Thought I would Update on Our Driving!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shalakominiatureshowhorses

Reaction score
Well, I thought I would update, once again.

On Sunday I went to a driving clinic with a national and world trainer. This guy was the man who trained Bentley before I had bought him in 2009. This trainer (not going to say his name, I don't have any permission to) can do amazing things to horses. Just little tweaks of the check of the cart and all of the horses looked better and better!

I took Bentley first. He said that the only thing I needed to work on is keeping a hold of Bentley and keeping his nose in. Jazz, well, that's a different story.

As many know, I have trained Jazzy myself with the help of those on LB and his breeder. Jazzy is finally got the basics down. He knows his transitions, is a little rough turning and keeping a straight line, but bare in mind this is his 6th time in the cart. So, he's a greenie ;)

He pretty much told me, after watching him, that he couldn't be in any pleasure driving classes, which is okay. I never had any intention of driving him in any pleasure classes anyway. I always had the invision of him just being a fun driving horse that I could hook up and go around the neighborhood with and be the parade driving horse, since I don't trust Bentley in those kind of situations.

He did tell me though that he would make a great driving obstacle horse. I have NEVER done any obstacles ever, so practicing was hard. I actually ran over a cone and fell out of the cart. I only hurt my pride, that's all ;) haha. But I'm excited to try it out! It looks like fun!!!!

Bailey, Bentley, and Jazzy
default_smile.png

Bailey. ,you did a great job with jazz . He is still really green so will get better with practice. He looks to be western H. e is not ever going to move as good as Bentley but there is no reason why you can't show him in the youth classes at the local level. He would not be competitive at the National level, but you can still have fun with him at the local shows once you get his headset better. Anyway great job with your training.!

Your horses looked good this weekend and I agree with Bronagh, I think he would be fine for local shows if you want to do Western with Jazzy. You should have fun doing obstacle with him too.
default_smile.png

Jan

You have a TON to be proud of. Just training your own horse to drive is a major accomplishment. And the measure of a good horse isn't always in the show ring. There are a million ways to enjoy your horse. Find the things that they naturally enjoy and excell at and go with it.

By the way, I love the Western driving classes. Mostly because I love western style stuff LOL. Back in my riding days I rode english LOL.

Great! I'm glad to hear things are progressing well--keep up the great work!! =)

Back