The cost of declawing a cat....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandee

Reaction score
We know someone that has moved to our area that lives on a fixed income and needs to get her 10 year old cat decalwed. The place she is living says it's the cat or her! One vet wants $375 for shots, bloodwork and the declawing. Is this way out of line? (Don't know how she'll pay that!)

The humane society says that 10 years is too old to declaw and they don't know of anyone that would even do it.

I could sure use some suggestions for her.

oh sandee, i can't imagine putting a 10 year old cat through this surgery. i don't like the idea of ANY cat being declawed, it's a barbaric procedure but i know that isn't what you asked.

would the landlord agree to something like "soft paws" instead of declawing?

oh sandee, i can't imagine putting a 10 year old cat through this surgery. i don't like the idea of ANY cat being declawed, it's a barbaric procedure but i know that isn't what you asked.
would the landlord agree to something like "soft paws" instead of declawing?

That's what I was going to suggest. I really hope so!

That sounds about right for a cat her age. They are higher risk and don't do the greatest at being declawed at that age. Soft paws are a good choice definetly see if the landlord will accept them. Good luck to your friend and her kitty.

Yeah, I don't know if she'll find anyone who will declaw a 10 year old cat...OUCH!

Here in Quebec my vet will not declaw a cat that age. Wish he would as I would send Minou our older cat(he's 6) who LOVES scratching my leather chair.
default_wacko.png
We did get Whiskers done at the same time he was fixed, around 6 months of age and we only did the front feet and it cost $50 a foot, so $200 had we done all 4.

I have seen this procedure done and when working for a private vet helped do them. I hated it. Deforms the feet. The nerves to the toes are left intact, I know many declawed cats experience pain in their feet for the rest of their lives. Many become very sensitive to touching the paws at all.

If I had to chose between declawing and placing the cat in another home to spare them from declawing, I would opt for the rehoming.

Hope there is a good out come for the kitty.

This is seriously sad. I would consider euthanizing a cat before I would declaw at that age. I'm sorry that she's faced with this awful dilemma!

Yes I would suggest soft claws. They do work, but need to be applied every so often. Cats do shed their claws.

Awwww I personally would never declaw a cat... I would give it up and adopt it out to someone or perhaps euthanize it. A lifetime of suffering is not worth it, particularly to a cat who is over the hill...

I think people who have their cats declawed should have the ends of THEIR fingers amputated. Or perhaps all of their toes amputated, I guess that would be more equivalent.

I would move somewhere else, if that's the verdict!

I do live in an apartment, I trim both of our cats' claws with fingernail clippers. They have clear claws so it is very easy to avoid the quick. If you don't like trimming the claws, as already mentioned they do make the Soft Claws to glue on.

Providing a good scratching post also helps focus my cats, they are VERY good about scratching the posts and not anything else.

I don't understand why somewhere would REQUIRE a cat to be declawed...

Sheesh...

Andrea

Awwww I personally would never declaw a cat... I would give it up and adopt it out to someone or perhaps euthanize it. A lifetime of suffering is not worth it, particularly to a cat who is over the hill...I think people who have their cats declawed should have the ends of THEIR fingers amputated. Or perhaps all of their toes amputated, I guess that would be more equivalent.

I would move somewhere else, if that's the verdict!

I do live in an apartment, I trim both of our cats' claws with fingernail clippers. They have clear claws so it is very easy to avoid the quick. If you don't like trimming the claws, as already mentioned they do make the Soft Claws to glue on.

Providing a good scratching post also helps focus my cats, they are VERY good about scratching the posts and not anything else.

I don't understand why somewhere would REQUIRE a cat to be declawed...

Sheesh...

Andrea
I honestly don't think that if a cat is declawed before a year (when it's spayed or neutered) that it's cruel. I've had two cats declawed. They were tearing around and jumping off of furniture on the hard wood floors the next day. They healed very quickly and they're not sore at all. It's just as "cruel" IMHO to dock tails and tape ears (in dogs), but it's done. That said, I would never have it done on a cat over 6-8 mos. of age.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many vets in our area will not de-claw, but some do nick the tendons so the claws cannot be retracted...leaving them with claws that act like those of a dog. When this is done, obviously they can no longer claw furniature. MUCH less invasive, heals quicker, less chance of complications/infection, and it is much cheaper as well. I figure it to be win-win.

Thanks so much for all the input. Yes, she is very upset. She likes where she is living but is very attached to her cat also. The landlord is "following the rules" so it's a difficult situation. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back