Update on filly page-My Mare foaled at day 289, and the kicker is the foal is alive!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so sorry to hear th enews. I didn't respond to the initial post, but I was routing for her the entire time.

So sorry to hear.
default_no.gif

I'm SO sorry she didn't make it
default_crybaby.gif

She was such a little doll.

i just recieved a call from the vet and Our Sweet Star didn't make it. He said she was just too small and didn't have enough strength. Her levels were all good or stable so he isn't sure what caused her to go down hill so fast. We were blessed to have her even though it was such a short time. She was an absolute doll and sweetheart. we will miss you dearly Sweet Star. Thank you for all your kind words.
Oh... I am so sorry. I saw the initial report earlier today and was so hopeful. I'm sorry she didn't make it. My heart hurts for you.

I'm so very sorry to hear your sad news.

((((HUGS)))) to you and your little Momma mare.

Anna

I'm so sorry for your loss. The early ones can go down hill so very quickly with seemingly no explanation. It's devastating. Hugs to you and your mare.

Thank you everyone for your kind and supportive words. She really was a doll baby. Momma Hazey is doing surprisingly well. In the past this mare has always been very protective over her foals with everyone other than myself, however when I took Star from her to take her to the vet she didn't flinch. She has cried for her once. I think Hazey knew before we did that little Star wasn't going to make it. Hazey is being pampered and loved none the less. Thank you again for you prayers and thoughts. - Theresa

I'm sorry you lost your sweet girl. I surely wasn't expecting to hear this, after your post, and everyone else who said they had early babies.

My mare told me too that her foal wasn't ok, even before I made it out there. That whole thing still hurts...and that was 9 years ago now! She foaled out in the pasture (it was early, I had not started bringing her in yet!), and i saw her standing over a mound one morning....as i started walking out to her, she walked away. As if to know I was there, it was ok. She walked off and started grazing. When I carried the filly inside though, she was right there at my shoulder...and when we let the filly go, I felt horrible doing it, but it's what the vet suggested....we left my mare in the stall with her filly overnight for "closure." To help Kissy (mare) understand what had happened. I think she knew even when the filly was alive....but I did it. The next morning, my husband buried the filly, I could not go down there. And Kissy was fine. So she truly did understand.

I hope your mare, too, understands...and that you are ok. I know what a heartbreak it is. This filly I lost was the one baby I had always wanted out of this mare....a black filly. This mare is very special to me....I have had her for 25 years. I had hoped to have a piece of her even after she's gone. This filly was to be it. But, I never bred her again after that.

Oh no!!!! I was hoping she would be ok. I am so sorry for your loss!!!

My earliest foal has been 310 days and it was just fine on it's own.

Latest posts

Back