Tetanus Antitoxin given to foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mare is given vax 4-6 weeks prior to foaling, foal given one at 3 months. No problems to date.

I've foaled hundreds of mares and none of them have ever needed tetnus. They get the normal vaccine four weeks pre-foaling.

I haven't heard this, neither of my vets have done this. But, mares are vaccinated with Tetanus one month before foaling so I think that covers the both of them. They always ask during the 12 hour checkup, so I assume they would give the antitoxin if I hadn't vaccinated my mares properly.

Andrea

Well I guess that is why I do mine differently. I do not vaccinate just before foaling. They are vaccinated once a year, usually in June, and foals are born in April and May. I don't like vaccinating late in pregnancy. I know it is way off on how most of you do yours, but it works for me, and "if it ain;t broke, don't fix it".
default_wink.png

I routinely vaccinate mares 4-6 weeks prior also, but I have one mare who slipped through the cracks this year...in other words I just flat forgot to vaccinate her :DOH! so will be doing the tetanus antitox on this foal any day now.

Jan

"Well I guess that is why I do mine differently. I do not vaccinate just before foaling. They are vaccinated once a year, usually in June, and foals are born in April and May. I don't like vaccinating late in pregnancy. I know it is way off on how most of you do yours, but it works for me, and "if it ain;t broke, don't fix it". "

This is exactly how I do it to Mona so you are not alone
default_smile.png
.My foals are born in April usually and I don't vaccinate my herd until May/June. So my mare and foals have always gotten the tetnus antitoxin at birth.It provides a quick immunity to tetnus.It doesn't last long but I have always felt when a foal is born and the cord is exposed this shot is a good idea.It will do no harm(I've been doing this practice for 25 years) and that extra boost to their immunity makes me feel they are covered.I believe mine comes in a 3ml dose.This is just my opionion and I believe everyone has the right to do as they feel is best for their own horses.

Latest posts

Back