Trainers In NW Indiana?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jason Prince, Excaliber Training...is in Herscher illinois, not far

Last edited by a moderator:
Still about an hour and a half away. I'm in Merrillville, IN...Kinda a long drive unless he doesn't let you work with the horses at all, then it would be kinda worth it then. I know some trainers want you to stay out of the program for training purposes, like so I don't mess it up lol.

Just checked out the website...pricey...How good are these people? I mean $350 a month for just halter? Not saying I wouldn't pay good money for a great trainer, but I would want some opinions on them before I sent my horse out lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually that is not pricey at all, fairly average. All I can say I have sent them some pretty difficult horses and they have done an amazing job with them....the horses love them

Amber Kildow is a little north of Indianapolis and Darren Southwick is in southwest Michigan.

I agree $350/month is average to low. Realize that is little over $10/day for hay,grain,stall,barn,lights,tack,stall cleaning,grooming, AND training. Probably means its a less than minimum wage job, but those who do it, love it and are willing to work very long hours to make a living.

Dr. Taylor

I agree with Dr Taylor, that is very minimal to pay. Most full boarding facilities charge that much for just board.

And if the trainer makes as many repetitive trips to the center ring for Grands, they have to put in the effort (time and sweat) to get those laurels.

Yeah I just calculated all of that out lol. It's just in my area $350 a month is what you pay for Halter training a large horse, and I've never sent a horse for training before so I wasn't really aware the prices were pretty similar for a mini. There's a place in southern Indiana that only charges $150 a month but it's like 3 hours away.

If you are looking at halter training and want to do it yourself, there is a great book "Training the Halter Horse" by Danny Handland (SP) that offers a lot of great basics to preparing a halter horse and showing one.

If you are looking at halter training and want to do it yourself, there is a great book "Training the Halter Horse" by Danny Handland (SP) that offers a lot of great basics to preparing a halter horse and showing one.

Showing will also cost more, if you have a trainer show you horse, you would have to pay hauling fees, daily show fees, prep fees such as clipping, as well as other fees. Ask for a rate sheet for all the details involved in showing.

It was $150 a month for training, but that doesn't include board. I have a training book for halter by Pat Elder "Training and Showing Your Miniature Halter Horse" I'm just not the best at following books. I'm much better live with the horse, or maybe even a DVD? But the DVD collections are so astronomically expensive.

Wow, board around here is $300 a month without training so Jason/Excaliber is really at a good price. I know for a fact that he is a good trainer. I also know that he is almost full right now but it would be worth your time to contact him.

Wow crazy! I think I'm going to contact him here as soon as I get that money :p From what I'm hearing he sounds like an awesome trainer.

Latest posts

Back