Training Older Donkeys

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jag and Inti's Mom

Reaction score
I have miniature horses and board at a barn that has three mini donkeys. The owner has seen me drive and train my young horses to drive and would like me to teach his three mini donkeys (one or all) to drive. One is a gelding who is so stubborn it is not funny, the other two are Jenny's. One is spotted and the other is typical brown. They are all about 3-5 years old and have not had much handling. Basically, they are led to the pasture in the morning and then back at night to the barn. They do get the farrier regularly, but it is not an easy task for him. Any suggestions would be welcome. I don't know where to start. I know they are different from the minis, but don't have any experience with them. How would I decide which one to start with, how to start, etc.

HELP, HELP, HELP

Nancy

aktion033.gif
Thanks, for the sites. I have scanned them and printed them off. The first thing that I noticed was a list of things the donkey should be able to do before you consider driving them. Out of the 8 things listed, I think we can accomplish 3. The barking dogs are no problem, there are dogs, trucks, etc. at the barn. This will be quite an undertaking, I can see. Wish me luck. I certainly will need it.

I think my girls will only do 2 of the prerequisites!! They love to be groomed (as long as their itchy spots are takien care of) and will tolerate ears and tails being handled...oh as for cars and trucks..no problem

I would have a very hard time with them with dogs...they just hate them!! Tieing...ha...not a chance!! They despise being tied for more the 3 minutes!!

Plus they are all girls and talk about moody!! and very very herd bound!!

Ah well...they are my spoiled pets anyway....who else would lug them warm water in the winter to take off the chill!!

Latest posts

Back