Top 12 Reasons People Voted Democrat in 2008

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just one thing to say after reading through the last few pages of this thread...if you don't have many commas, don't feel too bad, because apparently the number of commas one has means absolutely nothing in terms of being a nice person. In fact, perhaps more commas have a negative effect on personality?
default_biggrin.png

Now, I'm not keen on popcorn, but some strawberry cheesecake should do quite nicely.

I have just one thing to say after reading through the last few pages of this thread...if you don't have many commas, don't feel too bad, because apparently the number of commas one has means absolutely nothing in terms of being a nice person. In fact, perhaps more commas have a negative effect on personality?
default_biggrin.png

Now, I'm not keen on popcorn, but some strawberry cheesecake should do quite nicely.
Okay, for fear of being considered a tech noob - what the heck are these comma things you're all talking about lol???
default_unsure.png

I got lost also, at first I was thinking comma's in income, but maybe the comma's in the listing of jobs, not really sure . . .
default_rolleyes.gif

default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif

THIS is so common sense and this is what drives me batty about those preaching merit pay/free market education for teachers! I run a business and if I have an employee who isn't doing their job I'll fire them without blinking an eye. You can't do that in a school! You can't take the kids in the class who don't want to be there, don't want to learn, want to disrupt etc and kick them out. It's not going to happen. Like you said...it doesn't matter how good you are at your job - your hands are tied by the kids not wanting to learn. The free market/merit pay argument is so backwards because it can't work. What if I had an employee who was preventing me from doing my job and I couldn't do anything about it - should my pay suffer because of that? No way! Not if there was nothing that I could do about it. Free market/merit pay would only work in the public school system when teachers can fire everyone in their class not wanting to be there and learn and we all know that's not going to happen because of the millions of kids who'd have no education. Now I want to say - I'm not a teacher, don't have a relative who is a teacher, don't even have close friends (other than good relationships with my kids teachers) who are teachers, I just know what's fair and what's not. And excuse me but if we don't have an educated tomorrow then we, as a nation, have NOTHING.

And while we're bashing the public employees - which seems to be a favorite of the far right wingers - on 9/11...just WHO was running IN while everyone else was running out?

Thank you! So glad someone gets what I was trying to say! Hooray!! LOL That is exactly the problem with trying to make education run like a "business." We're not building widgets, we're building the future! And I LOVE your last line! As the daughter of a retired SWAT team member and the sister of a detective, besides being a teacher and being married to a teacher, I have a fondness for our public employees!

Barbara

I believe she (minimor) was commenting on not worrying about how much money one makes as money does not make you nice or not nice I dont know that is how I understood it but then I did not eat my chocolate or my popcorn yet and now all I can think about is smores

Thank you! So glad someone gets what I was trying to say! Hooray!! LOL That is exactly the problem with trying to make education run like a "business." We're not building widgets, we're building the future! And I LOVE your last line! As the daughter of a retired SWAT team member and the sister of a detective, besides being a teacher and being married to a teacher, I have a fondness for our public employees!

Barbara
You're welcome
default_biggrin.png
I think a lot of folks got what point you were making.

I believe she (minimor) was commenting on not worrying about how much money one makes as money does not make you nice or not nice I dont know that is how I understood it but then I did not eat my chocolate or my popcorn yet and now all I can think about is smores
I think you're right....and now I have a giant craving for smores hahahaha

Smores, yes, I could use some of those too! I don't even have the fixins for those--will have to buy some tomorrow.
default_yes.gif
For tonight I have to make do with ice cream and saskatoon berries. Major hardship.

And yes, Lisa is right--the commas are those in the income amount, (when they first came into the conversation I had to read a couple of posts twice before I figured that one out.
default_rolleyes.gif
) and honestly it does take more than an extra comma or two to make a better person.

LOL! Commas... I even keep an uppity one in my name.

