Training for Jumpin

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Horse Lover

Reaction score
Hey guys! Just wondering how you train for jumping? I'm a halter person but also love the jumping. I know everyone has their techniques!

Thanks!

Hey guys! Just wondering how you train for jumping? I'm a halter person but also love the jumping. I know everyone has their techniques!
Thanks!
First don't jump them too soon; wait until they are thru growing which is why they can't jump in shows until they are 3. Start with trot over poles and get them to stay with you (not ahead nor behind). When they're used to going willingly over the poles without ticking them raise the poles to say 6" then 12". Almost any horse can and will go over 12-18" jumps. After that you may want to raise them only 2" at a time as once they start knocking into them they lose confidence in themselves. So always end a jumping session on a positive note. If they've hit a pole or two lower it back down to where they can go over easily. Keep the jumping sessions short so they don't get over worked or bored. Give lots of praise for doing it right; just like any other training. Also just like obstacle class where you train for the unexpected, if you're going to do the jump class, use all sorts of odd looking jumps - color the poles, use paneling to fake walls, use flower boxes, throw a green rug over boxes for a "roll" jump. Using all these unusual things will get them to go over whatever you ask them to without hesitation.

My stallion did not like jumping (he'd sometimes balk at home for anything over 18") but once he saw others at a show and got into the line practicing with the others then it all seem to "click" for him. He does hunter willingly now but 24" seems to be his limit.

My filly doesn't know the word quit. AMHR limits the height of their jumping course to 30" and the jump-off is timed. However, we recently participated in an AMHA show where they raise the jumps all the way to 44" to find the winner. She cleared about 34-36" (higher than I've sever ask of her) before she started knocking them down and she only measures 33 3/4. So a lot of the jumping depends on the horse's attitude.

Oh I know they can't be shown until 3 and not to work them until later. I love halter but I think performance is more my style because I'm not too into breeding yet and all that. So halter would be difficult on smaller acres and limited money.

I bought some jump cups from aperson thatsells dog agility products. These cups go on a 2" PVC pipe used for the upright. I think I am goingto use 1 1/2" PVC for the cross bars though. They are still thick enough but light enough for training. I also found another way of making your jump cups that would use apin to hold the cup in place. Anyway I woulduse ground poles for a bit and then move the horse up to cavaletties and then to a 12" jump. Once you are up to 12" the rest should be a snap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sandee GREAT REPLY!!! everyone starting out needs to read that, especially on finishing on a good note and the horse loosing confidence.....I am back into showing after about 6 years of being out....and I have forgotten a lot , we did what your saying to do , and it was great for my horse . I printed this out and will share with my European friends that need the knowledge. So ,3 or later is a good age to start? I remembered 2 was an absolute NO NO
default_rolleyes.gif

first- don't breed. there are 10's of thousands of FABULOUS minis out there that need great homes. I find superstars ALL the time.

start with ground poles. then get them to do the pattern with no halter, then when you raise your jump to 3-6 inches, get them going over it, then move to no halter. I only have Duke to 18 inches with no halter, higher than that he is like- Oh, there is the gate, I think I jumped too high and I'm outta here. ha ha ha

Performance classes are a BLAST !!!!! good luck

I have my 2 year olds jumping 6 inches. and my yearlings doing ground poles. it is really teaching them to keep up with you or staying back with you. so I love hunter cause it is like showmanship over jumps!

So what's the trick in turning to the right in a jumping course? I didn't think it would be that hard at a show and it is after a few jumps and a quick right turn.

Turning right requires practice! Be sure you work them in both directions and sometimes just trot around things to get them used to staying next to you. Turning right is more important in hunter, where I think a nice smooth turn will impress the judges, but in jumper you still need to make sure they have enough room and long enough sight line after you turn and before the jump.

Some great advice here, but I train ours just a bit differently than some. I will usually start out (after ground poles and low rails) with a SOLID jump like a small tree trunk. This is especially helpful if you have one that is lazy or less than honest, as it will teach them to pick up their feet! We have some that will push a pole down with their feet or nose if they aren't in the mood! But 5 of our 8 minis jump pretty well - all except the bred mare and the mare and foal. We usually set up the jumps in the back yard where they can be seen from the turnout, and when we jump one, the others line up for their turn! (We also let them graze very briefly when they are done).

We sometimes raise the jumps one END at a time, if the horse is having problems with it. For some reason, that seems to help.

I start my minis in the round pen free jumping. I'll start with them trotting over ground poles and then put standards up and they learn to go between them. Next I pile the poles so they have to hop over it. From there I make it an X and then finally a regular jump. I can do a lot of training when they're young.....just not start really jumping them until they're older. For me they seem to do well when I free jump them first, seems to build their confidence. If they should duck out of the jump I immediately make them reverse, jump, reverse and jump again. It doesn't take them long before they realize it's a lot less work being honest! Next step is to have them jump beside me. They need to stay with you....not charging ahead or pulling behind. I'll use a crop to encourage them not to lag and half-halts on the lead rope to keep them from charging. Of course.....lots of praise and I also use treats to back it up. That right hand turn can be tough but if they've learned to stay beside you they'll turn better. I do lots of figure 8's at home. The other thing is....you have to look where you're going! Don't look down at the jump your horse is going over, look ahead to the next jump.

Latest posts

Back