Teething Issues?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubiesladie

Reaction score
My 2 year old filly seems to be going through a chewing phase? 3 weeks ago, I added sand clear to her meals for a week, as she had been eating sand whenever I put her out, or every chance she got to lick some up during a lesson.

During that week, she also started to eat the shavings in her stall. I do not know if it was just timing, teething, boredom, or something to do with the sand clear.

She is taken out of her stall every day after work, for at least 2 hours (if not more), while I work with her, and then after she gets turned out in a decent sized pen where she can run, roll or relax, or graze some through the fence, until I go home. She may get turned out with a gelding, unless he is already out with other horses, other wise she is alone. She also gets out of her stall for longer periods of time on the weekends.

Do young horses go through a "puppy phase" with their teeth? I have noticed the underside of her jaw is definitely getting bigger, I know they lose caps? or is that what is growing?

I am looking into toys, treats, for her stall, or maybe an automatic feeder to split up her food during the day, but any other advice or knowledge about teething? or stall boredom?

Painful shedding of caps can cause reluctance to eat or dropping of chewed food... But not really "teething." I'd blame boredom for that.

Does she have ad lib hay when she is stalled? Also be careful with her eating shaving - horses cannot digest them and it can lead to a fatal blockage. Can you change her bedding for a while?

Horses are bred to eat 18 hours a day or more, she is probably very bored if she is not getting that stimulation. You can try a treat ball which you can fill with tiny bits of meal (and she wont need a set meal) and apple and carrot etc, which will keep her active and eating. Also you can put out bits of hay in different areas and strewn all around the paddock or in several different hay nets tied up around the paddock.

Thanks everyone!

I am looking into different slow feeders, I tried the hay net but it does not slow her down at all.

Yes, I am worried about her eating the shavings, that is what prompted the post
default_smile.png
have found a toy on Amazon called the Horseman's Pride Amazing Graze toy, that I am considering trying out.

I will look into what else the feed store here can get for bedding, or what the other feed stores have in the next town over.

Has anyone tried any of the stall toys, or any of those lick treats and had any success? I have read a lot of mixed reviews on them......

She has not yet had a dental, but I will have her in soon for that!

It depends. I have a horse that will lick and lick a lick all day long, another that would lick now and then, and another that would never touch one even if you shoved it in his mouth! They can be quite expensive so i would try to make your own lick toy at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
If she is 2 years old I would schedule a dental right away. I had a yearling that had teeth like razor blades and his mouth was all cut up. He was very mouthy and I had no idea something was brewing in his mouth until the dentist showed me. If it hurts to eat she will munch on anything. You might be surprised at how bad her teeth could be.

I would focus on dental first and then explore boredom.

Latest posts

Back