This is just silly!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Rule

Reaction score
I have been lusting after a particular mare since spring...and I have even gone so far as to ask for more pictures. My husband and I discussed it, and he said (much to my surprise) "Why don't you sell YaYa? She's the smallest horse we have, and she doesn't exactly fit with the rest of the horses!"

I was shocked! We had had that conversation a year or two ago, and he was refusing to sell her. I thought "Yippee, I can get my horse now". But now it comes time to put an ad up, and well...I just can't.
default_unsure.png
: I think yes, I'll sell her, and then I go into the back yard, and she looks at me with her blue eye in a goofy sort of way, and nickers at me.

The first time I saw her she was 5 hours old, and so tiny I could pick her up. She was UGLY!!! We bought her because she was cute, and I fell in love with her immediately. I was over at her breeders farm 2 times a day giving her Probio, and Pepto Bismol for the first three months of her life. She turned into a pretty mare, with a sweet disposition, and an assertive way of getting her favorite scratches.

She's 31 inches tall, and thinks she's the biggest horse in the place. When the back door is open, and horses are in the back yard, she comes into the house for a visit. Horses have gotten out in the middle of the night, and I have been woken up by her clip-clopping into the living room in the middle of the night!

She's the one I'll go and sit beside when she's taking a nap...
default_wub.png
: She'd rather be with people that the horses.

How do I sell a horse like that?

If I decided to drive her, I'd have to get a new harness and cart just for her, because she's too small for what I have. She's started in in-hand trail, but I have been so busy breaking Wynnie to drive that I haven't been able to add to her education.

If I breed her, we'll just have more tiny horses like her...and I don't need that! :eek:

So what should I do??

HELP!!?

this probably isn't the answer you're looking for but i'd housebreak her and just let her live inside. i'm kidding, of course. or am i?
default_wink.png
:

i don't envy you. this would be a very tough decision to make. myself, i don't think i could part with her. :eek:

Well here goes, we both know she is to small for you to drive so that is out, I think she would do very well in a home with a youth who wants to show her who can hang out with her and let her be someones best friend.

It is hard to let them go but sometimes it is the best thing for not only you but more important for them and like you said she doesnt fit she needs to be somewhere where she is the perfect fit
default_yes.gif
:

I need to add that I knwo you are on very limited land so have very little room for more horses and understand that one needs to go for another one to come so given that I think that getting a horse that can do the job you want is a smart thing to do and letting her go somewhere she can fill the job they want just seems like a win-win

Last edited:
Sounds like she's a "keeper" to me. Those are the kind of cream puff babies that work their way into your heart. Why not just make her the mascot of your farm....who says you have to breed or sell her? :bgrin Or...you can just let her clip-clop her way to my farm! :aktion033:

Well, I was just thinking the same thing about one of mine.

I have decided I won't sell her no matter what. There are much 'better' mares out there but I love this mare and even if I find her a 'perfect' home there is no saying they won't sell her on.

I can't justify selling her becuase I like something else more.

My advice to you, keep her and either make room for one more or just enjoy what you have!

Oh man I don't envy you that decision.....

I unerstand totally what Lisa is saying but I'd have a hard time

letting her go..... She sounds like she has made you her

person. Relationships like that are like gold.

Maybe now that hubby has agreed that she 'could' go, it will be enough.

Sometimes it's just about being able to make the choice but I've a feeling

that YaYa is saying "Choose Me"

Lisa is right, and we have had this discussion before...YaYa is the sweetest thing. I saw her being led by a little boy of 4...he just drug the rope along and she followed him like a little mother hen. I think she would love having a kid of her own...so if I DID sell her, it would have to be to the right place...She would make a great 4-H project, for some kid to mess around with. She would make some horsey child a wonderful best friend. Sigh. I guess I'm being selfish. She does love being messed with, and I think sometimes she's jealous of the horses that I do drive.

I guess I will just have to get stronger.

