Training the mentally underdeveloped

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghost Horse

Reaction score
Hello everyone
default_smile.png

I have a year and a half old colt who is quite special. He was weaned at about 3 months old; I bought him at 5 months after he had been sold once or twice and returned to the breeder each time. He has some stifle issues from growth. He didn't fully descent until this October and will be gelding in the next week or so.

My question are there any good methods for training a horse who is mentally underdeveloped? He may be a year and a half, but mentally he is only a few months. I've been taking things slow for him, mostly working on bonding, leading, space, and who is the head horse. Is there anything else to do besides go slow? I know there is now way he will be able to be shown for another year at least, and I don't plan to drive him for another 3 years minimum. I've done a little bit of work putting him in a surcingle and just leading him around with it and doing a little bit of line driving with only a halter on and someone leading him. The thing is, is that he likes to walk on top of you. He doesn't really get the concept of space, he will even walk almost on top of my other mini. Would this because he was weaned and sold at such a young age?

Thank you for any help and I'm sure I'll have more questions as they come
default_smile.png

~Megan

I had one like this or similar. At 2 years 10 mon. he passed from colic. He had been taught to drive and i had driven him 3 times. He was a love bug, and i so miss him. He was a hand full just like yu discribe. When he is gelded, in a few months, you will see major changes. Give him much love and touching, and i believe he will turn out to be a very loyal and eager to please. Keep loving on him, with firm discipline.

Good luck and he is lucky to have you,

Lildrumemr

I am a bit confused - what is there about him that makes you say he is mentally underdeveloped? My experience is that the ones that are really smart are the hardest to train and those that are a bit slower are actually easier to train. I wonder if gelding and some very basic and consistent training will help. If he tends to crowd you when leading and you have a helper, I would try a lead rope on each side. Then he can't crowd either one of you. I wouldn't try anything else until he can lead well and not crowd you. Good luck with him!

Hello everyone
default_smile.png

I have a year and a half old colt who is quite special. He was weaned at about 3 months old; I bought him at 5 months after he had been sold once or twice and returned to the breeder each time. He has some stifle issues from growth. He didn't fully descent until this October and will be gelding in the next week or so.

My question are there any good methods for training a horse who is mentally underdeveloped? He may be a year and a half, but mentally he is only a few months. I've been taking things slow for him, mostly working on bonding, leading, space, and who is the head horse. Is there anything else to do besides go slow? I know there is now way he will be able to be shown for another year at least, and I don't plan to drive him for another 3 years minimum. I've done a little bit of work putting him in a surcingle and just leading him around with it and doing a little bit of line driving with only a halter on and someone leading him. The thing is, is that he likes to walk on top of you. He doesn't really get the concept of space, he will even walk almost on top of my other mini. Would this because he was weaned and sold at such a young age?

Thank you for any help and I'm sure I'll have more questions as they come
default_smile.png

~Megan
these ones are alot of work (phsically) lol!!! they need to learn how to be brave and walk on their own!!! try giving him a slight hip check everytime he leans on you and if he bounces right back ( i am sure he will) do it again. eventually he will figure out that that is your space!

Back