Things to know about your digital pictures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistyrose

Reaction score
1. Allows take picture at highest resolution your camera allows. This will let you have a clearer photo when you crop. Its hard to not need to crop a moving horse photo.

2. Always save your original picture as Tiff if possible. Never make changes to this copy.

3. Save cropped or changed photos with a new name so the original is kept.

3. Use photo soft ware to lower resolution for web. Save this copy with a new name. All mine go into a folder called "webpage photos"

4. My Farm webpage software (Homestead) asks me if I want it to lower the resolution also. I always say yes.

5. Everytime you edit or resave a jpeg picture you lose a little sharpness. This is why number1 is important.

6. If the picture is blurry, delete it right away. You will end up with oodles of pictures. You don't need to wade through bad ones.

7. Always ask before you post a picture of someone elses horse. You might think its a great photo. They may not agree.

8. If you take a picture that is unflattering of someone delete it. Even if you don't like them delete it.

9. Make prints at a camera shop of good family pictures. They last longer than ones printed on your computer. If you take the cost of your ink and paper and wear on your printer, there is not much difference in cost.

10. Take pictures at heart level of horse.

11. Make sure you have a four legged horse. Don't let those legs hide!

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are some great tips, and some I did not know about so thank you!!!

Whenever H and I are taking posed pictures of our horses, we will take tons (50-60 or more!) in order to hopefully get one or two that we really like. Thank goodness for digital cameras.

Last summer, we upgraded to a camera that will take the shot almost as soon as you press the button and I think that's been our biggest blessing in getting "good" pictures. Before, we'd get into real arguments because it would take me "awhile" to get the horse just so with happy ears and open eyes and then 3 seconds for the camera to take the shot and by then, we didn't have a posed horse anymore.

Another "tip" is I have been really happy with the service of York Photo (www.yorkphoto.com) as far as getting prints developed. It's easy to send them pictures, the quality of the print is great, and the service is fase.

12. Try to ensure that the horse really only has 4 legs (not 5)
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I'm shopping for a digital camera so I can post pictures of my mini and set up an avatar
default_smile.png
Can anyone recommend a good camera that's reasonably priced and easy to use?

I love the camera´s with the "sport" mode.

It makes you shoot 3 or more pics in a row, so with moving horses you can choose the best, like with the most floating trot movement.

Putting a horse in a new pasture (alone), will often make them act like arabs, snorting a tail flagging.

A piece of plastic, (on a whip), or an umbrella is great for head shots and to make them move.

Mistyrose THANKS and perfect timing. I spent all day Sunday trying to figure out my Sony Mavica. Finally figured out how to get the muzzy background and sharp horse. (called portrait mode) Also how to set the speed to 1000 (that should stop them dead). It also has a TIFF save feature that I turned on, and I upped the resolution to 2000 and something. I can hardly wait for this weekend when the weather gets nice to try it out.

QUESTION: Should I always have the flash on even in daylight to fill in?

Last edited by a moderator:
:aktion033: GREAT TOPIC--I don't have any wonderful tips to pass along, but this is something we can all benefit from, so I'm going to post just to move this back to the top of the page. C'mon everybody, share you tips.

It can be fun to take shots of different angles also. Get low and shoot up, I have some great shots that my 6 year old took of me riding my big boy. The different perspective is fun. Or get REALLY close just for fun.
3675329_1024.ts1156345923788.jpg

3077833_1024.ts1154314558812.jpg

Latest posts

Back