Temperament in Mini's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hylights

Reaction score
Hi,

I know that different breeds of horses seem to be attached to certain temperament types, FI my standardbred isn't the brightest horse in the barn, but he is the most willing, he will try all day long. My Appy OTOH is the brightest horse I've ever met, I swear he could figure out a rubiks cube, but he also will only give as much effort as he absolutely has too and will always look for a way out of work. So to the mini's...

I leased a mini gelding from a neighbor while I was looking for one of my own, his temperament was not what I would desire, neither willing nor affable were in his vocabulary, I don't know what lines he was from. I then took in a neglected mare, even though her halter was imbedded in her face with the buckle in her jaw bone, her owners led her around by the halter and tied her up by it and she never acted out. She has come here to a totally different life, she has been totally sweet, although sometimes scared by new things she recovers quickly and in 5 weeks she has made amazing strides. They didn't give her shavings in her shed because they said the bag noise made her buck and kick, last night she stood next to me as I shook the shavings out of the bag then dropped and rolled until she was covered in the fresh shavings
default_yes.gif
. She just seems to want to adjust to her new life and fit in, and she seems happy, she loves to race around the pasture bucking and kicking up her heels, then she has this nice floaty trot
default_smile.png

Unfortunately I also don't know what lines she comes from, but I am in love with her temperament, willingness, attitude about life. She was foaled in May 1998 and purchased in Mass as a foal with her dam, her dam was trained to drive, she already was named Starlight, probably a name from her pedigree, her parents were both registered mini's, she grew bigger than her dam so the new owners sold her dam and kept her, and when she was 2 they started letting the kids ride her, they said she never bucked and would follow the adult anywhere when a kid was on her back, even down the side of very busy streets.

I really wanted a mini for driving and I don't know if she will be the best build for that, but I could never have left her tied to that tree with the putrid stench coming from her halter. As she gains muscle she is looking better though, but If I look for another mini to drive I want the same temperament as this mare has, so I wondered if different lines were know to have certain temperaments?

Thanks,

Amy

HPIM0560.jpg

I think that it's much more individual than that (IMO). I've had full siblings born that were more different than they were alike, in temperment, and though some are very similar, it also depends on how they were brought up, etc, as well.

I think that your best bet would be to look for the particular temperament you are wanting, regardless of breeding.

Oh, and your mare is a doll, I'm sure she will end up being a great driving horse for you, congrats on aquiring her!
default_smile.png

I have seen some long time breeders have horses be pretty consistent in temperament and conformation.

The Del Tera horses of Maggies line... the few I have met have been just like her. Friendly, willing to learn and do things, bold temperament and not spooky. Just an all around nice mini to be with.

IMO, shari is right that typically the Dell Teras horses are easy going like stated.
default_smile.png

I shall leave the line anonymous for obvious reasons but I have two American lines now and one Falabella and one pure English.

Let us just say that one of the American lines is TOTALLY nuts!!!

I love it to bits, I am not criticising, but if I were trying to ride these horses I would have my work cut out.

This is what I always adored about my Arabs so as I said, I am not critcising!!!

Maybe they are a bit too intelligent for their own good, maybe they are just slightly "schizo"
default_biggrin.png
default_wacko.png
default_new_rofl.gif
default_biggrin.png

While bloodline can explain some amount of attitude, IMO the greatest part of their attitude about life has to do with the attention/training -- or lack thereof -- they receive a foals, and then on into adulthood.

You have those not handled much, those handled a lot, those handled badly, etc. A foal will mimic what it sees and experiences with the dam, the handling by humans can be a part of that (and should be!). So no matter how the "training" happens, coming when called, being touched, being pleasant are learned more than hereditary traits.

Being high strung, calm, etc....in general....is more hereditary -- think about the breeds, Clyde or Tbred or Arab.

I have a BTU son that is just a real sweet heart. He always wants to please. I have heard many others say that this is very typical of the BTU line. BTU himself, is a very kind individual.

Not all American lines are nuts or hot.....

Maggie and Theia are not hot at all...steady, easy going and fun to have around. Would like to find a big gaited horse like Maggie, if that is all possible.

