Temperament in Mini's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i absolutely think there is a bit of genetics involved in personalities but i also think there is alot of "environmental" factors as well (ie the dams personality and how she raises her foals ect). I'm sure if you have enough knowlege of lines you would see traits that are genetically inherited just like with people and other animals. That's why you shouldn't breed animals with BAD temperament.

Cindi D..... I have a mare that sounds IDENTICAL to yours (and i don't really like it... but i tolerate it because i CAN catch her with food and she is beautiful and excellent pedigree). I don't think there was ever any abuse involved with previous owners...she doesn't act abused...or anything like that but she is NOT at all a people horse. she has no desire to be around or near people unless food or something VERY VERY interesting is involved.... and yes she is a fatty patty piggy! She has also had 2 extremely friendly babies (too friendly). now i don't know if that's environmental because i handle my babies from the second they are born and several times a day basis... and if mommy mare doens't like it.. too bad (i'll do what needs to be done to deal with the babies..). so far she's never given me much problems when she has her babies and she usually seems more dependent on me just before foaling and after.. so that is helpful. I lug them around and just handle them A LOT so i just don't know if it's just not something she passes on or what. All i know is if she did pass that trait on i wouldn't breed her again because i HATE it.

Keep in mind, too, when you are talking about a horse who is a great-great grandson (whatever) of Famous Horse, there's a lot in between him and the household name that surely contributed to the disposition and personality (not to mention all that the eye can see). It's easy to contribute something, good or bad, to the famous horse even if it may really belong to the horses inbetween.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back