My New Addition

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindi-loo

Reaction score
First of all Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to everyone..to all that know me its great to be back after a while away busy with life in general..I just had to come back and share my new addition with you all...he was a bit of a supprise and a spur of the moment decision..I know absolutely nothing about the history of this baby except that he was born around june/july of this year..I saw his mother and she was a very tiny chestnut with flaxen mane and tail in very poor condtion apparantly the stallion was even smaller...I only took the little man on because his next destination was the meat waggon which I was informed he would fetch £4 and rightly or wrongly in some peoples eyes i just couldnt let that happen...he arrived here at his new forever home on Christmas Eve at 8.30 am and has been kept in apart from a few brief walks out on a headcollar to have a quick munch on some fresh grass..I was told he had never had any human contact from birth and was out 24/7 on a waterlogged piece of waste ground..Its taken him 4 days to dry out..his coat is thick and matted and underneath hes a bag of bones..I wormed him the day he arrived and hes on a high protien diet with free fed hay..hes very tiny 18.5 inches...hes so so sweet and very quiet a bit too quiet i think for a pony thats not had any human contact..i carried him from the back of the van he was brought in to the stable..he didnt object!!..he was a lil reluctant to have a head collar on the first time not supprised at that but he accepted it and walked out with no fuss..i have the vet coming to vaccinate on Monday and give him the once over..but basically Iv fallen head over heals for this little guy..I appriciate he will never be a show pony or turn into a handsome prince but hes won my heart..he calls me when he hears me coming (as he cant see over the stable door) and he just wants to snuggle in and be loved ..such a sweetie..Im so glad we found eachother but am interested to hear if you think hes actually a dwarf or just tiny...I appriciate its a little hard to see under all that hair which im itching to clip off but I think hes been through enough for the moment..please be gentle lol

2012-12-27 11.31.05.jpg

2012-12-27 11.49.21.jpg

2012-12-27 11.30.31.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bless you for taking him on. Can't really tell too much from that picture other than he's a ball of furry cuteness. I can't enlarge the pics to get a better look and with all his fur, I really can't tell.

Oh Linda he is just the cutest of cute! What a lucky little fella to have found such a wonderful home.
default_yes.gif

He may just be tiny becase a) small parents, b) first foal from very small breeding or c) lack of nourishment.

I'll be interested to hear what your vet has to say - and yes, please may we have more pictures.

Great to have you back again.

Aww thank you..I didnt have to think twice about making that decision he was coming home to live with me and his new mini family and that was that..yes it is a little hard to see when standing next to him whats going on under that mass of fluff let alone from a tiny picture but he is very cute I agree with that that lol

I found a less fluffy one that i took on my phone in the stable just after he arrived..can see a little more outline lol.. not much though

couldnt resist sharing the moment that Dinky met her new playmate Doodles

006.JPG

2012-12-24-496.jpg

No expert, but with those new pics, he mostly looks small and undernourished. Time and a haircut will tell.

Good for you for taking him in. Hard to tell if he is a dwarf or not with all the fuzz. Like others said, he sure is cute!! I'd love to see him when he's settled in more, and clipped, however long that takes. Good luck with the little guy.
default_smile.png

Very glad you took him in--Sure is small and adorable! (and fluffly ;)) Congrats =)

default_giveup.gif
..Just wondering if anyone has any ideas how i can brush out this matted ball of fluff..iv spent hours lightly brushing layer through layer and it is working but its very slow going..tried spraying conditioner in as i go but really doesnt help that much Im very tempted to clip it all off but its just way too cold to leave the little might without his fluff ball..only advantage to all this brushing is that i get to spent lots of time with him and he loves every minute...cutie

Just keep brushing til its warm enough to clip; if any matts are tight enough to pull at the skin, I'd clip those matts out, otherwise just keep grooming and wait til warm weather.

Congratulations on your new little edition - he is very cute!!!! I did notice there's some white discharge in his right nostril; you might want to have the vet take a peek at that when he comes on Monday. Again, congratulations!

Liz N.

Thanks..I will keep at it i guess slow n steady wins the race
default_rolleyes.gif
...Yes your right he had awful white discharge coming from his eyes and his nose for the first few days..its wasnt yellow or nasty looking no coughing and no crusting over for the want of a better word..I did mention this to the vet when i spoke to her Christmas eve..he had a strange foul smell about him too which i didnt like..she wasnt too worried so long as he wasnt depressed or refusing food..which thankfully he wasnt...he loves his new feeding routine and is clearly enjoying all the attention hes been deprived of and the discharge has now gone but he will be thuoroghly checked tomorrow..its very sad that people breed these tiny ponies and just assume they can be left out in all weathers to fend for themselves..the poor little guy was soaked through to the bones..my other ponies all go out in the rain and get a good soaking but the next moring after spending the night in the stable theyr almost dry ready for another soaking (thanks to our Great British weather)..looks like a visit from the farrier is on the cards too his tiny back hooves are quite long and hes dropping back onto his heels so a good trim should get back up onto his toes..i thought that was going to be a while but something else hes just excepted as OK is me picking up his tiny little feet..hes an angel.. or is Dinky just as stubborn as they come
default_whistling.gif

Now I wont hear a word against our Dinky Do - she's one very special little girl!
default_yes.gif

I think you will have to just do your best with the grooming of that cute little fella - not really a good time to think about clipping. I know we are ever hopeful that the rain MIGHT be kind enough to stop here in Wet Wales, but I doubt that anyone is listening to us, and any clipping would have to include fitting a neck protector to his rugs - perfect excuse for that clever Dinky Do to work out ways of stripping his rugs off him?? LOL!!

Have to admit that my lot dont seem to mind the weather that much, but I am extremely miserable and fed up with them looking wet and bedraggled all the time!!

Good luck with the vet - do let us know how it goes please.
default_yes.gif

Thank you so much for giving him a good home, I am sure he is so much happier now. I hope you will keep us updated on this adorably fuzzy lucky boy!

He is so cute,and very lucky you found him. He lookks tiny and malnourished,you probably will not know if he is a dwarf till he gains weight and is clipped. How is his bite?

Thank You all so much but Im sure anyone would have done the same hes so cute and so loving..Im so happy with him he has just slotted into our family so well its hard to believe hes only been here a week..already hes a different pony in himself..playing and cheeky like he should be..the vets visit was most deff piece of mind for me..she gave him a good check and apart from a shot of multivitamins and his vacc gave him the all clear..she did take some bloods as i mentioned the bad smell and said he could have a kidney problem but wouldnt know without bloods so i went ahead just to be on the safe side although she did say if there was any kidney problems he would be looking sick not as bright as he is now..Im really happy with this gorgeous bundle of joy and cant believe how lucky i am that he came to me from out the blue..I will get the camera out again tomorrow and show you how hes looking one week on..now hes finally dried out I think hes dun with a dorsal stripe but if youd like to enlighten me further id be more than happy to hear what you think
default_wub.png

I couldn't agree more with what everyone else has said about how lucky this little fellow is to have found a home with you. He is SO precious!
default_wub.png
But, was just wondering, do you know what happened to his parents? Did the people sell them, or do they still have them as baby-makers,with not enough food and care?
default_unsure.png

Spray some showsheen on his coat and that should make it easier to brush out and keep it nice looking. congrats on your new boy- he's so cute and cuddly!

Tammie

Latest posts

Back