things were not working out BUT the crazy thing is I think they think everything is fine :new_shocked: :new_shocked: BUT I was very specific in talling them what he needed and they have not done what was needed....by a long shot :ugh:
default_frusty.gif
:
default_frusty.gif
:

I think it might be a case of the father thinking he is better than and knows best and who am I to suggest otherwise!!!!!!! Or something like that!

Can you bake a pie?

My mama taught me never to go visiting empty handed, so I don't.

So first, bake a pie. Cause this has to go peaceably.

At the visit, have your questions ready.

Then, have your speech ready. The speech about how a horse cannot live like that in those conditions. How he needs to thrive on sunshine and grass because horses are grazers.

Then, depending on what the answers are, how about offering to board the horse, for a fee of course, until they get the barn and fencing up and ready ?

Try to keep the peace at all costs and remain low key, but do be firm and "matter of fact"

If they don't want you to board the horse, and they don't want to get rid of Red, then, I think I'd be at the end of my rope and I'd shove the pie in the guy's face and tell him you're calling the authorities.

How'd I do ?

Oh Marty That made me :lol: over a very stressful situation so THANK YOU!!

I do want to go over peacefully and pray they tell me they have lost interest!

I will have the trailer over there in a heartbeat and then I will figure out what to do!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you bake a pie?
My mama taught me never to go visiting empty handed, so I don't.

So first, bake a pie. Cause this has to go peaceably.

At the visit, have your questions ready.

Then, have your speech ready. The speech about how a horse cannot live like that in those conditions. How he needs to thrive on sunshine and grass because horses are grazers.

Then, depending on what the answers are, how about offering to board the horse, for a fee of course, until they get the barn and fencing up and ready ?

Try to keep the peace at all costs and remain low key, but do be firm and "matter of fact"

If they don't want you to board the horse, and they don't want to get rid of Red, then, I think I'd be at the end of my rope and I'd shove the pie in the guy's face and tell him you're calling the authorities.

How'd I do ?
GO MARTY!!!!!

i had a similar situation, went to pick up a horse for a gal that didn't have a trailer, by coincidence it was being boarded at the home of a gal i sold a colt to a few years ago. so of course i had to go say hi to the little guy. well his feet were HORRIBLE! the gal was not home just her son, so i e-mailed her the next day and told her i was shocked to see what he looked like and told her to PLEASE let me know that the farrier had been out... she immediately e-mailed back and said she had trouble scheduling with her farrier and was trying to get another guy... anyway it all worked out ok but i was sure sick to my stomach thinking about the possible conflict, but i just could not keep my mouth shut when i saw him. so yes go and talk to them!!!

If they live in an affluent community, maybe that is why the horse is not let "out"? Have you checked the ordinances on having livestock where they are living? If horses are not allowed.......you could be the angel that saves them from a sticky situation.
default_wink.png
:

Poor fellow! That's why I hate selling a horse...once the money and papers exchange hands, you can't control what happens. I would do as the other posters said, and offer to buy him back. If that doesn't work, then I would definitely put an anonymous call into animal control. Some people really amaze me.
default_wacko.png
:

NO I didn't! This scenario never crossed my mind with this family.

Honestly, my biggest worry was over feeding him/founder :no:

Of course, hindsight is 20/20, now looking back maybe I should have been more assertive in my Q's about How things were going???

I have seen the father many times since and always ask about Red and how he is doing and if the daughters interest has worn off.

They told me she wanted a Morgan now but they said the pricetag was too high.

I think it is a case of ignorance is bliss!

I have told the father, previously, that if things change to call me. I would always help rehome a horse if things were not working out BUT the crazy thing is I think they think everything is fine :new_shocked: :new_shocked: BUT I was very specific in talling them what he needed and they have not done what was needed....by a long shot :ugh:
default_frusty.gif
:
default_frusty.gif
:

I think it might be a case of the father thinking he is better than and knows best and who am I to suggest otherwise!!!!!!! Or something like that!

I am sorry about the situation too for you and the little guy, but probably your chances of taking him without any contract are going to be very hard. And unfortunately I don't really think a verbal agreement would stand up either unless you have mutiple witnesses. You may have an uphill fight all the way and still lose. i would try the suggestion of someone else about contacting the humane officer for that area & having them stop in if possible, but if they seem to be providing adequate shelter, food, etc. and he is still in good condition bodywise not much may be done. :no: and you could actually get in trouble yourself for trespassing, etc. if they do live in a gated community and the family decides not to deal with you at all. Hopefully something can be done & I wish you luck.