From my experiences I have seen temperment be hereditary. We have a filly here that is so much like her dam we laugh about it. Smart as all get out and yet wisely independent ! I do think the way they are raised also influences dispositions. We also have a mare that must have been roughly handled as a youngster for she shows some insecurities...wish I knew if her dam or sire was like that....am pretty sure her sire wasn't. We have been told that Champion Farms Nighthawk has a wonderful disposition and find that the son we have is the same way. We have found that those who are easy to train have it in their blood and then the right raising of them just adds to it. Mary

Maggie and Theia are not hot at all...steady, easy going and fun to have around. Would like to find a big gaited horse like Maggie, if that is all possible.

Not my intention to imply they were, not at all.

I was only trying to make sure the actual line stayed anonymous and Idid state I had two American lines but that one was nuts
default_yes.gif

We've had our main herd stallion for 16 years now, and had gotten very used to the extremely smart, willing and quiet horses that he produces!! My current driving gelding is the first we've raised in a long time without any of that stallions bloodlines ... he's been a challenge from the get go, we were just way too spoiled!!

I do see some personality traits connected to certain lines. I know my BTU horses have such a huge amount of heart and desire to please. I see a lot of "attitude / presence / show" in my Buckeroo and Rowdy horses. A laid back way in my Dell Teras ones... I do think certain lines are predisposed to certain mindsets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not my intention to imply they were, not at all.

I was only trying to make sure the actual line stayed anonymous and Idid state I had two American lines but that one was nuts
default_yes.gif
I understand.... I had one line of of mini back when I was breeding, that I did not like the temperament at all and she passed it onto her foals. Beautiful conformation though, foals did well in the show ring.

My BTU (I'ma Boones Little Buckeroo Too) stallion is just the most loving horse and has the most heart i have ever seen. I've heard so much about the BTU heart on those horses and it is so so true! He isnt hot at all actually, but then agian, from what his breeder has previously told me that will all change next season LOL.

My LTD gelding is a LTD's Magic Man son and he is incrediable smart which i have heard allot of that about the magic man sons/daughters.

I've always heard that the Buck Echo get-grandget-greatgrandget all have allot of attitude for such a small size lol. From what i've seen, i have to agree lol.

I agree with whoever said that it's individual. I know of a gelding that's 1/2 brother to my stallion. The gelding is nutty, flighty and it's doubtful that he'll ever be able to pull a cart. My stallion is so sweet and calm that I can lead him right past mares with no problem and he's an absolute gentleman when he's in harness too.

I've heard the same thing about the BTU line - that they usually have exceptional dispositions.

In my expirience I would say so. Just like Buckskin Gal said- we have a nighthawk son with an amazing personality
default_wub.png
Very very smart and easy-going.

Our mare and her foal have VERY similar personalities, but they were raised differently. But the two think the exact same way! So I am really excited to use mom's traits to the colt's advantage- because she came with some habits that have prevented her from excelling in certain areas, but he's been raised not to!
default_rolleyes.gif

I agree on the nighthawk foals but then again I am the president of his fan club!

Anytime you have a horse you can walk up to in the middle of the pasture no halter- no lead no nothing and can clip his whole head including ears inside and out while he doesnt move a muscle... well that is a keeper in my book!!!!! I couldnt say enough about my nighthawk sons temperment

Last edited:
I have always liked the Orion lines and thought that almost all the horses that I have known from that line are gentle and very willing...never saw one that was "hot" or crazy!!

I also have a mare that is not "Orion" but has NEVER been friendly..never EVER...only if there was food involved does she give a hoot about people. I worried that her foals would inherit that personality and so far NONE of them has. I am amazed at that really...in fact I have 2 of her daughters that are so people loving that they are almost annoying....
default_wacko.png

There's a line of Quarter Horses that you couldn't pay me to have. I had a lot of experience with this particular line and they are complete idiots. I have had several of them in my former barn that were all bananas.

I'm very excited about the Blue Boy line that I've been raising. Stallion Nick is so sensible it's hard to believe that little guy of mine is that smart and good. All his babies so far have been the same way. One of the mares here I bred him to twice is dumb as a box of rocks but her foals from him are so smart and nice and darn sensible too. I am lucky.

Latest posts

Back