Update on Petunia

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nikki, how's tunia? I feel the need for an update on her!!!
default_biggrin.png

Must be a Wisconsin thing, we're thinking along the same lines.....I have been wondering about Tunia too? Nik, we need a update. Ce

[SIZE=14pt]hey funny you asked, vet was out last night, I showed him a picture of her urine that I had taken (it was on the concrete) it is thick and cloudy. he basically said it wasn't normal but really nothing to do. Her legs and tail are constanly gooed up where the urine kinda justs runs out. this is not going to be good in the spring when the flies come out. we had tried antibiotics but nothing changed and she stops eating, won't even touch grain. he was going to talk to some other vets but we think any surgery is out of the question because the scarring goes so far up. thanks for caring, Nikki[/SIZE]

but other than the weird urine and the scar tissue causing it to run down her legs, does she seem to be ok? i mean, i know it's yucky, but if she's ok otherwise...

but other than the weird urine and the scar tissue causing it to run down her legs, does she seem to be ok? i mean, i know it's yucky, but if she's ok otherwise...

yes, she seems o.k., she does have to strain an awful lot to get anything to come out and the stream has gradually got to a slight trickle. all we really can do is hope doesn't totally close off, we know what to look for if she should start to get toxic so we just watch her...she has lost some weight but won't touch any kind of grain or treats...

I know that this might seem like a weird question, but is there anyway that they can put a catheter in her to drain her urine? I know that people can have what is called a superpubic catheter. Is there anything that they can do for her? This is not the typical catheter that people think about. This catheter goes directly into the bladder. I know for a person that it is a fairly quick procedure.

I sure do hope that everything works out for her. She seems like she is a strong girl that has alot of love around her.

[SIZE=14pt]I am not sure about that type of cath. she has had several and the last one was left in as long as it is recomended. when they are in she has to be on antibiotics and she has been on sooo many for sooo long, they were taking it's toll on her. I will ask if there is a different kind that could be left in. the thing with the others once they are taken out it starts to close up again...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]I was thinking about Petunia this morning! Our bedroom window was open and the donkeys were braying up a storm. Naturally I thought about Tunia... I'm glad she acts like she's feeling okay at least.
default_yes.gif
Hugs...
[/SIZE]

Awww Nik...I have been thinking of Tunia too...always do.

She most certinally is not feeling well if she doesn't want any treats
default_no.gif

that is the first sign something isn't right. How sad
default_sad.png

Did they do a culture on her urine? there has got to be a reason why it is so thick??

Poor Tunia .... Hugs to you both
default_wub.png

Nikki,

Dealing with a sick pet is very stressful. I've had my personal experience this last week. Petunia has been sick for so long now. . . I'm so sorry. I know this is weird, and won't help with her narrowing problem, but can she drink cranberry juice? I've been told to drink this for bladder infections. Maybe a little daily or something. Seriously could it hurt? I was thinking of that cloudy urine issue. Anyhow, I'm sorry and send positive thoughts. The first sighn Ben was sick was not wanting his treats. This is a worry.

chico

Nikki,

Dealing with a sick pet is very stressful. I've had my personal experience this last week. Petunia has been sick for so long now. . . I'm so sorry. I know this is weird, and won't help with her narrowing problem, but can she drink cranberry juice? I've been told to drink this for bladder infections. Maybe a little daily or something. Seriously could it hurt? I was thinking of that cloudy urine issue. Anyhow, I'm sorry and send positive thoughts. The first sighn Ben was sick was not wanting his treats. This is a worry.

chico

[SIZE=12pt]Thanks Chico, yup a little stressful. We think the cloudy urine is because it sits in her bladder but who knows, it couldn't hurt to try the juice. Nikki[/SIZE]

hey Chico that's a very good idea... i know they recommend that for people with bladder problems... and i'd bet she'll drink it! let us know how it goes Nikki!

I have an older mare that has trouble peeing a stream, it will start that way but always ends up trickling down her legs. She also does not lift her tail real well anymore so it gets in her tail.

What we have done is keep the hair on the inside of her legs clipped up and cut her tail short so it is easier for her to lift. Of course her tail is very thick and heavy, not sure if you would have the same trouble with a donk as their tails are usually quite sparse. Oh and we keep bag balm smeared the inside of her legs it keeps her from getting scalded.

Sorry to hear she is having hard times.

Awww, I have been thinking about your Petunia alot lately. I am so sorry to hear that she isn't getting better or stabilizing.
default_no.gif
I was thinking the cloudiness was from sitting in her bladder too. She probably doesn't empty her bladder everytime is she is straining so much. So sad. I so wish there was something more they could do for her. Poor girl. Give her hugs and kisses from us!

Rhonda-Lynne
default_wub.png

Back