Kim

could you sell with an option to buy her back? when i got divorced, i had to cut down and was forced to sell my quarter horse mare. i bought her at age 16, she was 25 when my husband and i split up. i sold her to a friend of mine, for $1.00, with 2 young boys with the stipulation that if they decided they no longer wanted her, i could buy her back.

they called me after 2 years and said the boys had outgrown her. i hooked my trailer up immediately and drove to their place, handed over $1.00 and took my girl home. she was my heart and soul for another 10 years until i was forced to send her across the rainbow bridge at the age of 37. that was several years ago and to this day, i miss her terribly.

Ahhh, she is tiny and won't take much room. Sounds like a keeper for you. Mary

Ahhh, she is tiny and won't take much room. Sounds like a keeper for you. Mary
I agree, She does not eat much & she sounds like a total sweetheart, I would keep her!
default_yes.gif
: I been through the delima before about my mare "Rose" She is a 38" chestnut mare, She does not fit my herd very well (she is big) 3 years ago I had the chance to sell her, I thought about it & was about to call the lady & tell her to pick her up, I walked out to te pasture to see her, She looked at me & nickered, Then she walked up to me & nudged me, I could not sell her
default_wub.png
: She was my first mini & I love her, I would not sell her for anything, I love her
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

Do what your heart tells you to do then you are doing the right thing twice, once when you do it and every night you put your head on your pillow.

I WANT PICS PLEEEEESE :aktion033: :new_shocked:

I agree, what can you live with? Are you going to beat yourself up and regret the rest of your life that you sold her? It is really hard to part with any of them, but sounds like you have a special bond with this one.

If you do decide to sell- then make SURE you put it in writing that she comes back to you- and what price stipulations. Any chance you could lease her out to a friend or something??

What a hard decision... I dont envy you either!!

I don't think you should sell her. So what if she isn't going to make the kind of horse you want, or if she's too small to use your driving equipment. Maybe you don't want to breed her and you won't want to drive her. There is NOTHING wrong with her only job being "just" a pet. That's important enough. Once you sell her -- that is it. You can't make choices for her and most of the time, you cannot reverse it and make her your horse again. I don't think every horse has to be bred, drive, show or do performance. There is not a thing wrong with keeping one around because you enjoy having her (or him!) as just a pet.

Besides, a lot of us (most?) have minis first and foremost as a hobby. Some of us have turned it into a combintion hobby / small business (or even big business). But when you get back to the real reason you got into minis to start with -- it wasn't so you'd have to do things with your horses that you didn't want to do. So what if you decide to have one or a dozen just because.

jill, i'm gonna show gary that post the next time he asks me why on earth i need ANOTHER mini!
default_wink.png
:

Go with your heart.If you have to come on here and ask, you know what the answer is.Some of us are just horse NUTS and I don't think it is such a bad thing. If you sell her, you will beat yourself up unless the right person comes along and then you will know what to do.

Great advice from all above........

What I'd do is make a pro-con list both as a breeder and then again from the heart. Then, you and ONLY you can decide which is most important -- the breeder or the heart. There's no right or wrong. It just is.

Like others have said, I don't envy you!

MA

I would keep her. I have one like her and we had to get a small stallion especially for her. She only gets bred and has a baby when she wants to, it's her choice. If she doesn't want to, she doesn't have to. Fox is the boss! She's in our hearts too deep to let go.

That said, I would call Bonnie Fogg and ask YAYA what SHE wants. Would her heart be broken to leave you, her momma? Would she like to drive? Or would she rather be with a child? She's a "woman" who knows what she wants and you should ask her how she feels about it.

That's just my thoughts
default_smile.png

Well I don't think 31" is that tiny ( I thought we were breeding for "miniature" horses LOL) So I'd forget all of this '''I can have this one but not that c**P and have your cake and eat it too LOL. Got for it. Get BOTH and you'll be happy YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :aktion033: :aktion033: :new_shocked:
default_thumbup.gif
:
default_cheers.gif
:

I agree with Roko !! Ask Bonnie to do a reading for you, and then you will able to make a decision one way or the other. Ultimately follow your heart. We owns these little darlings to make us feel good. I own mine strictly for MY own pleasure, they give me love and in return I give them love, lots if it. I do not breed or show and am perfectly happy.

Back