thinning a mega-mane

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My2Minis

Reaction score
My newest mini has a megamane. When we got him he hadn't been groomed in a long time and had dreads and mats, which I cut out. But that didn't make a dent in his mane volume. It is one-sided but heavy/thick so it elevates out to the side and is dry and frizzy underneath, though the very top layer is straighter and smoother.

He's unclipped to keep warm for the winter, so should I just leave it as it is until Spring or can I get out there and thin it somehow?

I've had yearlings with this problem and actually found by undercutting their manes (removing all the dead dry stuff) and letting the good, slick mane on top worked really well. I kept clipping the undercut part.

For some reason the mane naturally thinned for the next seaon.

They are all fed sunflower seeds and/or crushed linseed.

Not much of an answer - but it's worked for me
default_smile.png

Buy a Mattbreaker dog comb, the one that has blades in it, and just fairly aggressively groom the mane...do NOT use this on tails, byw!!

You can also use these, with care, on the horses body in spring time to take out the majority of the detritus of winter before clipping or bathing.

They give the same result, used with care, as a well pulled mane.

Undercutting is fine unless you forget to redo it!!!!
default_wink.png

I have a stallion that has the thickest mane I've ever seen--I have to pull his mane every spring and then I undercut every couple/few weeks. I live in ND and tonight we'll be having 20 below weather-MINUS windchill (that usually subtracts another 10 degrees)...I don't undercut during the winter. I usually leave it once it hits about early October. He does just fine. Comb your boys mane all the way through-it'll take you a while but once you've groomed him completely once, it won't be as tedious the next time. I would then pull his mane if its not too cold. I have a special comb for it that you can buy at most horse supply stores. It takes me a few hours to do because it looks best if you use very small amounts of hair at a time. p.s.-its not really pulling the hair out of the horse; you wrap the hair around the comb and pull it so it cuts the hair to whatever length you want it at. If you do it right, the mane looks natural and it will take ALOT of weight off your boys neck.

In the spring I would undercut your boys mane as well-he'll love it!

Thank you!
default_smile.png
I'll just comb him well over the winter and pull and undercut it when the weather is warmer. It has been cold her so I'll let him have his wooly mane for the winter.

Good choice - I'd wait until summer also. Then give him a good bath and when you come his mane I think a lot of that will come out. You might still have to undercut. How old is he? Might just be an age thing.

Good choice - I'd wait until summer also. Then give him a good bath and when you come his mane I think a lot of that will come out. You might still have to undercut. How old is he? Might just be an age thing.
He is 18, so an older guy.

[SIZE=12pt]I also use a Matt breaker. I wouldn't be without one! They are relatively inexpensive and save so much work. Flip the mane over and work from the underside. Just comb it through the mane like an ordinary mane comb. It will thin the mane without that Trojan Horse look of a mane growing in after a undercut.[/SIZE]

Joy

Back