sweetys offical foaling thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A boy called Beau

Welcome to the world little man

we will help you all we can,

your tiny legs aren't quite straight

but soon you'll have a perfect gait,

surrounded by love and care

we are here yet we can not stare,

you arrived for a special reason

in this cold and sunny season,

please forgive me if I am wrong

but I think it's to make mum strong,

when you are older and much bigger

we will all read back with a snigger,

you made us worry, you made us cry

Oh go on tell us why?

We love you Lil Beau
cheekkiss.gif

A boy called Beau

Welcome to the world little man

we will help you all we can,

your tiny legs aren't quite straight

but soon you'll have a perfect gait,

surrounded by love and care

we are here yet we can not stare,

you arrived for a special reason

in this cold and sunny season,

please forgive me if I am wrong

but I think it's to make mum strong,

when you are older and much bigger

we will all read back with a snigger,

you made us worry, you made us cry

Oh go on tell us why?

We love you Lil Beau
cheekkiss.gif

default_saludando.gif
oh that was beatifull

Absolutely brilliant Renne and very emotional!

Jenny I think that it is far more likely that his ligaments around his little kneecap are 'loose' rather than 'tight'. This is why we are all hoping and praying that things will strengthen with time and exercise.
default_yes.gif

And yes Diane, I am also thinking about him most of the day and sending healing thoughts, plus a load of very strong prayers in the quiet of the night.

Cant wait for some more pictures Jenny.
default_biggrin.png

default_aktion033.gif
More pictures of the gorgeous lil Beau while hes so tiny plzzzzz
default_wub.png
:wub hes a beautiful colour too

and i was talking to a vet and he reackons it very comin in miniatures and small breed dogs
Certainly not blaming you in any way shape or form but I think it is so very sad that some vets see this so often in minis....and worse that some breeders (and yes I do know of one) have it show up so often in ther lines and don't care
default_no.gif

I know somtimes these things just happen but when it becomes regular you would think you would honestly look at your herd and try to find the problem.

OK so I'm glad that I am amongst friends and can therefore be as stupid and thick as I like, BUT I STILL dont understand exactly what is wrong with Beau's leg/stifle? I do think that this might be the 'fault' of the vet who perhaps has not made clear to Jenny EXACTLY what he means according to his findings?

Upward luxation of the patella simply means that it either pops in and out of its 'groove' or locks - or both. Does Beau's patella lock so he walks with a straight legs at times (when locked he would be putting it to the floor heel first) or does he move with a limp with his toe near the floor or hitting the floor first when he treads down? (Incidently I remember Dr Taylor saying in a post about locking stifles that a horse not using its leg properly but dragging its TOE on the floor, is more likely to be caused by trouble in its HIP than in its stifle - locking stifles produce a heel first tread)

Or is his patella completely 'floating free' and way out of place - which is why I asked my question about the possibility of having it removed late on?

Sorry to keep on about this, but I do like to have my facts straight, especially when my small brain is in a muddle and having trouble working through all the foggy mist it usually contains. LOL!!

Regardless of anything else, I am still absolutely sure that little Beau should be given all the time in the world for Mother Nature to do her very best for him.
default_wub.png

Cant wait for some more pictures.
default_yes.gif

default_saludando.gif
hi everyone all your comments are making me feel i bit better

a friend of mine told me to rub linseed oil on his leg anyone heard of that

i will take some photos tomorow as today been fencing and built a stable so iam beggered

its just a thought but ive been thinking about change h is name to dicky knee LOL LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh he is just so CUTE!!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

If you had dropped the camera a few inches lower Jenny we could have viewed his little legs!

Actually Minimor has given a perfect explanation to 'fixed/lux/etc' patellas on Jenny's post in the main forum. It does sound as though little Beau has a dislocated (I like to call it that rather than luxating!) patella, probably due to his being born with a smooth surface on the stifle joint rather than the groove being there for the patella to 'run' in?

I have heard of vets performing surgery to re-groove the surface of the stifle joint, but only when it applied to a situation where the continual slipping or locking of the patella caused damage to the groove in older horses. But I can now see how this could be done on a youngster where the patella was dislocated/completely seperated (or is that sepArated??) and it would be interesting to know whether little Beau has part of a groove, a very shallow groove or no groove at all. But although I can see that extra cartlidge etc may develop to compensate for the damage, I dont think that is going to happen that quickly at Beau's age, plus he is still a bit young to have a GA (which will probably be necessary to get the x-rays anyway) so I think your vet's suggestion to give him 4 weeks before making any choices, is the right one.

He's certainly a happy little chappie and obviously doing well and drinking well, so we need to just keep saying our prayers and sending him healing thoughts for the moment.
default_yes.gif

Hi Jenny
default_smile.png

how is your little Beau doing?

I know a little bout slipping patella's done a fair few surgeries on dogs, but not on horses... will have a look at my vet nursing book though and see if I can find anything that will help you!

sending hugs and prayers to you!! I so wish we lived closer so I could be there for moral support for you
default_yes.gif

having a look at the video now
default_wink.png

he is too cute! what a good little drinker he is n Sweety is looking so well
default_wub.png

would we be able to have some more pics please
default_biggrin.png

Love to you n Sweety n Beau!!

watch this it helped me understand i bit more

i think it worked

default_wub.png
Hes gorgeous
default_wub.png
I love the video of him tucking in to the milk bar
default_wub.png
wishing him all the very best of luck with his knee
default_smile.png

default_saludando.gif
well my vet rang me back today and to do the surgery is $3000.00

tryed another vet and thay also wont $3000.oo

a friend was telling me about linseed oil rubbing it on his knee so i will try that....

but uf it doesnt work i will have to put him down

i iam so upset its just not fair
default_crybaby.gif
:CryBaby
default_crybaby.gif
:CryBaby
default_crybaby.gif

I have no advice as I have no experience but I am so very very sorry. I send hugs and prayers.

If it does come to that could you ring the national foaling bank as they may have an orphan foal that needs a mare to suckle on and at least you could help another baby?

cheekkiss.gif

I only have dial up and can't watch vedios, can you post a couple of pictures taken from the side of him? I have a yearling now with a stifle that pops in and out, but he is improving with exercise, and will be gelded once he drops. He wasn't born with it, but it started when he was around six months old. Your guy may not have the same problem, but something else all together.

Jenny, I haven't been on line as much as usual. Beau is darling.

I just watched your video. Although it certainly isn't my place

to tell or suggest what you should do, from that latest video I,

personally, if Beau was mine, would be very hesitant to have him

euthanized.

My goodness, he gets around fine, he jumps, runs, does little bucks

he's eating well and is acting just like a happy wee little guy.

He is just precious.

I'm not a vet but to put things in perspective many many humans and

other 4 legged creatures have learned to get around just fine with

leg abnormalities.

If he's not in desperate pain and is a happy little guy, geld him

when the time is appropriate, keep his weight good so he's not having

to put extra stress on his limbs and then just love the heck out of him

or find someone that would be delighted to dote on him.

Anyway, that's what I would do, if he's not in pain.....after all, most of

us have 'something' we deal with yet we find ways to live our lives to the

fullest, we are able.

Very true Equuisize, I have a mule that I rescued that is very lame in one of her back legs. She was hit by a car near my house and no one claimed her, she has permanent damage but isn't in pain. I have tried giving her pain meds and had her infiltrated. She hobbles around just fine and can even run and buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back