sweetys offical foaling thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
default_saludando.gif
nope cant get near her
default_no.gif

I think Renee meant did you worm her soon after she foaled - a lot of folks worm the mare within 12 hours of foaling, not only does it mean the mare wont pass any worms to the foal via her milk, it can also help to avoid the foal having 'the runs' when the mare has her first season. Renee was asking if you wormed her when you had them both in for the vet when he came to see Beau soon after he was born.

I'm just wondering if this is Sweety having a foaling heat a little later than some mares do - I have noticed that some of my foals had sort of slimy bits in their poo when their dams came into season back in the days before I wormed at foaling. Maybe this is what is causing it with Beau?

default_saludando.gif
iam going to run a line of electric fence along the bottom of the fence

but i dont no how to set it up so have to wait till the weekend so the OH can do it

as he get home from work late at night

2dippg7.jpg

this is the very naughty doggy ruby
Hi naughty Ruby
default_saludando.gif
she does have that "Im sorry I just cant help myself" look in her eyes though but yes have to agree ZZAPPPP the lil minx lol

Look what happened to my poor lil hen sat on clutch of eggs
default_no.gif

9230_1160653711007_1667744376_418729_3009686_n.jpg

oh goodness me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

poor chooky!!! NAUGHTY GIRL!!!

when we first got my cavalier.. yes my tiny little puppy he went on a chook killing rampage even though they were as big as if not bigger then him, he would snap there necks!

my retriever doesn't even do that!!
default_no.gif
naughty puppies!!

Hi naughty Ruby
default_saludando.gif
she does have that "Im sorry I just cant help myself" look in her eyes though but yes have to agree ZZAPPPP the lil minx lol

Look what happened to my poor lil hen sat on clutch of eggs
default_no.gif

9230_1160653711007_1667744376_418729_3009686_n.jpg

default_saludando.gif
oh now thats naughty,,,, is that a french mastiff i wash a french mastiff ...thats me job mobile dog w

looks like a de bough dou (don't know how to spell sorry LOL ) maybe that is a french mastiff LOL

she is a beautiful dog anyway, well when she hasn't been killing chookies that is
default_unsure.png

yes all in the yes of these naughty girls
default_wink.png
she is a french mastiff yes aka douge de bordeaux..shame on her..now if it was a frog I could understand..shed be after the legs no doubt
default_new_rofl.gif

default_saludando.gif
just wormed sweety had to catch the foal b/c i couldnt catch sweety and put them in the stable to worm her

and every time i try to do up the halter she would flip her self back words and trying to worm well it was i night mare

so with a bit wrestling we got a wormer into her..........................................................................
closedeyes.gif
closedeyes.gif
closedeyes.gif
closedeyes.gif

Chuck some wormer in your foal kit. Then when your next girl goes you can give her a dose when you're doing all the foaling fuss
default_wink.png

aktion033.gif
Well done
aktion033.gif
It sounds like you had some fun
no.gif
Lets hope she calms down soon.

How long have you had Sweety? Has she always been like this with her headcollar and was she like it when you got her? Just thinking that she might have had an ear infection at sometime in the past and the headcollar strap going over behind her ears could have hurt her in the past, and she hasn't forgotten, so she runs backward to try to get away from it as you put it over?

One of my home bred stallions had an infection/sore area just behind his ear one winter and since then he cannot stand that ear to be touched of any sort of tweak from his mane or forelock on that side. He is fine to headcollar but fusses and jerks away if you have to fiddle around the head piece to straighten his mane. And, heavens forbid, if his mane tweaks under the head piece while he is being led around - he just shakes and shakes his head, it drives you mad! But there is nothing that can be done for him, it is all in his mind now (alongside many other mental ideas/problems that he has!
default_rolleyes.gif
) He also has a problem with anything on his right side, particularly people! Thanks to a stupid vet who came to do his jabs when he was around 6 months old, this poor lad panics at anyone standing on his right, so much so that if I'm leading him to the field and someone is in the way, I have to get them to change sides so that I pass them with me between them and him (I always lead him as usual on his left side). Talk about crazy hang-ups!! But we manage with him ok, live and let live and all that, and as he is now 8 years old, I dont suppose he will ever change!
default_wub.png

default_saludando.gif
ive had sweety for about a year and half and the only time ive been able to get next to her was when she was in foal

and in a smaller paddock ..iam her 5 owner and all the other owners only had her for a year got a foal out of her and then

passed her on did all those foals have problams too ? i now the last owner passed her on b/c she couldnt get near her

now the way i look at it if youve got a mare that is having lovely perfect foals you would not pass her on ..

go figer that one

it really upset me that she,s not friendly
default_no.gif

I would think that it goes a little deeper than just being sold on, perhaps she was rough handled as a baby
no.gif
I bought a few horses from a very sick in the head guy that had about 60 animals all together in a small field and there were also some dead ones. (2 shires, male and female donkeys, cows, a few haflinger and several mini including a stallion that had been fighting with the donkey) I tried reporting him but it just doesn't work here in Italy so I convinced hubby to let me buy some. I later found out that these minis had been thrown on a lorry as weanlings and imported from Holland.
no.gif
After 4 years they got much better but they were never friendly. I never managed to clip them or bath them as they just panicked too much and I was frightened to really upset them. They still can't be caught without food, when I went to get them I couldn't choose which ones to save so I said to hubby I will take the first ones that come and the ones that I saved were these ones that walked straight up to me and let me put a halter on them, I guess they were saying "please get me out of here"

how sad all those terrible stories, I think it is similar with my Penny, she just hasn't been able to trust people in the past , but she is slowly getting better through taking alot of time out with her...

I hope Sweety gets better for you Jenny

Poor Sweety - how very sad.
default_no.gif

I'm sure she was sold on so much because she was 'difficult' not because there was anything wrong with her foals.

It will take time to restore her trust in human beings after all she has been through - and yes, like Renee says, it probably stems from way back in her foal/yearling days - but if you can keep her then she will get used to your routine, and even gain confidence from your other girls. At this moment in time she may just be waiting to be passed on again, bless her.

They can get better my mare is a good example of that..shes not 100% but 90% better than she was when she arrived I think she actually enjoys my company now ( sometimes )
default_rolleyes.gif

Poor girl. She probably is thinking it's just going to come time to be moved on again.

I hope she does come around for you.

My Laney is not that bad.. isn't used to much hands on and can be hard to catch (maybe it's just her being moody lol). It is funny though because she knows sometimes what I am trying to do is help and she will stand and let me groom her after rain. Last night I went and dried Ricky off and wasn't expecting her to let me dry her with a towel but she stood there for me like she knew it was for her own good. I didn't halter her or anything. Ricky LOVES to be touched all over.. we bear hug him daily and Laney watches so maybe she sees all the loving is not bad. I do want to gain her trust as much as possible so she trusts me with her foal and if I need to assist during the foaling.

the profile picture of Laney and Ricky is gorgeous
default_wub.png
..Im sure she will come round in time..youv a gorgeous family Megan and shes very very lucky to have become a fully signed up member
default_aktion033.gif

I had a good old giggle to myself yesterday at the feed shop seeing products called "stroppy mare" and "moody mare" i think thats just mares for you !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back