This is just silly!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't sell her...I'd find the perfect, loving home with a small child or children and loan or free lease her to them -- with the understanding that you still own hehr and have say over her care and feeding. Choose someone very deserving who lives nearby so that you can see her regularly, and perhaps even give them lessons/support on proper care.

Too often the buyers agree to first right of refusal but then sell the horse "down the river" anyway; even if they honor your agreement, they own her and can care for her as they wish.

By loaning her yet maintaining ownership, you could keep YaYa close to your heart AND make some child's dream come true.

I sold 6 rabbits to make room in the budget for another horse when my colt was born. Just after his birth we decided to keep him. Last week a friend of mine asked me if I wanted to sell him. She knew someone looking for a colt. :new_shocked: I didn't even hesitate. I said no :no: . He is such a sweety. He loves to sit with his front legs over you and be rubbed and petted. His day old pic is my avatar. His name is Nevada Dust Dancer (aka. Dusty). :bgrin

One of our problems is that we don't have a lot of room. We have only half an acre. We have 4 minis on it right now, and there is room...but not for many more. We had 7 on at one time, and boy, was it crowded! I wish I could afford her own little stallion...no room...and no money! :eek:

I suppose I could do in-hand stuff with her...but a little kid would look so much cuter working with her...maybe I'll call a local 4-H club and see if there are any kids out there who want a mini to work with.

I'd still miss her little smiling face...

I'll have to think on it.

But I sure want that spotted mare!

Kim R.

wow i wish you were closer, i would take her in a heartbeat, she sounds perfect to add to my "visit" crew (we go to retirement homes with them) - and not to rain on any parade or anything but be careful even with a lease, we did that once and we did NOT get "our" horse back - when he came back, he was different... if you decide to let her go you need to be comfortable with not getting her back, either physically or mentally... you just never know what someone else is going to do (even if they MEAN well)

If you have Bonnie read her and she says ok, then that would be alright. But I sold a horse several years ago (did not get a reading) and was sorry almost from the moment he left. I got him back several months later and then had Bonnie do a reading. I had talked to him and explained about his new home, so I thought he'd be ok, but when Bonnie asked him if he had any questions for me, he asked her what he did wrong for me to send him away!! :no: I, of course, had her tell him he was HOME and he wouldn't ever be going away again! Be sure before you leap!!

Pam

I am thinking you have already made up your mind to sell her. What is wrong with NOT breeding one horse ? I realize you have limted space, so do I, but isn't an emotional attachment just as nice as any foal ?

Just2-

Part of me had decided that I OUGHT to sell her...it would be the right thing to do...there are some many reasons why...but then I go out to the back yard, and there she is...every loveable 31 inches of her! The feeling not to sell her is not logical...but just thinking of selling her ties my heart into a knot.

Yes, you're right, an emotional tie is very important. And someday I will raise a foal...from my show mare...but I want to show my big mare, and I don't feel I can show her when she's pregnant...

Susan, she visited an old folks home and a school when she was two...got very impatient when she didn't think she was getting enough attention! :eek: I'm hoping age gives her a little patience! I would send her along with you, but it's Arizona is too far from Idaho!

I honestly don't know what I'll do. I have to pay for braces for my son (and myself) so making payments on another horse is out.

I guess I should be happy with what I have.

So somehow I should make it so I can't look at horses on the internet!

Kim R.

Kim --

I can very much relate to the space issues.

A few years ago, I started to want to go in a higher direction with my horses, and I was seeing ones that would get me there for sale, and knew some of the ones I had would not. It was hard because I love them all, but I ended up deciding to sell seven that weren't going to match up to my goals in minis. I did keep a couple that won't help me get there but are "pets" or ones I enjoy driving, etc. I couldn't keep everyone I loved and go on with what I wanted to do.

The best advice is to think about it as long a it takes until you are confident you've decided what to do. The way it worked for me, I thought about it for a long time and it not only involved selling some, but also gelding show stallions. I thought on it for years before solidifying what my goal was and who needed to leave to make room for others. Not easy, but because before I put my first sale horse in the trailer to leave, I KNEW it was right, I was "okay" and really it became only a little sad to see the horses go and very excited about moving forward with my goals and excited for the new owners who were getting horse that matched them perfectly
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

So, just be sure before you offer her for sale. With mine, I thought on it for a really long time, but when I did list the horses, they all sold very quickly. If I had not thought it out so long beforehand, that would have really rattled me (the speed that it was all done).

PS another nice thing is that the ones I sold were not "the special ones" her or to me, but they are with their new homes
default_yes.gif
:

Good luck with your decision Kim
default_smile.png

Since when does logic and love go together ?

well you dont have a very busy show schedule and they are all pretty close to home. There is no reason she cant show while she is bred Dancer won all her National titles bred :)

Latest posts

Back