to make a difference

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesper

Reaction score
This has been translated so bear with me if there are some poorly translated stuff here and there:

One day in 7th grade. I saw a boy from my class walking home from School, his name was Morten.

It looked like he was carrying all his books.

I thought, why is he bringing all his books home on a Friday, he must really be a bookworm.

My weekend was planned (Party that evening, and football with the friends the next day). I shrugged and continued walking.

When I walked off, I saw a bunch of kids pushed him so he fell and all his books fell to the ground.

His glasses went flying and I saw they landed in the grass 3-4 yards from him.

He looked up and I saw this incredible sadness in his eyes.

I felt sorry for him so I went over to where he was crawling on the ground looking for his glasses and I saw he had tears in his eyes.

I handed him his glasses and said "Those stupid kids should get a life".

He looked at me and said "Hey, thanks!".

His face was now one big smile.

It was one of those smiles that really showed greatfulness.

I helped him collect his books and asked where he lived.

It appeared that he lived quite close to me, so I asked him why I had never seen him before.

He explained that he had been at a private school before.

We talked all the way home and I helped him carry his books.

I found out he was a really nice guy.

I asked him if he wanted to come and play football with my friends and I tomorrow and he said yes.

We hung out together the whole weekend, and the more I get to know him, the better I liked him, and my friends thought the same, they really liked him too.

Monday morning came, and so did Morten with all his books, I stopped him and said to him "Man you must be getting some big muscles from carrying all those books every day".

He laughed and gave me half of the books.

Through the next 3 years Morten and I became best friends, we were now in 9th grade.

We talked about what we wanted to do after the summer, he wanted to be a doctor and I wanted to be salesman.

We also talked about the distance between us after the summer and agreed it would not be a problem, we would always be best friends.

Morten was chosen to do the graduation speech.

I teased him with him being a geek when I found out.

I was happy it wasn't me doing that speech.

Graduation day - I saw Morten

He looked really happy

He had grown the last 3 years and was a really good looking guy.

I could see he was nervous about the speech.

I padded his should and said "Hey buddy, you will do great".

He looked at me with that look in his eyes again (the really greatful one) and smiled

"Thanks!" he said.

It was time, he coughed and started.

"Graduation is the end and the beginning, a day where you thank all that helped you through the tough years of school".

"Your teached, your parents, your siblings, maybe a coach and most of all your friends.

"I am here to tell you that being a friend is the best gift you can give them".

"I want to tell you a story".

I looked at my friend in disbelief while he told the story about the first day we met.

He had planned to commit suicide that weekend.

He described how he had emtied his locker at school so his mom would not have to do it later, and that he carried all his books home.

He stared deep into my eyes and smiled.

Luckily I was saved he said.

My friend saved me from doing the mentionable.

I heard the gasp go through the crowd when this handsome popular young mand told everyone about his weakest moment.

I saw his mom and dad looking at me and they smiled thankfully at me.

Not before this moment I understood the depth of this.

Never underestimate your actions.

With just the tiniest gesture you can change a persons life for better or for worse.

We are all put on this earth to put our touch on eachother one way or another.

Look after the good in others.

You have 2 options, you can:

1) Tell this story to the people you know

2) Forget it and pretend it didn't touch you

As you can see, I choose the first option.

"Friends are like angels, they help us up when our wings have forgotten how they can fly".

There is no beginning and no end.

Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is a mystery

Today is a gift.

Show the ones you know, that they got your friendsshiip.

------------------

I hope my poor translation didn't suck too much and you get the point of this story

Jesper

the translation is fine, and the story is wonderful. Thank you for sharing. :aktion033:

What is sad is that this would be the exeption and not the rule. Kids can be SO cruel. Now teachers have to be PC and cant really step in anymore. In all fairness, I would almost hazard to say that kids can be more stressed than parents. Gotta have the right clothes, the right this the right that. And its only getting worse. SOOOOO glad my school days are behind me.

What is sad is that this would be the exeption and not the rule. Kids can be SO cruel. Now teachers have to be PC and cant really step in anymore. In all fairness, I would almost hazard to say that kids can be more stressed than parents. Gotta have the right clothes, the right this the right that. And its only getting worse. SOOOOO glad my school days are behind me.
You are so right about that Pepipony, being PC is BS if you ask me, yes you have to treat others as you would like to be treated yourself, but that you can't act on things like this, is just plain wrong. Atleast we can still be a bit PC over here.

Kids getting stressed is more spread out over here too now, we have kids down to age 8-10 getting sick with stress, more and more get diag with ADD and so on, but is it really ADD or is it just a kickback from all the stress and preassure?

I guess you know the Mohammed drawings (about being PC). Someone said something wise about it not long ago. Why should we in a christian country far away from their moslem country abide by their laws? They don't abide our laws, why should we abide theirs? No law in hour country say we can't make drawings of a guy called Mohammed, but still they feel the urge to threathen us *shrug* someone in another thread said we couldn't call a black person for black, but they can call us for white, again they can use it but we can't? Thats not being PC thats being oversensitive if you ask me.

I think the story is good, and if you react to it like you did, then it proves that it works.

Actually it is not being PC it is being Prejudiced

"conceived opinion, bias, against/in favour of person or thing) Oxford English Dictionary.

So...it is OK for them to be prejudice but not OK for us??

For the record, even if it had been a girl in full Burkah, I still would have helped her pick up her books.

I would not have invited her to become my friend.

Am I prejudiced??

You bet, and proud of it, what I am NOT is bigoted!!

Actually it is not being PC it is being Prejudiced

"conceived opinion, bias, against/in favour of person or thing) Oxford English Dictionary.

So...it is OK for them to be prejudice but not OK for us??

For the record, even if it had been a girl in full Burkah, I still would have helped her pick up her books.

I would not have invited her to become my friend.

Am I prejudiced??

You bet, and proud of it, what I am NOT is bigoted!!
Well I wont say I am prejudiced, but I am careful. Some of my friends wear not a burka but a veil, and it doesn't matter to me, they are still my friends.

If people prove that they are not worthy of my friendship then they wont get it. I respect people until they give me reason to not respect them. An example? I worked 6 days a week and this guy should do it the 7th day, I expect him to do it, just like I am expected to do it the 6 other days a week. When he didn't do it, and I got yelled at for not noticing him not doing it, then he was out in the cold.

It wasn't his fault that I got yelled at directly, but indirectly it was his fault because he didn't do his job. If he had done it, I wouldn't have been yelled and and I would have had nothing against him.

We shouldn't hate/dislike them just because they wear a veil or a burka or whatever else they wear, just like we shouldn't dislike someone wearing a cross. Give them a chance, thats the least we could do. If they don't want that chance then fine.

Just like USA, Denmark expect immigrants to learn the language, when people after 15 years haven't learned it, then they need no respect, the least they could do was learn the language, they get FREE classes to learn it.

Jesper

I have tears in my eyes. That was a touching and beautiful story. Thank you for tanslating it for us. We never know what lives we've touched in the most profound ways with a single action or word--may they always be the best we can give every moment.

Latest posts

Back