Training ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are going to drop a line behind the horse, may I suggest that you put her in her longing cavesson (or halter) with the surcingle on and snap one long line to the surcingle on the outside. Then run the outside line behind the horse and just longe her like normal on both sides (changing the line so it is on the outside before you drop the line behind her in the bit. This way, if she is reactive, you don't bang the mouth and the horse has a chance to be desensitized to the feeling of the line bouncing across her hind end. You'd start by doing this with the line just connected to the sircingle for a few days. If that goes well, move up to it connected to the halter and then on to the bridle.

A book that may help you is Cherry Hill's 101 Longing and Long Lining Exercises. It's really informative and written in such a way that it is easy to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
RhineStone said:
Leverage bits cannot be used in AMHR shows (which is a crock, considering that the conformation of some horse's mouths really don't lend themselves well to a direct action bit).
Since checks are mandatory and most people use martingales, I still say it's a good thing that leverage bits are controlled. It would be better if there were specific language about which settings could be used instead of banning the bits entirely, but without education it's all too possible to see some poor horse get a broken jaw from being tightly checked up then cranked down and on the last slot of a Liverpool to "control" the horse who is only wild in the first place from the pain. No thank you!
That's true. I didn't think about it that way. It's amazing how many people will do stuff to horses without knowing how or why they are doing it.
default_rolleyes.gif
I still think all of that should be optional, though.

Myrna

"Your horse is making decisions he should not get to make. It is not acceptable behavior. You need to be the "parent" and not rely on some contraption to keep the horse's head up. The biggest mistake that I see horse owners do is allow their horses to graze while in hand. When we have a halter and lead on our horses, it is all business. There is no grazing or smelling the ground. If the horse is allowed to graze on a lead or a longe line, how can they tell the difference between that and a driving harness?
With very persistent horses, I will actually "pop" them in the nose with my foot when they put their head down, and yank on the lead both with a strong "HEAD UP" command. It doesn't take smart ones very long to figure out that when they put their head down that far, that it "stings" a little. You are NOT going to hurt your horse!!!! (Watch a mare correct a foal, she is NOT asking nicely!) Horses don't respect a simple voice command if it doesn't accompany a physical command, at least at first. What do they have to "lose" with just a voice command? It means nothing. Just like a child in church, they need to learn self-control. Going back to the halter/lead will help them figure that out."Myrna
I totally agree with this and have no problem giving them a toe in the nose on the lead because it gets really aggravating having the lead jerked by a horse wanting to get his nose down and graze. Unfortunately there is the occasional horse that is just too smart and learns how to evade and get away with grass grabbing and NEEDS that side check. My little Rocky was never allowed to graze in hand or at any time unless he was turned out and yet in harness he would take EVERY opportunity he saw to grab a mouthful including walk on a loose rein in a dressage test and once in a working class on a field that was mowed rather high he managed to get a mouthful at extended trot without even breaking stride! The judge commented on how very talented he was as we finished the class with a clump of grass hanging from his mouth. A sidecheck became a very useful and necessary requirement for that horse. I don't like being forced by the rules to use one though as most horses can be trained not to grab grass.

I chose that bit after reading a previous posts by Myrna and Leia and after talking with some of the people that I ordered my equipment (harness, cart, etc.) from. According to most that is the most gentle bit. I won't be showing her anytime soon. I went and bought PVC pipes and will hook them up to her when I feel that she is ready and isn't spinning anymore. I have actually been dragging a lightweight, children's, round, plastic, snow sled while I walk her on a lead just so she will get used to the sound. I was intending to let her drag it with a bag of children's play sand on it. I think I'll wait until she has had the pipes experience. I have used ropes all over her - I wrap it around her and pull gently or toss them across her back, neck and legs - ropes don't phase her.

Andrea, I couldn't get the video to open on my computer - it said it was blocked. I'll go to the library today and watch it.

Over the weekend I did go back a step - we went back to the round pen with her open bridle and bit. I put her in full harness (open bridle, crupper, and saddle) hooked the long lines to her bridle with the lines through the tugs on the saddle and the outside line draped behind her rump and asked her to walk, trot, whoa, back and change direction. We did this Friday, Sat and Sun. She did great, didn't miss a step. She was relaxed and responsive maybe even a little bored.

I think going down the drive she wants to graze and then when she can't she gets frustrated - So... I might work her in the round pen a little longer then try her down the drive maybe with sidereins just tight enough to keep her from grazing.

Just checking to see how your training is going now. Hoping you were able to work out some of your issues and things are proceeding forward. Hadn't heard anything for awhile.

One of the forum members offered to come and help with her training. (I'm not sure of the appropriatness of naming who it is without her permission, but if she is on here and wants to ID herself she will. I call her the angel of mercy.) She is now in training with her and is supposed to start this week. We encountered another problem with her. So.... now she is with a profressional trainer thank goodness. I'm so excited and glad and relieved. I miss her a lot already and she just left Saturday. While she is in training I'm renovating her stall, paddock, washing and repairing her harness, planting grass seeds, painting fence posts and checking into creating a paddock paradise track etc.

That's great. Now you can do other things and relax. You will have a wonderful driving horse when she comes home. I feel so blessed to have found Dorothy to train Duckie. Even though I can't be there she keeps me very well informed on her progress and they are doing great.

Please keep us updated on her progress.

Marie

How is your mare doing in her training? Been waiting for an update.
I will out myself, I offered to help with Maggie and well to make a long story short she came here to me. We are progressing nicely still a short ways from hitching. We are making great strides in being forward and not evading. I am enjoying working with Maggie she's such a sweet horse and wants to try and please people. I am glad to be able to help with this situation.

Karen

I will out myself, I offered to help with Maggie and well to make a long story short she came here to me. We are progressing nicely still a short ways from hitching. We are making great strides in being forward and not evading. I am enjoying working with Maggie she's such a sweet horse and wants to try and please people. I am glad to be able to help with this situation.

Karen

Its wonderful you offered to help.
default_aktion033.gif
I'm excited to see how she is doing. Keep us updated on her progress please.

I just wanted to add that at giddy up flix, you can suggest a title.

Well I hitched Maggie to the cart once, that went well for 5 minutes, then it didn't go so well. So back to the drawing board we went with some despooking exercises etc. Hitched her to a tire and she's pulling that fine now, we'll get her back to the cart soon.

Karen

Latest posts

Back