Tractor Suggestions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TN Belle

Reaction score
Hubby is wanting to get a tractor as our Christmas present, we desperately need one trying to build a farm. It needs to have earth moving abilities and attachments for mowing and post hole digging. Maybe even need a disc and broadcaster for reseeding.

We found one used including a trailer for $12K and it had a mowing deck and post hole digger with a bucket front. I am not sure what year it was, but had 700 hours on it and looked clean enough. Don't remember the brand, never heard of it, it was foreign though, and the picture was black and white, so I don't know what color it is.

Any suggestions on what to get, what to avoid, what's too much. We have five acres that roll pretty good with at least one good size hill. I hope to have at least two pastures for now, about an acre and a half each, then once we can clear the back and move some dirt, another pasture and maybe an arena. I already have my eye on a manure spreader too.

We started with an old - really old - Ford 8N. He used it to mow and drag the arena primarily for years, then bought a used but newer Massey Fergason. Used it pretty hard clearing our new place and getting it set up, and last year bought a new! John Deere with front end loader and some other toys. He really likes it, although is wishing he had gotten the 4 wheel drive version.

Jan

Kubota !!!
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
We bought one new about 5 ? years ago . Best thing we ever bought ! It has a front bucket , back blade for plowing snow and spreading dirt and we recently bought a brush hog for it for mowing the horses fields . Ours is a 30 ? horse , not small but not too big , it's just right ! We use it for just about everything around here. Kubota's are all four wheel drive so no getting stuck and ours has a hydrostatic drive which means that it has one petal for forward and reverse and when you let up it stops no brakes to hit ! It does have a parking brake for when you leave it running and want it to stay put. I use it more than my husband does , never would I have thought that I would be out there by myself working with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kubota for sure. Ours is 4 years old now and I couldnt live without it. We have the rototiller but wish we'd bought the post hole digger. There are all kinds of attachments for them and it has been 100% reliable. It was just over $19,000 new with the rototiller attachment. OUrs is not the hydrostatic one we have brake clutch just like any other vehicle and I also use it more than anyone else here. OUrs isnt the biggest I think it is the 3rd from the largest and we do have 2 or 4 wheel drive. I LOVE IT.

We have one little kubota that we bought this summer to get round bales in and out of one barn with low head room. It's 43 hp. 4x4. Hydrostatic drive. Not my choice but it works well for what we bought it for. Our other tractors are 110-135 hp (John Deere, Ford, Massey).

What ever brand you buy make sure there is a dealer reasonably close and that parts and service are availble. Some of the off brands are made in Korea, India and China. They are priced lower but how long will they last and how long will they stay in business?

Mark

I recommend Kubota or John Deere. Actually see what you can get serviced in your area first. We bought a 2004 John Deere 110 3 years ago. It has hydrostatic transmission and four wheel drive. It has been great! We got it used at 30K with only 70 hours on it. It came with a back hoe and a bucket. We bought a 3 point attachment for implements. We have bought so far a set of forks, finish mower (the riding lawn mower hasn't been used since), a tine rake for the drive way, and post digger. We are happy we didn't buy anything smaller. We took a year of doing research for what we got. We have said many times that if we had bought something smaller we couldn't do many of the things we have done with it. We use it for some hay making too. It is very easy to drive. We are now in the market for a larger tractor to help with hay making.

My opinion: Write down all of the jobs you need it to do and consult with local farmers in your area to get their opinion regarding what horsepower you need, abilities, etc. Good luck. Happy Shopping!!!
default_saludando.gif

Ha Ha!

Look at the Mainah replies.......

Kubota and Deere it's what we can get worked on around here...

default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif

I would get a 4 wheel drive diseal, New Holland, Ford, Massy, John Deere a well known brand. I would stay away from the other "grey market" stuff. (Kubota has been around for a while they should be easy to get parts for). We have a Inernational Harvester (Farmall C) that is 1 year older then me (still works better too) and a 33 hp diseal 4 wheel drive New Holland (formally Ford).

We have 2 CASE IH tractors and love them. Parts are easy to get too. Go to my website and look at Our farm section, there is a photo of one of our tractors there.

Definately look for what you can get with a service plan in your area if your not into do-it-yourself. We found a new nice litte crate tractor for under 10 grand with a bucket loader and box drag. The small company that imports them has a great service plan but we probably won't need it because he it the ultimate fix it guy.

The one we got is a Jinma. It has so much more than any of the other big name brands, 3 cy diesel, power steering, 4 WD, came stock with the roll bar, driver cover, US safety standard etc. Several friends have had theirs for years, work them hard and haven't had any more problems than encountered with the other brands so we decided to go with it and save the extra $10000. We have smaller acreage but we've cleared about half of it with the tractor so far and haven't had a bit of trouble with the power or things not working as they should. We also got a quick hitch so that even I can put on the attachments now.

Latest posts

Back