The Expert Novice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nightflight

Reaction score
Found this in an older dog breed journal. With all of the big personalities in horses, well... I though you might enjoy reading this. I had to type it out, so I know there are typos, but I hope they don't distract much from the article.

The original was written by Mrs. Dorissa Barnes for the March 1963 issue of Dog News. Republished May 1963 by editor Louise Ellsworth in the Scotch Piper, and reworked and published again in the October 1978 Bagpiper by editor Marjorie Cohen.

Beware the Expert Novice

EVERYONE who has been breeding dogs for a considerable length of time had experience with the eager novice. He comes to you with questions in his eyes, on his lips and in every action he displays an apparently sincere desire to know everything possible about a breed which has caught his fancy. If he lives at some distance from you, the letters back and forth would fill several books. "I don't know a thing about them but I just LOVE them" he declares and since there are few remarks more pleasing to the dedicated breeder, you melt right there and resolve to help him in every way possible. You start him off with the standard of the breed and if he lives in your local area you use a good dog as a model, pointing out that no matter how good or how successful the dog may be there is always some flaw, no dog quite approximates the standard set forth as ideal. You have a litter of pups and he wants to buy one so you select one of the best to start him off as successfully as possible. If he lives out of town the pup is shipped and you spend the next six months or year tapping out advice on your little keyboard, trying to put into the most understandable terms the requisites for proper management of a good pup. In or out of town you give your novice help on grooming, feeding, lead training, house-breaking and a host of related subjects; knowledge which you have gathered through long and sometimes years of experience.

For our example, let's stay with the local novice although the pattern is much the same for the out of towner. You start your tyro out with his pup at a puppy match. The pup wins!...and the beginner is thrilled beyond belief with his first taste of success, as he has every right to be. Mixed with delight over the pup's achievement is admiration for you. You are so clever, you groom so well, you show one so well; you are really the one. Being human, it's easy to fall into this trap of oozy admiration but if you are really experienced you've seen all of this before and will take it with a large mental barrel of salt.

Time goes on and you continue to groom, to show and to aid the novice as required. You know that there are many proper ways to condition a dog an handle it, both in and out of the ring. You use the methods that have been successful for you and hope the same success will come to the beginner you are helping.

The puppy develops into a nice dog, is entered in regular classes and begins to gather points. The novice in enthralled with dog shows, dog people and especially grateful to you. Although he continues to insist that he really knows nothing, little phrases indicating that he has gotten the hang of the game creep into his conversation and you smile a secret smile deep inside. Eventually his dog finished and it is a gala day. But the story doesn't end there. As if by magic, once his dog becomes a champion, the erstwhile novice becomes a full fledged expert. He knows exactly how the dog should be conditioned, at which shows it should be entered, how it should be used to produce more champions, and a bewildering array of other facts and fancies which make it plain that you are now quite useless to him. In the student's opinions he has now progressed much farther than the master. Most breeders of long standing have found themselves in this position and some for this reason, refuse to help the newcomers. Luckily, for the good of the breed, most continue to assist when they can. The novice who becomes an expert overnight is not so much ungrateful as growing. Whether that growth is productive and healthy depends entirely on what sort of person is involved. Some are destined never to be more than perennial amateurs who prattle at great length about dogs, but never in this world will be able to recognize a good one, particularly is owned by someone else. Others soon learn that expertise comes hard and not with the first and only champion finished. Knowledge must have a solid basis and nothing takes the place of experience.

If you are hurt by the seeming in gratitude of the newcomers, should you vow never to help one again? A thousand times 'no'. Surely you have learned long ago that the greatest satisfaction in the dog game lies in the dogs themselves, not in the people in it. If you sincerely want your breed to prosper and make a good showing, you have to pass along the knowledge you have acquired to new people, no matter how they may turn out. From the novices of today will come the exhibitors of tomorrow and if you refuse just one, you may be refusing help to the very person who can do the breed the most good. When you help a novice, remember you are not doing it for the person involved but for the sake of better dogs.

Nice!
default_aktion033.gif
Especially the part about doing it for the betterment and happiness of the dogs, not for the people involved. Thank you for taking the time to type that out and share it with us. It is my goal to always remain an eager student of the horse and I hope I never consider myself an expert!
default_wacko.png

Leia

I love to help people who are new.

I had some great helpers once upon a time, myself, and still continue to get help from people when I have questions and need it.

I sure don't mind a bit if someone I happened to help out ends up being better than me at anything I have done. Their success is in some small part, then mine. I am fine with that, but then again, I've never been much of a spotlight person.

Nice post, though!

Liz

I don't really see the article as about being in the spotlight. I see it as a commentary on the fact that sometimes we invest our hearts and souls in the success of someone else. We know that there are levels of experience and very very few who ever deserve the title of expert. Just when you think you know what you are doing, a lightbulb comes on and you see that you have further to go -

It's an article about those people you help that reach a certain level and then just STOP, thinking that they are an expert, THE expert, in fact. Any further help you offer will not be accepted because they think they have surpassed you. Depending on personality, a person in this position can remain a friend, but some will not - you were a friend only as long as they needed you.

It's an article about not giving up, and asking those people who can, to continue to help novice owners. If we are lucky we will find those few novice owners who will be better than us - who are willing to turn around and help us grow. I hope that Leia someday is an expert, because we always need true experts.

It's not about sharing the spotlight, it about taking a risk and investing yourself in others. Many of those risks could end up hurting you, but it's those few who grow to the title of true expert that make it all worthwhile.

Edit: I can't spell for snot!

Edit 2: I skip words and delete stuff I didn't want to, too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great article.
default_aktion033.gif

When I started in Miniatures I searched for people like that. I have learned so much from them and feel that even though my knowledge has grown, I have a long way to go and always have room for a word of advice. I feel part of it does come from experience, but a big part comes from putting together all those wonderful tips that other people showing give you!

After getting those tips, I don't feel we should in any way feel like an expert (although some do). Instead we should feel lucky to have those things shared with us. I think this is true sportsmanship. We showed several large horse breeds before minis and they were no where near as kind and helpful. Because of this we have enjoyed showing the minis a lot more and gained many new friends.
default_biggrin.png

Very nice article.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with the commitment to the newcombers and the future of our breed. We need to continue to teach and help those that have the commitment and belief in their horses. I have had more fun watching my students become more confident handlers, better communicators and overall better horsemen. And in doing so have made me a better person in knowing them. I learn as much as they do sometimes.

I have had those that have taken what I have taught and only been willing to take it so far and then proclaimed to be an expert and went off to make thier own way. I only hope that they keep thier vision focused on the betterment of the breed, the betterment of the individuals that they help and for the betterment of the horse.

I will always be willing to help the people that ask, or those that seem to be struggling at a show with one thing or another. I had plenty of help growing up around show horses. And through the years I was able to move on to become a professional trainer, but this was certainly after several years of learning, showing and learning and showing and learning some more. I still learn everyday with each new experience, each new horse that comes into training and each new client that I meet. The learning never ends.

Very well put.
default_smile.png
Everyone is a novice at some point, and regardless of the level of expertise we reach I think the learning never stops. I am grateful to everyone who has helped me along the way, and glad to have passed on what knowledge I am able.

Jan

.... that was a joy to read, not just for the content but also for the writing style.

You rarely see words put together so nicely anymore.... which is a shame.

Latest posts

Back