Was going to hog mane BUT...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorClementine

Reaction score
He ended up with cornrows! Major grows a very thick and heavy mane. It pulls his neck to one side (the fact that he's overweight from the winter doesn't help). I usually hog his mane every spring but I didn't last year. I was going to this year but now it's all grown out again. It's soooooo pretty and thick and long and luxurious. So... what to do?? I decided to braid it to the opposite side. I was out of bands down at the barn but had some fleece strips I used in Clementine's mane to do a running braid for a parade. So I cut the strips into smaller pieces and now he has fancy rag tied braids. I'm sure he's impressed...
default_rolleyes.gif
I love how some of the braids are "marbled". Can't wait till it's warm enough to give this dust monster a bath. 2016-05-07_16.10.20.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll bet he likes it being off his neck and cooler.

I've never cut the mane back on Dapper Dan before like show horses, but last year I did and I liked it. So I did it again this year. Rowdy has never had his mane trimmed so I haven't even done a bridle path. Reluctant, because once I clip, I'm committed!

We have always braided our ponies up like that quite a bit. Those type of braids stay well in pasture (unless they are doing a lot of rubbing on rough objects - such as this year - the trees). It does aid in keeping them cooler in summer, reduces daily grooming time in the winter and I use it to train baby manes to the side I want or to train it to lay down...

and then there is the show braiding, too. We've done hunter braids (pulled/shortened manes), scalloped braids for hunters w/ long pony manes (no pics at all
default_sad.png
), french braids up tight along the neck, french braids looser - angling down towards the shoulders (doesn't hold as well) and then the draft style braiding...

How long did his braids stay in?

Latest posts

Back