Training to Drive

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VerticallyChallenged

Reaction score
I started ground driving my mini (36" gelding) last summer with halter and lead rope. Once we had that down, I introduced the bit. This winter, I introduced the entire harness. He catches on well and is doing great. I drove years ago, but the horses (draft team) were already broke...so learning to drive on experienced horses was easy!

When the time comes to start hitching him, I have a professional driving trainer who will help me. I am in no rush, and she is quite busy lately, so it's not something we are planning to do very soon. I now have the cart. Both cart and harness were made based on his measurements, I've been trying to do everything just right.

So we've got the ground driving down. Magic has drug things, he's accustomed to dragging a couple of boys around in a sled behind him, and never had any issue with it. We also have a dogsled with steel runners that I have had him drag. Now that I have the cart, I am wondering what I should do with it, without actually hitching him up. What do you all do? Do you let him see the cart moving behind him without the blinders at first, or always with the blinders? I am talking of someone leading him, and someone else walking behind him with the cart. Not having any experience with single hitching/driving (which is why I have requested help from a knowledgeable person), I am not sure how to get him familiar with the shafts. I think the cart is brought up to the horse with the shafts then lowered on him from above. I am not going to attempt to attach the cart to him, because, well, the shaft wrapping stuff, I know NOTHING about! The harness does also have a breeching, and the cart (easy entry) has brakes.

So I'm just looking for opinions on the next step. I want to prepare him as best as I can until he goes to the trainer's farm for the actual hitching and training from there. And... blinders or no blinders to introduce it behind him?

Thanks!

I'm sorry, I did not put this post thru three times, only twice, as I received an error message the first time. Wondering if I can delete them?

I usually lead the horse and pull the cart along side them, bump them with the shafts etc.

Having broke many minis myself, and assisted with numerous big horses, we have always dropped the lines to just above the hocks, and long lined them in circles. ( one line at a time---they were very long lines) this is alot of times one of my determining factors to decide if they are ready to be hooked. This willl get them used to the feeling of something behind them if the cart bumps them from behind. I hope you understand what I am talking about.... And also as some one else suggested, bumping them lightly in the sides with the shafts is very important too... Good luck!!

Back