Update on Ellies Colic...okay now...but

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElliesMom

Reaction score
Good morning everyone! Im glad to say that seems Ellie is fully recoved from her colic early last week. She seems to be mostly like herself again now which is good, and passing plenty of poops with no mucus.

My worries continue though about this purply color to her gums that doesnt seem to be going away even though they are much better looking than before. I have searched endlessly for answers, even called the vets of kansas state university to see if they had any suggestions.....it remains a mystery still.

I was hoping someone here on the form could offer any suggestions to what the undelying problem/s might be that are causing this circulatory problem??

Is it possible that Ellies gums may just normally have a purple color to them? Her gums are not purple all over, just here and there?

I do have to say her belly seems huge/distended....but of course she has added quite a winter coat to that too, and she has had a pot belly forever so its hard to determine if there is any real concern or not.

I plan to have the vet to do a follow up on Monday and do some blood work to help look for other problems. My gut feeling just tells me that something is not right, and Im scared to death that she might have some terminal health issue....My lack of experience with mini's makes me that much more paranoid.

So please, if you can help me in any way, shape, or form I will be ever so grateful to you.....Im a wreck!

ellie is she black or a black pinto?? they have normally colored purple gums or purple spotted gums. When i got my first couple minis i called my vet in a panic over ones purple gums. he laughed like crazy when he got here and said it was just because she was black pinto
smile.gif

Yes , Ellie is registered as bay pinto, but not a black......I really hope this could be the reason her gums are "spotted" the way the are! But please, everyone else keep leaving any suggestions you have after reading my first posting...Thanks!

Yes horses can have different pigment in there gums it is always good to check those things before the horse is sick( I learned this lesson) so that you know what is normal for each horse including temps some run high some run low.

We had a black walnut tree in CA and the horses loved the walnuts (before anyone panics it is the wood there are said to be issues with) anyway the walnuts turned there gums black.. the first time we noticed it both me and my vet had some momentary panic till we checked everyone else and all there gums were dark due to the black walnuts
smile.gif

I too have seen this trait on pintos and this may be her normal color.

But since the vet is coming out anyway. A vet saw this in a friends mini and immediately checked for a heart murmur. She said that she often sees this when there is a murmur.

Also make sure she does another fecal on her to check for worms. I cant remember if you said she checked her before or not. It is possible to get a culture showing clean if the worms are not in a shedding phase. I suggest this because of the distended belly comment you made.

Thanks - Ill have the vet check for worms as well - he did not do this as of yet.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back