Tax Stimulus

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Us N Texas

Reaction score
Okay, so hubby got his first paycheck with the $13.00 stimulus added. He gets paid every two weeks. The check had $16.00 and change difference. Wondered if the stimulus took effect in the middle of a week or something. He got his second paycheck yesterday, and it was the same. They are taking taxes out on the $13.00 per week, so in essence, he only got an $8.00 per week stimulus, with the rest stimulating the government. I don't think the big stimulus payments made to the corporations, banks and etc., had taxes taken out. But of course, theirs is a loan, to be paid back (or not) in time. Guess I shouldn't complain, 8 dollars is 8 dollars, but gee, what are we supposed to do with that amount? Buy a new car?, pay off a charge card?, go to dinner (ha ha), or put it in the bank? Oh, his wasn't supposed to be a loan, it is what he had to "earn", so I guess that is the difference?

Well in my case and others on Social Security, WE will get a additional $250 dollar amount starting with the Checks in May. Not as big as last times $600 but it will help.

And I am then going out as that is just enough to make the amount I have been saving up to buy a new computer, as this time I am going for a I-MAC instead of a regular PC with Windows.

And they (Pelosi and Company) are thinking about another stimulus package IF this one does not show that it is working.

Heck what SHOULD have taken place is GIVE every American 18 years and older a Chunk Of Money like 25,000 or what ever it would have been adding up to One Billion, OR Better yet Split One TRILLION up among the American People and WE then Sure as heck would get this economy back in motion again!!!

But THAT is too simple. Instead give it to the banks and others and takeover banks and such which is the Worst thing to do and raise taxes at the same time.

I'd heard that both were "working"... surprised it has actually happened. I thought it was to begin 4/1.

So, the SS money is pd how? $250 over a yr
default_laugh.png
Oh, yeah, that will help a lot!! $20 a mo. OK, it is $20 more than I have, granted. I'm with everyone else.....give me a lump sum and let me spend it, which I will, like everyone else.

I'd even like to share in the AIG bonuses that were just pd out!!!!!!! We could split that up and get almost as much.
default_new_shocked.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I think the bailout is just a joke without a prayer of working....I came across this one day (see below)...sounds interesting, and honestly probably would have a better chance of working, but the powers that be want the money to keep coming right back to them, the banks, the government, the auto manufacturers, insurance companies, etc., so they'd never go for it. While I do not agree that it was just the Bush administration that brought us to this point (I think it's been in the works for decades), I do like the concept....plus it would be cheaper than the bailout....and put money in the hands of the people who actually NEED it...(let's just say I have far to many friends and family who've been laid off and are on the verge of losing their homes, an nope, none had an interest free mortgage).

The only people who can stimulate this economy are WE, THE PEOPLE. So here is the plan: Give $1 million dollars to each and every American citizen, including the disabled, calling it damages and reparations for what has been done by the Bush Administration. The money will be paid out in increments of $125 thousand every 6 months over 4 years. The program will then sunset. That money can be used by each citizen to buy back their homes, fix their cars, buy food for their families, and pay for the needs of their children. The money would have one irrevocable condition: no recipient could voluntarily quit their job or close their business for those 4 years. The penalty for voluntary quits or closure of businesses that were not closed at the inception of the program will be to empower the IRS to collect the tax on the ENTIRE $1 million, acting as a disincentive to closures and quits.

There must be simple eligibility criteria: you must be a citizen of the USA at the date the program begins. Late-comers will not be included. They must not be CONVICTED prisoners of any jail or correctional facility. They must be 18 years of age and NOT a dependent of a parent or guardian. If disabled, they must be recipients of SSI/SSDI or pending approval by hearing. Job related disability must remain a coverage of workers compensation by the states. Changing jobs, getting a new job, expanding a business...all of these would be encouraged. Importantly, this will NOT impact eligibility or receipt of current SSI/SSDI benefits, Veterans pensions, or SSA retirement. What little we receive now would remain in place, just as what little wage earners receive now will remain in place. Of course, as businesses recharge, they can choose to increase wages.

We will be able to suspend, not discontinue, subsidy programs such as Food Stamps, Section 8 housing, and even some costs under durable medical equipment, so long as controls are placed on regulation of those industries that have shown themselves to be predatory: the mortgage lending industry, the credit and banking industry, the insurance and medical industries. The money held back from programs that may no longer be needed during this time goes into the incremental pay out pot.

It's not cumbersome. It's simple. It has no pork attached. It's sleek. I don't think it can create a recession or depression. And it IS financially do-able. Rescind the Wall Street bail money (for bad faith by the Wall Streeters). Rescind the banking bail money for the same reason, and suspend payment to Detroit. They won't need it if there are 305 million millionaires in the USA over 4 years.

Kathy, If what you included in your post were actually DO-ABLE, that would be AWESOME. And yes, by the government not dispensing welfare or food stamps during that time, it would save a BUNDLE........

Ma---

Just to be clear, I just came across the concept on another website, though had similar ideas of my own. I just liked how clear this particular concept was. I'm sure there would be many who would squander the money and be no better off in a few years. However, it would be nice for everyone to have the chance to make it work for them.I'd read somewhere else, but can't find the quote, that tha bailout is enough money to pay off every home mortgage in america and still be able to give every person on the planet $1000. I wouldn't mind that either. I just know I've seen many more plausible concepts that would TRULY be beneficial to WE, THE PEOPLE and would stimulate the economy more than anything our wonderful government can come up with.

I remember something I picked up out of Parade magazine when the bailout plan showed up, saying that a one time 4.2% tax on the wealthiest one percent of Americans would equal $700 billion. Random fun fact.

I think the issue with handing people money is they're going to spend it. Yeah, it'll stimulate the economy, but only as long as they have that money. When it vanishes after all those years...that's it. Hopefully a lot of people used it wisely and paid off credit cards and car loans and mortgages. How many of them used the money to buys cars and land and homes that, when the money is gone, they will not be able to afford? When the money is gone, what will be different? Will we have invested more funds in education? In alternative fuels or environmental cleanup or done anything to better our collective futures?

When the money is gone, people will stop spending, and nothing will have changed. IMO you're creating a bubble-and we know how well that worked for the dot-com and housing industries.

I'd heard that both were "working"... surprised it has actually happened. I thought it was to begin 4/1.So, the SS money is pd how? $250 over a yr
default_laugh.png
Oh, yeah, that will help a lot!! $20 a mo.
Oh NO WE will get ALL of that $250 added to our SS check in May. A One Time Deal.

Thanks Minifancier......
default_wub.png

I won't hold my breath but, it would be a very nice increase to have
default_laugh.png
Yeah, even only one time. Once it gets here I'll find something to do with it.
default_rolleyes.gif
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back