My profession means I must "worry" about money... the money other people entrust to me is extremely important to me and, in my world, an awesome responsibility. The money I must earn to pay the salaries of staff is also something important to more than just yours truly. I never mentioned a 1040 or personal income here, did I? However, I know the limited appeal of any actual facts.

If the above makes some people on LB think I'm a bad person, if sticking up for myself makes them think of me me a bad person, if standing up to or outing (not in the orientation sense) some extreme "jack-butt's" makes me a bad person, if the 12+ years of my real personality "shining" here makes anyone think less of me, or if honestly anything makes anyone here think I'm a bad person -- does that exactly change my life or the reality of who I am? No.

At any rate, it seems like you all need a little more fuel for the fire you're trying to enjoy. It's barely got a spark now. Keep pretending you don't check and re-check to see if there's any thing new and "juicy" to read on this thread if that makes you feel better about yourselves. Oh, and please, don't feel like you must continue to withhold any political insights to the political threads you follow, scold others on and gossip about. Thinking is really hard work
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Heck I am not going to deny I am coming back here- with no gym and not even being able to ride my new horse and having to sit with ice on my knee for 30 minutes at a time several times a day and school not starting for a couple weeks I do not have alot to do and find myself with plenty of "computer" time these days

And Jill no way does money make ya a bad person in my book. Heck in these times those that are lucky enough to be doing ok - more power to them.

My dad was a finanacial planner all his life prior to retiring.. needless to say I do not make him proud when it comes to that aspect of life
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

At any rate, it seems like you all need a little more fuel for the fire you're trying to enjoy. It's barely got a spark now. Keep pretending you don't check and re-check to see if there's any thing new and "juicy" to read on this thread if that makes you feel better about yourselves. Oh, and please, don't feel like you must continue to withhold any political insights to the political threads you follow, scold others on and gossip about. Thinking is really hard work.
sigh.gif

Jill - that ^ was a bit much. I come back to this thread to see how the discussion is going (as I do for many threads on many topics - go figure!) - there was a good one going for a while there. And I do contribute political thoughts/concerns.

If you wish to be "juicy" and deliberately continue to stir the pot and sneer like that, it is no one else's doing but your own. Your choice. Your words. When you post llike that ^ , do you really think people are not going to respond or have an opinion? You deliberately light fires, fan the flames with great enthusiasm and then complain about the smoke... well, regrettably it does not work that way. You tend to reap what you sow. Take responsibility for your own actions and the seeds you have sown.

However, I know the limited appeal of any actual facts
sigh.gif

Here are some facts - you are the one who has reminded us in assorted threads how vastly superior your income and job is.... being successful does not make you a bad person in any way but bragging about it the way you have at times is not exactly... professional, for want of a better word. You are the one who sneered at kaykay for jobs she had had. You were the one who started that little discussion. You are the one who paints that picture of yourself - none of us are responsible for that.
default_unsure.png

Nathan and I just carried on in that vein with a little bit of wry humour.

COMMAS!!
default_biggrin.png
Yes, commas as in 1,000,000. A little bit of tongue in cheek smiling
default_laugh.png
as commas seemed to be important as a way of determining how important one's job was.... or how important one was as a person.
default_wink.png

if sticking up for myself makes them think of me me a bad person
It is how you do it - not the fact that you do it that goes awry at times. It is not the fault of anyone reading or posting here that you pat yourself on the back over and over again about your "instinct" to "stand up for yourself" (that you think no one else has) as a way to justify everything you have said to people - no matter how inappropriate or rude. That is not instinct - just a lame excuse.

Oh well. It does not matter what anyone says or how much they try to put together a calm, measured post.... we will just be dismissed and told that "thinking is really hard work".
sigh.gif

And the only "tone" in this post is what those emoticons demonstrate.... one long, sad sigh. Nothing "juicy'.

Happy Day After National Smores Day!!
default_new_shocked.gif

amerapprec.jpg

Oh wow. Today is not only the day after National S'mores Day! It's also National Presidential Joke Day!

