Cresty or Heavy Mane?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poniesrule

Reaction score
I have made no attempt to hide that I am new with the mini's, and this one has me stumped! I have had a cresty full size horse before, but he was way overweight. This is my 3 year old gelding, gelded as an early 2 year old.

I hadn't noticed this until after the dog attack... He dropped about 10-15 lbs after the incident but has about gained it back. It's been around 4 weeks since then. I know that dropping weight too fast can lead to this situation, maybe that's it? I've been searching all of the crest related posts here, but most of what I have found relates to overweight horses. This guy is about 31" and 175lbs, I would say in good condition, a little weak in the topline, but we had a month off. Diet related maybe? He's getting alfalfa pellets, beet pulp, and purina mini horse/pony. I have it written down at the barn how much he gets a day, I'll check that and update later as well as full on body shots (as long as you promise not to judge his haircut! ha!). My vet helped me put together his rations. I don't know much about IR or anything like that, and my research is confusing me...

The other thought is maybe his mane is just that stinking heavy? I would have killed for a mane like this on my reining horse, but now I just want to hack it all off! Yes, I am trying to let it grow out. I'm not wanting to show in halter, more driving or just for pleasure. Not a big fan of looooong bridle paths.

Also, in reference to whether or not it is hereditary? I can tell you some of his pedigree, not that I know anything about most of them. Top side: Triple K Cinsi's American Legend 2 by Triple K's Im Cinsational Too out of BTU Shezas A Dandy. Bottom side: LM Idols Snapshot of Success by First Knights Billy Idol out of Flying W Blue Boys Picture Perfect.

Thoughts, criticism (constructive of course), and personal experiences are requested. Thanks all!

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Very likely due to losing weight so fast, plus the heavy mane. I know most of the horses in his pedigree and don't think this is genetic, especially if this was not an issue before the dog attack. He probably needs more fat and good protein in his diet (personally, I think the Purina Mini Horse/Pony is too low in fat...JMHO).

What Jean says. That combination of stuff you got from your vet to feed him doesn't make sense to me and I'm also not a fan of that miniature feed. Aw, don't hack off his mane. I"m just looking at the view of the top of the bridle path. If you take your clippers and go back over the bridle path, angle them to get the sides of hairs off, blend it, so the bridle path doesn't look so "abrupt" and then straighten out the rest where you shave it and get it straight. Can't really see much more from those pics. Need a profile.

We are slowly working into our summer clip... The reason my vet recommended this blend is because of his broken nose. He wasn't even looking at hay & dropping weight, so she said to entice him with soaked forages & feed a few times a day. I personally think there's too much going on in his diet. I like the beet pulp, hate waiting while it soaks, ha! They have free choice grass hay through slow feeder at all times, plenty of fresh water, and a salt block (I really want a mineral - loose or block - but can't find anything without a high salt content). Kenai is getting about 1lb of the purina, 1lb of alfalfa pellets, & 1.5 lbs of beet pulp a day. Now, this isn't all at once, it's spread out in 3 feedings. I'm no nutritionist, I'm sure there are flaws in this, but don't need to be flamed for my program, would like input
default_yes.gif
This guy has been through a lot, and I am at my wits end as to what's best for him. He's eating hay like usual again, and I would really like to not be doing grain at ALL, so going to start backing off slowly on everything anyways.

As promised, here are some quick side shots, hard to get him to stand straight & alert by myself, and please excuse the rough clip! We will be smoothing everything out this weekend, along with the details like legs, face, & blending the mane (there's a lot of work to do!).

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

I like Remission for cresty-ness. Not going to lie, it looks like a foo-foo dust - and the price makes you think that to ($20 or so here for a tub) but OMG did it help my 2!

My stud was fed just about free choice sweet feed for the first 6 years of his life. Can you say nasty crest of bacon from heck? It was BAD. A winter on Remission with beet pulp and the mini-pony grain and he has WITHERS for the first time in his life, and his nasty crest should be gone within the year!

My gelding (unknown past, but 3 yr at the oldest) was cresty too. He just gets a smidge of the mini-pony purina grain and the Remission (only reason he gets grain is for the remission) Holy cow did it help him too

My program is the EXACT same as yours minus alfalfa - Cloudy (the stud with the crest of doom,) gets a small handful of mini pony grain in the morning (so he's not jealous of everyone else getting grained), nice first cut all day, then at night a beet pulp-pony grain mash with his remission. He LOVES his ration lol - only horse to excitedly eat beet pulp even out from under 2" of water (slopped way down to slow him up). I'm sure some people don't like it, but my horse looks awesome on it, he's the healthiest he's ever been weight wise, his coat is good, and his crest is gone. Im not changing it nor would I be open to changing it until it stops making him look like the sexy beast he is!

Ok what is Remission and ware do you get it I would like to try it on my mini as he has a really crestie neck

Remission is just a powder magnesium supplement with a few other things in it; you can get it at many tack supply places. I know Horse.com carries, cause that's where I buy it.

Thanks Marty!

We've been through a lot, but he's totally my heart horse
default_wub.png
I really think the other gelding needs to try some Remission or something though, he's getting pretty chunky eating a tiny bit of "mom's feeling guilty" rations and plenty of exercise. So are we all thinking he's got a heavy mane & I just need to work on that? I seriously can't get over how stinking thick it is!

Latest posts

Back