This is getting BAD..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlesteppers

Reaction score
We have NO hay..we have NO grass..we had 1 cutting and I got 200 bales..usually we get second cutting 200 more..NO second cutting..on top of it..NO grass..our last rain was a gully washer 6 weeks ago..

we are 14inches below normal and the grass and pasture is gone!

I really need to feed hay NOW..but I can NOT find any hay for sale. The horses getting soaked beetpulp in the evening and regular feed. Get One time hay per day..what is a good alternative? Does anybody have hay for Sale? I emailed even other states..No luck there..
default_unsure.png
:
default_unsure.png
:
default_unsure.png
:

We have it up here Christine. Bring up a big truck and stay in the hollow.

I don't know if you want to go this far or not but I live in Northern Alberta, Canada and we have a huge amount of hay this year. Everyone around us has a surplus. Our alfalfa field doubled last years crop and we will even get a second cut. I don't feed alfalfa but traded some for some really nice timothy/brome. Maybe you can get some for a good price in Canada. I paid $35.00 canadian for 1600lb round bales.

I know where you are at with the hay shortange problem.........in Texas we just go over a 3 year drought.........have only got 1 cutting- now the fields are too wet to get into to cut..............

Dimi..!! Benn playing with this idea..we gotto do something..
default_unsure.png
:
default_unsure.png
:

I don't know how far you are from me. I am in Northern FL and Drought and hay shortage as well. We now have plenty of hay around, but its NOT cheap. My zip is 32052 Coastal $6 a bale and Peanut $14 bale Goodluck. Add soaked alfalfa cubes, Dengi

Well, don't know if you want to go this far or not either, but we have a lot of hay on one cutting. A friend just put up around 1,000 round bales and I am sure some of it is going to be for sale. We put up nearly 100 round bales last week, just off the horse's pasture. We haven't gotten into the actual hay pasture yet, where we square bale most of it, as when we finally got the weather to get into the fields, naturally our hay cutter lost a hydraulic fitting. Took it to the shop, and they say they are extremely busy, and we should have it back today. I am not holding my breath though. I am afraid they will not have it till the end of the week. We are starting to get anxious about that hay field. We got 275-285 square bales in that was beautiful that was cut in the hay field between drenchings, but we need many, many more. We would like to get enough for 2 years, because of the possibilities of drought any given year in this area! I spoke to my cousin just last week, and they had only gotten 6 round bales from a 20 acre field of alfalfa. The drought has affected them badly there in Ky. as well. I sure hope you all well!

Oh dear, so sorry you all have it so bad out there. Due to gas prices our hay went up this year. We only buy 150 bales a year and this year what we just bought (100 bales square) was $3.50 a bale approx 70lb bales.

That's up a full dollar from last year.

No wonder there are SO many horses for sale on the board and off the farms..dang Global Warming, hope this won't be permanent..Best of luck to you,

Maxine

I am sorry, I would be panicking !!!

We have hay here, but yesterday I paid $17.99 a bale for Orchard Grass !!!!

At the feed store that I go to, to get my hay has some at 6.95 a bale, its in Picayune , MS. Also, if you go to the Mississippi Market Bulletin, you can find hay up in the northern part of MS closer to you. I just went and picked up a load of Alfafa for $11 a bale, 2 wire stranded, weighing 75-90lbs each.

I use 1/4" alfalfa pellets here for the main 'forage' source for my horses. That along with beet pulp and some grass hay and a little pasture time has taken me through years of little hay. The majority of my horses are dry lotted and this has worked very well here.
default_smile.png

Ouch! I feel for you. Every year seems to have some problem or another with getting hay. I'm always happy when my hay is in the barn for the year! I have 10 ton of an orchard grass/alfalfa mix coming next week, but it's up to $195 a ton! :no:

Christine, we are not nearly as bad off as we "could" be and we have our own hay..but I am hearing that people around here are sending for semi-loads from Michigan. I think probably round bales are all they have, but might be worth asking around some neighbors to get together and order a load.

This weather here is just awful!! HOT as blazes and heat index of over 105...I cannot do anything in the barn and no one wants brushed even... :no:

WEEELLLL>>>>I emailed 25 places..got some replies back..thanks for all your help..went to coop and got a bag of alfalfa cubes..gonna soak and feed with beetpulp in the evenings..I also found some bales of orchard grass hay. Only 25 though..well gotto be gratefull forwhat you get..not sure if it rained now we would get a second cutting..would prob be too late anyhow..I am sure glad I only have 3 bred mares..
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Thanks again.. :saludando: :saludando:

We are pretty well off here in CT and I have 400 bales in at $5.00 per bale delivered and stacked. And I know the farmers around me do have hay for sale. Wish you weren't so far away Christine.

Joyce

We have a supplier in Asheville, NC that I have never known to be without hay. We buy all of ours from them. Very heavy, 80-90 pound, wire baled Brome hay. We paid $9.00 per bale about a month ago. She also has alfalfa, and sometimes prairie grass. If you would like her phone number, just PM me.

Lisa

Sunrise Valley Miniatures

:no: I can't imagine being without hay! All we have is dry lots so without baled stuff my horses would starve. Hay here has been at least $10 a square bale for orchard grass for quite some time, good Eastern WA stuff that's been trucked over the pass to my feed store. My supplier tells me there are shortages but there's always been hay when I needed it. We only get about five bales at a time now because since my 30 year old Arab stopped being able to chew it it takes us months to go through that with just one mini. On the other hand, the hay pellets Spyder eats have gone up in price tremendously! It's now $14 a bag for orchard grass pellets, and he goes through about a bag a week along with the same amount of beet pulp pellets and senior feed. I could feed 15 minis for the price of that horse's upkeep.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Oh well.

Leia

:no: Man I have to say that for once, living here in Florida is not so bad. I already pay Amazing amounts of money for my hay, and I Have to feed hay year round. A normal 65 lb T and A bale goes for 10.95 and that's Cheap! Peanut hay is $12.95 for me, coastal is $6...

I'm so sorry for all of you who are experiencing shortages... I can't imagin how scary this must be for you! :no: Anyone is more then welcome to head Way down here and load up though!! We always like visitors! :saludando:

Latest posts

Back