Training for Liberty

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, trying to add two videos of my two best liberty horses. They all have various titles in liberty.

Nitro, he placed first and fourth at a local AMHR show in the B class of approximately 15 entries this past year.

Nitro

Joy, placed first under all four judges with this neat run this past year! She is my favorite to take out into the ring
default_wub.png
She had no training, she just loves the class. She is also very very good with verbal cues!

(Also, this video is great as you can see me throughout the run. You can't hear me, but Joy can and I constantly talk and give physical commands to my horses in this class).

Joy

I have to agree with a lot of earlier posts. I don't like seeing the handlers "chase" the horse. And IMO, the BIGGEST moving horses don't always win, so even if your horse is not a big moving beauty, just go out and have fun. Hope that helps?

I can't wait until the 2012 shows!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Liberty is also my favorite class and I dont train mine either. I dont really train to catch either, my horses are all very friendly so normally isnt an issue. I agree chasing a horse around for a minute and half is not fun. I decided to try a mare in Liberty last year and she would trot a little, stop and stare at me, then when I shook the bag would walk a ways until I shook it closer then would do a little lope and stop again LOL!!! Needless to say that mare is not going to be a liberty horse but is learning to drive since she isnt scared of anything! Anyways I also would not over do the training for catching as we had another horse that belonged to a friend that I helped show and he kept running up to us to try and get caught and even tried to get the photographer to catch him so it was too much of a good thing
default_laugh.png

Okay, trying to add two videos of my two best liberty horses. They all have various titles in liberty.

Nitro, he placed first and fourth at a local AMHR show in the B class of approximately 15 entries this past year.

Nitro

Joy, placed first under all four judges with this neat run this past year! She is my favorite to take out into the ring
default_wub.png
She had no training, she just loves the class. She is also very very good with verbal cues!

(Also, this video is great as you can see me throughout the run. You can't hear me, but Joy can and I constantly talk and give physical commands to my horses in this class).

Joy

I have to agree with a lot of earlier posts. I don't like seeing the handlers "chase" the horse. And IMO, the BIGGEST moving horses don't always win, so even if your horse is not a big moving beauty, just go out and have fun. Hope that helps?

I can't wait until the 2012 shows!
default_smile.png
I couldnt get the videos to open.
default_sad.png

I'm with the others if you need to chase your horse around the ring, then they are not liberty horses. Horse either have it or don't. The handler should be able to use body language or cues to get the horse to move. I don't even use a second person, don't need one. The catch is the most important, but if you practice at home and the horse LOVES you it helps. When I tell my mare to whoa and come she has the look of love in her eyes, she is so soft and I respond. You need to work as one just like in a marriage. True liberty horses love what they do, as soon as the halter comes off they know what to do, animation, all the gaits and have fun. I don't use whips, bags, I do carry a shaker bottle, but sledom need to use it, my mares know their music and to respond to my cues.

A good catch is NOT simply a matter of the horse loving his owner or handler. I've seen so many horses whom I know love their people get too excited in Liberty and simply not be ready to quit.

We clicker-trained Mingus to the command, "halter," and he would stop in his tracks and stick his head into the halter. He adores Keith, but that is NOT why he is easy to catch. He loved him just as much before we taught him the "halter" command, yet he was Zippy the Pinhead when it came to the catch.

My favorite Liberty behavior is not teachable -- it's when the horse responds to the crowd, the judges, and/or the setting. One little colt I saw would race past the grandstand, turn his head up to the people and scream at them. Another ran to the judge's table and tried to pick up one of the trophies -- obviously a horse with a plan! In one of our classes, Mingus kept "buzzing" the judges -- running behind their table and cutting as close as possible, very obviously watching for their reaction. I love a horse with a sense of humor.

We have always done pretty well in Liberty and it is actually one of my favorite classes to show in, we don't do any actual training...just start with a good energetic horse that likes to move and show off - add some creative music - and teach the horse to catch easily, most of the horses I select do the first and last thing decently well.

I have some neat liberty idea's for 2012...I am really excited about a couple of them
default_smile.png

My favorite Liberty behavior is not teachable -- it's when the horse responds to the crowd, the judges, and/or the setting. One little colt I saw would race past the grandstand, turn his head up to the people and scream at them. Another ran to the judge's table and tried to pick up one of the trophies -- obviously a horse with a plan! In one of our classes, Mingus kept "buzzing" the judges -- running behind their table and cutting as close as possible, very obviously watching for their reaction. I love a horse with a sense of humor.

Sounds like a smart horse
default_new_rofl.gif

Really agree with this. When my gelding gets loose he snorts, he throws in little bucks he gives small excited squeals. He loves the atmosphere of the people and the music and just comes to life no matter how long the day is!

I reckon a good liberty horse is born not trained
default_yes.gif

As a trainer that has handled many liberty champions in the AMHR & ASPC show rings, a great liberty horse isn't trained. Great liberty horses just are. The main training that goes into them is the catch part of the performance. There can also be training so that when the handlers cut off the horse, stick out a hand, snap whip or things like that, the horse will trot the other direction, cut the ring in half &/or prance/canter. But, a great horse will natrually flag thier tail, trot/prance nice & high, keep their head up, not stop and stay at the end gate, etc. without training. Here is an ASPC Modern liberty pony that has been in training with us. She has won the liberty class at the ASPC Congress 6 times. RFP River Of Time, (Wy), has been considered by many as the best liberty pony in the Shetlands. This performance was at the 2010 Congress when Wy had a foal on her side. Though she won this class, this wasn't even her best performance.

I have to say that Liberty looks like a class I would enjoy with my 2 year old gelding. Especially if he was cooped up in a stall like everybody else's minis. He has a trot to die for (compared to the rest of my herd! ROFL!) and I'm sure he would enjoy that class just for the heck of it.

We don't train for liberty either, we just pick the horse who is always running around in the pasture being silly and kicking their heels up AND is super friendly. The one who always comes up to you for treats or some love is the one you'll be able to catch in the ring when the music stops. I have seen a couple of "trained" liberty horses

and they almost become wooden and predictable in the ring. Didn't enjoy watching that as much as the ones who just take off and have fun in the ring.

I think a double liberty class would be a hoot. Horses play off each other so much that having two in the ring could be pretty amusing.
I have a 7 month old filly that I have been working with. She and my other 2011 foal love to play together. I think a double would be great!

How old do they have to be or should they be to compete in liberty?

We don't train for liberty either, we just pick the horse who is always running around in the pasture being silly and kicking their heels up AND is super friendly. The one who always comes up to you for treats or some love is the one you'll be able to catch in the ring when the music stops. I have seen a couple of "trained" liberty horses

and they almost become wooden and predictable in the ring. Didn't enjoy watching that as much as the ones who just take off and have fun in the ring.

I think a double liberty class would be a hoot. Horses play off each other so much that having two in the ring could be pretty amusing.
I have a 7 month old filly that I have been working with. She and my other 2011 foal love to play together. I think a double would be great!

AMHR it is one year old, too

AMHR it is one year old, too

Back