update on Boo (he's home!)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBennettp

Reaction score
Boo went back to the vet yesterday and the leg showed no signs of healing. The vet recommended either putting in a pin or amputation. We brought him home to discuss the options and were to let the vet know this morning.

Boo took the decission away from us last night when he somehow got the cast off. His leg could not be saved and was amputated this morning.

He will be home in a couple of days and after he recuperates, he will make the decision of whether to remain a house cat or go back to the barn.

We did not even consider euthanizing him. The vet was shocked that he got the cast off. He said of several hundred he had done, he had never had an animal get one off.

Anyway, please pray for Boo that he has an easy recuperation.

Mary

Update:

Boo came home last night. He is doing well but the vet tech said getting shaved upset his dignity.

He is doing really well. They took the leg right where it attached to his body. He goes back in 10 days for the stitches to come out.

He actually seems to be wanting to play with the other cats but since he smells different, they aren't too sure about him.

He is eating and drinking well and I think is going to be just fine. There is no swelling and he is leaving the stitches alone but is sure scratching where he was shaved.

Thanks for all the good thoughts and prayers.

Mary

Last edited by a moderator:
Wishing Boo a speedy recovery. I remember the picture of him with his cast, isn't it amazing what these little guys can do? I too am surprised he got the cast off.

Hoping for a fast recovery for Boo. I've seen cats that did great with 3 legs, so I'm sure he'll do fine. He's lucky to have such wonderful owners.
default_wub.png

Prayers are there for Boo. Poor kitty has been through so much. Praying that he'll heal fast.

God bless,

Joan

I am keeping Boo in my thoughts and prayers! He is a strong boy, that is for sure. I think he will do very well -- he's proven he is very tough and he sure is lucky to have you as his owner!

Poor Boo! He's a strong one. He must have been in bad pain with it not healing. He wanted that mean cast off badly! I'm sending him my healing thoughts and prayers that he can now start healing up! He's a lucky boy to have you and Billy!
default_wub.png

Whether you realize it or not, he probably did you a favor. We have a cat who as a kitten, I stepped on and broke his leg. The vet advised us to do surgery to put a pin and a screw in it. All was well for two years, when he started acting kinda strange. Like his leg hurt him all the time. He would sit slumped over, he walked with a gimp, even when he laid down he acted like it hurt if he didn't keep it straight. I took him back in to the vet. Apparently as he grew the pin and screw became the problem. To make a long story short...in the end he still lost his leg.

I feel horrible because who knows for how long and how much pain he was in before it was amputated. Looking back I wish I would have just said to amputate it when it first happened. but as they say "hind-sight is 20/20".

I hope he heals very quickly. Good Luck

I found a cat that someone dumped years ago and he had a deformed.Leg. The vet said it would be best to amputate his leg. He was a barn cat and lived to a old age of 12 when he passed away He got around better then some of our four legged cats. We called him Chester.

Latest posts

Back