Training for Jumping

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManyMinisFarm

Reaction score
Hello, I need some ideas on jumps for my mini. And also some jumper training tips. If you guys could post pictures of your own jumps that would be great.

Can you be more specific about jumping tips? What stage is your horse at? How old? etc etc
default_smile.png

If your horse is just starting out, begin walking him over ground poles and then graduate to small cavaletti. Once he is in shape from regular lunging (or round pen work) you can begin working him over small obstacles. I built my jumps out of 4x4 posts with 2x4 bases on the standards with wooden poles. Many people like pvc poles because they're light weight but I like wood b/c I seem to have tovreplace them less with so many people using my jumps.

To start out, you can just lay poles on the ground. Long tree logs work well too. To raise them for cavaletti you can prop them up on buckets or cinder blocks ( only recommended if trotting horse over jump not lunging as if he refuses and hits it he can get hurt). Hay bales, barrels and planks are all suitable for building jumps. Use your imagination while keeping safety in mind.

When schooling your horse on jumps remember to take it slow do he does not get injured and always end on a good note so it stays fun and he remains willing. If you plan to show him over fences you will have to work on his gait and stride to maintain consistenty through the course. Check the rule book for the organization with which you're showing for the rules. Usually Jumping classes are judged on the horses ability to clear the fence in the shortest time and hunter classes are judged on the horses form, approach, recovery, consistent speed and gait. At home you can lunge over jumps or build a jump chute for free lunging but in the show ring you will lead the horse over every fence on foot. Have fun.20121209_064457.jpg

Back