Update on filly page-My Mare foaled at day 289, and the kicker is the foal is alive!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triplethorsefarm

Reaction score
I know your first reaction is going to be- she has the wrong dates written down. My sweet mare, Hazey delivered a beautiful tri color filly yesterday, at day 289. The filly is alert, nursing and appears completely healthy. Hazey had a colt last year on March 28th. She was bred April 9, 10, and 11th (hand bred) My stallion never runs with open mares and the mares are always kept stalled with the new foal for at least a week. She was bred on her foal heat 11 days after giving birth to the colt. So, if you count the days, if she came in heat the day she gave birth to the colt last year, than she would have been day 300 yesterday but we all know they can not breed back the day they foal. So here it is, I seem to have a healthy foal born at day 289. To double check my dates I called the vet and asked him to look up the data her last years colt was born (since he saw him that day) So the facts are she delivered her 2010 foal March 28 and her 2011 foal January 2011!!!! I know this goes against everything the books tell us. I will add pics as soon as I can. To top it off, my poor mare delivered outside! I never let my mares foal outside, but I also don't stall them til day 300 so she was still out in the pasture (off fescue of course
default_smile.png

Just thought I would share with everyone
default_smile.png

Little Star as we have come to call her isnt doing as well as we would hope. She was doing good nursing and was alert, although she wasn't quite as active as I expect my foals to be, Her colostrum count is great. However her white blood cell count is low, so we fear infection somewhere, she is not septic but is dehydrated. She is currently under the great care of the Pea Ridge AR Equine Hosp. They have an exceptional staff that truely care for our horses as much as we do. She is hanging in there but hasn't made much progress this evening. They are continuing to provide IV fluids, antibiotics, and 24/7 care. please keep her in your prayers. The pictures were taken at 8 hrous old, much unfolding to do but the Dr says she is fully developed
default_smile.png

th_SANY1321.jpg
th_SANY1316.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It does not surprise me at all - we had a full term healthy filly born at 296 days... and the mare had been fussing and fretting for a week before that! So she could easily have been a 289 day baby.
default_wink.png

And that is one reason that I get concerned when people say their mare is due at a specific date and they will start watching her at at 320 or so... if I had waited until 320 days here, I would have missed 75% of the foals that have been born!
default_yes.gif

Congrats!

I have had mares foal at about that time frame even a bit earlier before as well. I am glad you had a healthy baby where are the pics?
default_smile.png

Congrats on what sounds like a healthy foal at day 289!

In 2002, my Arabian mare "aborted" (what the vet called it at that day in gestation) a live foal at day 295. She was alive, but her ears were shrivelled up and not quite erect, she was not quite ready to live life on her own...you could tell just by looking at the poor girl. She was a beautiful black filly with a small white star. Exactly what I always dreamed of out of this mare. We had vets out all day, trying to determine what we should do. The filly could not get up on her own. She couldn't even whinny, she only bellered...kinda like a sheep would sound like. We milked the mare and tube fed the foal...I wanted her to eat...and see if she'd perk up afterward.

We did x-rays of her joints...to see if she might be developed enough to survive without any problems. Her knees and hocks were all cartilage...no bone had formed yet. Has the vet come out for a well-baby check? I'd at least check her joints....make sure she's not doing any damage if the bone is not fully formed yet.

We let our baby go. She was a little fighter....but the odds were against her. She could not get up, she could barely lay sitting up for more than a few seconds before she fell over. She had no sucking reflex yet. The afterbirth was quite red, infected, and she retained some of it...so there was some infection of some kind going on in there. I never bred this mare again........ I didn't want to risk this happening again, nor did I want to risk losing her if something else was causing this.

You can see a pic of our little filly on my website, on the "memory" page. www.glacierridge.com

Angie

I could tell how excited you were by the...erm...eccentric (?) spelling of the header!

Congratulations!

I have had an abortion at 297 (foal was dead before birth) and a live, happy, healthy foal at 287, from the same mare, so I know you are telling the truth.

I would have an IgG done, just to be safe, but it seems you have a healthy girl- well done littler mare!!

Congrats! can't wait to see pics!

I've had a mare foal a healthy foal at 299 days before, so I am one who always starts the "count" at 300 days (even tho I do random checking of the mares before that).

Many congratulations!! And a filly as well
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

So where are the pictures?

Anna

Congratulations on your 'surprise' filly!! I have read past posts here of several having foals that early. My earliest has been at 307 days. And that mare will be at 300 days Jan. 30th. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new baby girl!

Pam

Congratulations on your new little girl!!! I'm glad everything went well for your mare.
default_laugh.png

CONGRATS!

Our earliest was 291. we have a few mares that always foal that early. It's normal for them.
default_smile.png

Well? Let's see that baby!
default_wub.png

Congratulations!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah I hope she's still doing well for you! I still think we need a rule that you can't post new foal announcements without pictures!!
default_smile.png
Can't wait to see them.

i just recieved a call from the vet and Our Sweet Star didn't make it. He said she was just too small and didn't have enough strength. Her levels were all good or stable so he isn't sure what caused her to go down hill so fast. We were blessed to have her even though it was such a short time. She was an absolute doll and sweetheart. we will miss you dearly Sweet Star. Thank you for all your kind words.

Latest posts

Back