I feel for your, and the horse's, situation!!!

I don't really have any advice but really hope the horse's living conditions can be greatly improved.

One thing I wanted to point out is that you may be able to get a better price on that surgery. I had discussed it years ago with my vet when I was worried about a colt I used to own who did eventually descend on his own. If I remember right, my vet was telling me it would cost a few hundred to have it done (and he's an awesome vet). If it can be done much cheaper, it may really help him to be rehomed.

If they live in an affluent community, maybe that is why the horse is not let "out"? Have you checked the ordinances on having livestock where they are living? If horses are not allowed.......you could be the angel that saves them from a sticky situation.
default_wink.png
:
That is a really good idea, Terri!!!

The really wierd thing is that this is a family with plenty of money, they live in such a gorgeous home with an idyllic setting. It is a very affluent community.......they have a gorgeous place and could easily set him up well
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
: The father also told me they own land in a neighbouring town, where he works. That is where he planned to built the barn. I remember telling him to be careful with turning a mini out in a large field because he might founder :ugh:

This is a family who could well afford to keep him how he deserves.

Where they live is like a gated community and not a place I ever visit, I have no reason to visit there. BUT I do now!

I am going to be nice about it BUT I am not going to walk away from it either.

If they want to keep him I will tell them that keeping him 'as is' is cruel and unfair. If they ignore my nice warning I will take it as a "We don't care response" and will have to take a stronger appraoch. :xkngt:
default_frusty.gif
:

I am gald I posted this, the replies have helped me know how to appraoch this, Thanks!

I don't mean to be crass here, but this description reminds me of that commerical about the man who has everything and can barely make his minimum payments on his credit cards. He says "can someone help me???" Perhaps they had great plans when they bought the horse and now things have changed? It happens. Or maybe they had every intention on building a barn and zoning in their community prevented it. They like the horse and are afraid the neighbors will complain? I have had buyers here who live in planned communities that I advise to look at their contracts before buying the horse. Some can lose their homes over things like this.

I agree. Bake a pie and go visit. Be a listener rather than a critic. You might hear what the problem is without prompting. I have bought back horses when "things" did not pan out for buyers. People have big plans when they get a new "toy" and sometimes life just does not cooperate, interest fades, or things happen. Bottom line is you can only offer to take the horse back and they can agree or refuse.

Good luck. It is obvious that you really care.

Just a little advice from humble me...I had a simular situation when I was a teenager with a large horse. My dad wanted me to sell one of my two horses and I had to choose. The colt I sold was one I had raised. He sold the horse to a "friend" that promised to "take really good care of him" well, a few months down the road the horse was in terrible danger. They kept him in a "sandy corral" and he was starving so he ate the sand! He coliced and we went over to their house. I, being a teenager did not use good judgement. My father on the other hand used common sense and was able to retrieve the horse, give the man his money back and brought Rasputin home. We nursed him back to good health and sold him to an older gentleman that gave him a great home. The moral to this story is that if you want to get this horse back, don't use strong arm tactics. He OWNS the horse now. Unless the horse is starving or has serious medical emergency the authorities really can't do much. If it were me, I would go in there with a "I want to help you" attitude and try and retrieve the horse. Tell them "looks like you really don't have much time for him" "why don't you let me keep him for you a little while til you can get around to building him a turn out". It depends on his personality, and that I don't know but it sounds like he is approachable for you now so use good judgement and get your little guy out of there. My qualifications to give you advice - I am a licensed social worker, trained on getting "people" out of bad situations. Hope this helps.

Fiona, you are one of the most centered, good hearted folks I am priveleged to call friend. Go for a friendly visit, bring a goody and chat. That lovely lilt and smile of yours will do you well here. See Red, and leave yourself open to what he says. I think Marty is spot on to approach with good intention and they may breathe a sigh of relief. No one likes to fail in a new endeavor and I think these folks just bit off more than they can chew. I know bringing him home is not an apealing thing with your set up just now, so offer to rehome him? Do the advertising..you're the best at that. I wish you well on this attempt. If all else fails, call the animal welfare folks altho if he has food, water and shelter they may not step up, unless this community does have rules against having horses for pets.

Latest posts

Back