Today is my anniversary

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovinarabs

Reaction score
Us on adoption day. And you thought the Great Pumpkin was just a Charlie Brown movie. he he

33_348.ts1145369432936.jpg

Romeo, Romeo, Where Fore Art Thou Romeo

A year has passed between us and today I look back over the road we have traveled together. I think back to the first time I saw your picture on the St. Francis website. You were a gorgeous, pinto/arabian cross with a certain look about him. They called you, Lasato, Lou for short, which meant bright star. The look in your eyes told me you were a bright star, even though no one had tapped into that tremendous stellar quality yet. Mary sent out a request for homes for horses and I kept looking at your picture. Such a gorgeous and commanding presence you had through that simple frozen image. Your soul pierced mine across the many miles between us.

The email came across from Mary to take a second look, she was sure there was something special about you. My heart was screaming for me to bring you home, but my head was saying that you were too much horse for me. So much had gone wrong for me with the wrong horses at the wrong time and I had lost so much confidence. A sweet gentle old soul was starting to rebuild that confidence, but it was like a newly sprouted flower; tender and delicate in its first opening stages. I didn’t know if I had the courage to take on the challenge of an untrained 8 year old. With Mary’s gentle prodding and Shannon’s support I made the leap of faith. Faith that I would be able to someday help you to become the horse I saw burning in that soul.

I felt the need to give you a new name. Your nickname, Lou, did not seem to fit the majestic and marvelous creature I saw before me. I wrote lists of names and researched hundreds of ideas. With the help of the family we narrowed the list to a few and asked for Mary’s help in choosing the right name to rechristen you with. It was she that helped us settle on Romeo. She knew as I do now that you were a loving and sweet fellow who needed a name that fit. She was so right about so many things.

The instant I met you, I knew that the name was perfect. Even though you were unsure of the stall and missing your pasture mate, you were still affectionate and loving. You wanted all of our attention. The moment came to load you in the trailer and bring you home. This process did not go smoothly as it soon became obvious that loading in the small confines was not what you would choose to do. Simple modifications and a larger space made all the difference. Into the trailer you went and we made our way homeward.

Upon arriving home, after an uneventful trip, we unloaded in semidarkness and I proceeded to take you on a tour of your new pasture. Around the perimeter we went with you being an eager and excited companion. You couldn’t wait to be turned loose. Freedom gained was a cause for celebration and a greeting with Taron. The two of you settled your disagreements and went off to enjoy the wide open spaces.

The next weeks were spent getting to know you. While I continued to be amazed at your affectionate and kind nature, I was also increasingly nervous about the date your training would begin. I was certain that there was no way I could train your outgoing and energetic self and set out to find the right person to help you on the path to becoming a riding horse. Teresa offered to help me find the right trainer and gave me many people to try. She then came to meet you, and after spending a few minutes with you said, “I’ll train him.†Even she could see the potential in you.

Although you didn’t want to load in the trailer to make the trip to her training facility, you finally agreed to meet the challenge. Throughout your training you amazed Teresa with your ability to learn and learn quickly. While it isn’t necessary for a trainer to love her horse, you quickly won her over with your willing attitude and intelligence. After only 4 days of training I was able to sit upon your back. Our first ride together. I will never forget the incredible rush of excitement and joy I felt that day. There are no words to describe the feeling that overwhelmed me as I sat in that saddle and felt your energy and gentleness vibrating throughout your relaxed body.

Your training continued and after only a few weeks under saddle Teresa brought you to a fun day for our saddle club. I took you in the ring and entered a showmanship class. Together we brought home a second place ribbon. And then Teresa had me enter the walk/trot class. I was so nervous and I am certain that I did not help you at all. But you maintained your composure in that frightening and new atmosphere. While we didn’t win the blue, I couldn’t have been more thrilled with your performance.

Your training continued until the day that I set out with Teresa for your first big trail ride. This was my time to give you a chance to prove what you had learned, and for Teresa to teach me how to ride you. Never thinking it was possible, you and I sent out for a wonderous day of adventure and fun at the state park. We crossed rivers and climbed hills. You dealt with meeting and passing riders, a scary clanking wooden bridge and the ultimate challenge; a yard full of chickens. I was so proud and astonished at how well you behaved. I never thought it possible that we would meld so well together.

That day you came home from training to stay. We continued to become riding companions throughout the summer, and although the trip wasn’t always without its ups and downs, I wouldn’t trade one minute of our time together. I have so many wonderful memories of each ride we took down the trail. I keep them safe in a special place so I can pull them out and remember the joy I felt on those warm summer and fall days.

Just over a year ago I was searching for a long lost equine companion. My heart ached for the bond that I had shared with a dapple gray Arabian. I thought I would never find a horse that I had connected with like I had with him. I thought I would never feel the love, the invisible binding threads holding us together as I had with that young colt. That horse is lost to me forever, but yesterday, as I stood in the warm spring sun and you rested your muzzle upon my shoulder, as you love to do, I know that my earlier relationships with horses were all leading up to this moment. This moment, when I would find that one horse, the one that gets me. The one that truly understands me in all senses of the word. I feel your emotions as you are feeling them and I know that you feel mine. I know that at any moment of the day or night I can enter your world and together we can shut everything else out and it will just be you and me. I have laid my head upon your shoulder and cried out my problems as you stoically offered support. I have teased and played with you and have seen a gleam of mischief in your own eyes. Many people would find it ironic that the horse that has given me the most challenges over the past year has also been the horse that restored my confidence in myself. You have made me happy. I have found my true equine soulmate. That is what I saw in your eyes a year ago and that is why you and I will be forever together.

To you Romeo, on this our anniversary day, thank you.

6783268_348.ts1165504794407.jpg

Thank you so much! I knew that some of you would understand that feeling. Today was a great day.

Latest posts

Back