Terrible "Accident"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvmycritters

Reaction score
This af[SIZE=10pt]ternoon my daughter and I saw five of her friends riding by on horseback. We have ridden with these kids from time to time - they ride ALL OVER. As an axample - these kids live a good three miles away from here - and they were on their way to a much farther destination - on their way past here. My husband had a fit when he saw them riding by - we live on a horrible corner - and most of the kids were riding right in the road - one was off to the side - "Emily" - she was the safest and most grown-up of the group. All of the kids had helmets on...[/SIZE]

Normally Kellie and I would have saddled up and rode off with her friends amediatly - but for some reason today - I waited. About ten or fifteen minutes after they had rode by - I said to Kellie "lets saddle up and try and catch up." So we did and the whole time we were trying to catch up to her friends - we heard sirons upon sirons...We got to the end of the road and there was a man flagging all of the vehicles down towards our way - he told us there was a bad accident with horses down the road and we should turn around...My daugther and I started crying and well you can just imagine. We stopped at the nearest house and asked to make a phone call ( to the parents ). We were both so shook up - we couldnt think of her friends parents phone numbers...

Well - this -ssh--e who lives down the road from us - and who was driving with NO licence and NO car registration - PLOUD INTO THREE OF THESE GIRLS AND THEIR HORSES. ONE GIRL IN THE HOSPITAL - the rest are ok for now - TWO HORSES DEAD ON THE SPOT - one had to be put down right there. What a night mare - thank god we did not catch up with the group - I just had a very big awakening today - I am so glad the girls will be ok - I am so horrified that they lost their wonderful mounts - there are no words to make this better...

Emily had just gotten her horse last year - her parents are wonderful and Emily always wore a helmet and most of the time her dad would ride along on his four wheeler to make sure Emily was safe...Emily's horse was the one who had to be put down today.

Lori

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Lori,

That is so scary! I'm so sorry about the girls and the loss of their horses. What an awful thing to happen - thank goodness you and your daughter were not along with them.

I hope the girls will all be okay.

Please keep us updated.

So, if this guy hit them won't he be responsible for replacing their horses? Just wondering

[SIZE=10pt]Well I would think so - but at this point I think this is the farthest from most minds...[/SIZE]

Lori

wow. That is a horrible story. It reminds me of the Horse Whiperer. Just the thing thsoe girls saw of their friends and horses getting hit and killed int he horses case thats horrible. :no: Sending Prayers.

How horrible! My heart goes out to all the girls and their horses. I hope the girl in the hospital is doing okay. I'm glad to hear they were wearing helmets.....that alone can save lives. I hate riding on streets, it's so dangerous.....nobody really watches out for anyone else and they're always in such a hurry. I'm afraid that the emotional scars from this will take longer to heal than the physical injuries.

THAT IS ANY MOTHERS WORST FEAR , THATS WHY I COULDNT LET MY DAUGHTER RIDE,

i rememeber riding along our road on my big thorobred and this egot clipped my stiirip he was that close, i was so angry i cracked his window with it...these poor poor children they must be devastated, theres no love like a child for there pony....... :no:

I am so sorry, your guardian angel was definitely watching over you both.

Wow, this is horrible. I'm so sorry for everyone involved and thank heavens you and your daughter weren't there. I know how devastating it is to lose a special horse, that's a fact but I guess at this point a person just has to be thankful that the kids are ok. I hope the one in the hospital will be ok too. How could someone plow into that many horses, can't he see or was it on a blind corner, couldn't the kids hear him coming? This is always something I think that bothers parents when the kids are out riding on the roads, it's just dangerous because of all the idiots around. I'm so very sorry and will be keeping them in my thoughts and prayers.

Are there any updates?

Oh my gosh, how is the girl in the hospital doing, have you heard this morning??? Prayers that she and the others will all recover ok, though emotionally will really be a stretch for a long time.

[SIZE=10pt]Well I just spoke with Barbara ( Emily's mom ), she is pretty sore of course and may have some back, wrist and leg issues going on, but other then that she is doing as well as can be expected. The little girl in the hospital has a broken collar bone and I am not sure what else, poor thing...The third girl who was hit, did go to school today believe it or not. I will find out more when my daughter gets home from school. I have not heard yet about the man who hit them - how that happened. I do know he hit them head on, I cant even begin to imagine. I will post more as I find out - thanks so much for all of your prayers for these kids.[/SIZE]

Lori

Oh how very sad.... :no:

My heart goes out to all of them.....how awful

:no: I am so sorry for those poor kids, their parents and the horses that needlessly had to be put down. My thought and prayers are with them!

Thinking of them and
default_pray.gif
: for a speedy recovery

[SIZE=10pt]I just found out that the old guy who hit the girls has a sleeping disorder. One of the girls said he was swerving all over the road before they were hit.They didnt even put him in jail!!
default_frusty.gif
: My husband said this guy almost hit him one day - ran right through the stop sign. He lives just down the road from here and we see him driving all the time - unreal. I wonder how long this will be allowed to go on - before he severely harms someone...
[/SIZE]

Lori

Ok, now I am wondering why if they seen him swerveing all over the road then how come they didnt get off the road????

Regardless its a pointless accident that didnt have to happen. But it could of turned out worse.

Ok, now I am wondering why if they seen him swerveing all over the road then how come they didnt get off the road????

[SIZE=10pt]From the looks of the accident scene Ashley - they were off the road. Now granted I did not see the accident scene - but my husband did. This happened just down the road and over - from our place. And since my husband feared it was my daughter and I that were in trouble ( we were riding also at this time ) he went over to the accident. Two horses were dead in the ditch, one laying in the road, the girls were scattered in different spots. This paticular stretch of road has ditch on both sides and then thick woods. Again - I am not still sure of the paticulars, but will be learning more as the day goes on...[/SIZE]

Thinking aboutt he horses makes me sick. I feel so bad the children are going to be so upset when they are all better. Praying for them.

Is this on your local news anywhere? I would think such a tragedy that it would be and they might have more info

Keeping the girls and their families in my prayers

Latest posts

Back