I kid you not: http://upstatesc.tow...ner.com/events/

SO, in honor of this most special day, here you go:

Q. Why isn't TSA catching any terrorists?

A. They don't screen passengers on Air Force One.

Q. What's the difference between Obama opponents and Obama supporters?

A. The first group works for a living while the second group votes for a living.

Q. What's the only thing thinner than Barack Obama's résumé?

A. His skin.

284209_10150236920043155_522573154_7384298_2722035_n.jpg

Sorry if this is too on topic for a political thread!

Now see, I think jokes about peoples Race and Sensitivity shouldn't be considered "political topics".

But the fact that you see the two as one and the same actually explains alot.

A little food for though. Lets say you were watching a hilarious but offensive show, say for example, South park, and a group of people are being made fun of. You are laughing and entertained. What if someone from that group came into the room. What if they were grossly offended. Would common decency make you turn it off, or at least admit, that while you find it funny and entertaining, you respect them enough to apologize for it insulting them. Isn't there a line of decency that, while we allow the free market to cross it to boost ratings and help our economy, should still be considered.

I think we all need to think about where our own lines are before we speak, and not allow ourselves to make excuses to rationalize what would otherwise not be allowed, like, oh its national make fun of a race day. You want to make a political joke, make one about politics, not race.

Just a Little FYI, found this rather easily and quickly,

Presidential Joke Day - presidents have a sense of humor, too. Many people believe this is a day to make jokes about the president. On the contrary, this day is for presidents to make a joke. On this day in 1984, President Ronald Reagan made a doozie.

On August 11, 1984, just before his regular Saturday radio address, President Ronald Reagan was doing a voice test with the microphone. He thought the microphone and the feed was not live. He joked into the microphone: "My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing begins in five minutes." To his surprise, he was speaking to a live feed!

This incident led to the creation of "Presidential Joke Day". However, we do not think American presidents will make it a habit to perform jokes on, or to, the American public on this day, or any other.

Regarding what andi-James just posted (one above his most recent), we could also just continue to clearly label political threads as such so that no one "walks into the room" and is unexpectedly offended
default_yes.gif

closedeyes.gif
I am REALLY trying to stay off this topic but *DANG* Jill, you are really over doing it now
default_hot.gif

Now see, I think jokes about peoples Race and Sensitivity shouldn't be considered "political topics".
What?

Did you read the TSA joke to refer to Obama's race? Or support of Muslims? Because I read that joke as a reference to Obama's questionable friendships (Bill Ayers, for one).

The joke that mentions skin was regarding thinness (not color).

I said and meant nothing racist.

I agree Jill, I would LOVE some political topics, but don't trick people into the room, letting them think there is an educated conversation going on about politics, when in reality it is actually just a bunch of generalized, or in this case, personalized, uneducated racist Jokes.

I agree Jill, I would LOVE some political topics, but don't trick people into the room, letting them think there is an educated conversation going on about politics, when in reality it is actually just a bunch of generalized, or in this case, personalized, uneducated racist Jokes.
Oh for Pete's sake, James!
default_biggrin.png

Do you sincerely think I "tricked anyone into the room" by by baiting them with the idea that I was going to provide a solid list of reasons I think people voted for Obama? AND TWELVE of them at that LOL! There's just no way I could. Can you even say you think that's what I did out loud without smirking?
default_rolleyes.gif

Let me just quote the topic title and subtitle: "Top 12 Reasons People Voted Democrat in 2008: laugh, frown, or take your pick".

Now, I'm going to go work with some client commas.

PS you didn't get back to me about what you found racist. I know it's an easy card to play, but maybe harder to back up?

Jill, I most definitly read the first joke as a reference to his muslim background and connections. As I suspect the original writer may have intended it. I guess either one of us could be correct, there is no way to know.

For someone who keeps being missunderstood and vilinized you sure haven't got any more carefull chosing your words.

default_wacko.png
Good grief Jill !!
default_1857272.gif
Can't you give it a rest ???????????

Back