Trixie and Carole

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations, she is adorable. After your description of the placenta I would guess that is why she foaled early. I have had exactly the same situation and my vet was present at the birth, she checked the placenta thoroughly and told me it was the reason she didn't carry to full term. These are the cases when it is so important to be there to help as the foal couldn't make it alone. Well done for being such a good mummy
default_firstprize.gif

Keep the pics coming
default_yes.gif

Hello Renee,

I was hoping for someone to post about this. I have a question or 2. Did your vet offer up an explantion for this strange occourance ?

Have you rebred this mare and if so did it happen again ?

It was really a strange looking placenta It wasn't just attached with a thin cord as we think of. , it does make more sense as to way we didn't see hardly any movement and it expains why she was early. This filly of Trixies didn't look like a premie. She is a chunk, and very livey.

Carole

My vet said it was a form of placentitis and did suggest that I didn't rebreed her as this wasn't the first time she had had problems foaling. I had noticed earlier during the pregnancy though that her vulva was dirty (as if she had been leaking) and had asked the vet about putting her on as course of anti biotic just to be safe but she had said it wasn't necessary, I wish I had insisted.

I would ask your vet about having her checked before rebreeding her. I think the vets now suggest a cytology smear in conjunction with an endometrial culture.

We really do NEED some more pics now
default_whistling.gif

Current pics of baby 005.JPGCurrent pics of baby 019.JPGHello

I will call the vet tomorrow a.m. and touch basis with them. I will try to descripe what the placenta looked like. I will ask about the test you told me about also.

I will let you know what he says.

Hello

Okay here is what Dr. Mike said. It was a sterile form of placentitis. He does not know if it would happen with Trixie again . He does not know why it happened.

At this point he thought the test would not gain us any more knowledge, but he thought they would be very helpful before we would breed her again.

At this point in time I have no plans to breed her again at least not for a few years. I will admit it was a scary situation for a while on Friday nite. Fancy has not completely

unfolded, seems to be a wee bit of a issue with the back legs. Vet says it was common with this type of pregancy, but usually the curve is between hock and corrnet but he has seen it above the hock like Fancy seems to be experiencing.

Fancys hair was pretty short like a preemie would be.

Momma and baby are fine today.

I do have a quick question for someone, I don't think she is blink but I do think her vision maybe limited. Is this common for early foals ?

Trixie is a good Momma and has enough milk for 3 or 4 foals.

She is just adorable, congratulations!!! I bet the filly will unfold beautifully, she just needs the time to strengthen those pretty legs.

'Normal' foals have limited vision for a while after birth (let alone one born early) which is why it is so important that they are allowed to bond with their dams at birth - they learn the scent of their dam by interacting with her while searching for the milk bar etc. After a normal birth and a quick check over for baby and dam, any extra human 'help' can mean that baby will pick up on human 'scent' and become confused between that and the scent of it's dam. Which is why (allowing for any medical reason) we say that once baby and Momma have been checked over, remove all humans from the stall and just watch from a distance while baby gets to its feet, meets its Momma properly and eventually finds the milk bar to start nursing - so satisfying to stand quietly aside and watch nature at work!

After an hour or so if Momma seems well settled and with no signs of colic, she can have the first of her wet mushy feeds and her hay supply topped up, plus if you are giving an ivermectin wormer then that can be given in the next hour or so. But if all is well then let them get to know each other and make that important bond, after all baby does actually belong to its Momma not to us!!

Regarding her little legs, bet you will see a vast improvement in a short while - just let her take plenty of exercise to help strengthen things up!
default_yes.gif

She's such a pretty girl - keep those pictures coming!

Yes I agree with Anna, just give her time and her eye sight will be fine and as Anna said leave them to bond without "interfering" smells or noises as her nose and ears are what she is relying on now. Plenty of outside time will strengthen her little legs
default_yes.gif

More pics needed of course
default_whistling.gif

Totally agree! And I also agree that giving baby the opportunity to use her legs will strengthen and straighten them out in no time!!

More pictures please!!

Latest posts

Back