Suzie had a gorgeous little colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck at the vets Cassie, lol

Sorry you are not well, please get well soon.

Hugs renee

Of course suzie had her baby out in the rain all night lol gosh suz!!! Poor baby boy is very wet
default_sad.png
lol he has found a new love of grass n will eat it constantly lol I think he missed it

When I post the photos I would like your opinion... It's something I have been thinking about for a while but until Bree posted the pics of her little mans blue fleck I thought I was just seeing things... Lol I think Finn has a blue fleck too
default_smile.png
it will be interesting to see what you think it's not a very good photo of his eye but the best one I could get lol now I'll keep you in suspense!! Eerhhheeeehhheee (that's an evil laugh) lol
Would love to see pics!

Foals can have a bit of blue colouring, somtimes even a fleck in their eyes that fades with age. A bit like baby eyes! They can also be hard to photograph
default_wacko.png
What you guys see in Storm's photos is like a watery version of his fleck, and of course the little rotter won't let me stick the camera right up to his eyes
default_new_rofl.gif

Permanent blue flecks do appear when connected to particular genes. In Storm's case it's splash overo from his mum and supposedly his dad, the added proof of that is in his back socks
default_yes.gif
Other permanent flecks I have seen have always been on pintos and the only time they appear on a 'solid' horse is when the horse is hiding overo. Is Finn hiding any overo in his background?

Anyway congrats on getting them home.
default_laugh.png

Don't wallow in guilt either, you've learnt from the mistake and you caught him in time to save him which is the important thing!

I will add my good wishes for your visit to the 'vet' Cassie -he'd better get your foot sorted pronto or he will have a lot of Aunties on his case!
default_biggrin.png

The fleck in Finn's eye could mean that he has colour from the coloured stallion that might be his sire?????? Does Finn have any white anywhere else - a spot under his tummy hidden from view? Colours, or rather discovering them, can be such fun!!

OK Cassy heres the deal, you did not make a mistake, you should not feel quilty. Take it from an old, very old, breeder, you can't predict what will happen with a foal, and you can't watch them every second of the day.

Wanna hear a story?

It's the story of Prince Harry, He was named after Prince Harry of England becuase of his red coloring, he was red with a white blaze and white socks he was born several years ago during a terrable heat wave. The temps were in the 100's for days and the nights were just as miserable. His birth was uneventful and he nursed and acted just like any other colt for the first two days of his life. On the third day I turned him and his mum out for a run, they were so tired of being in the stall under the fan. They ran, and his mum showed him off to the mares in the next paddock. Of course I locked them in at night as it was so hot and I wanted only the best for them. The next day I let them out again but only for a couple of hours in the early morning, it was 105 and very humid. When I brought them back in Harry was a little slow, but I thought it was the heat. Once in the stall he was a little better for the rest of the time. The next day it wasn't as hot so I left them out all day. Now I'm retired so I'm home all the time and the mare and foal paddock is just across the driveway, I can look at them out the window and back door, I didn't notice anything wrong all day. I went out after I noticed that Harry had been laying in the same spot for some time, and in the sun, he wouldn't get up. His mum udder was full, which meant he hadn't nursed in a while. I had to pick him up and carry him into the stall. I shut them up in there and called the vet. His temp was up and I thought he may have suffered heat stroke. I pinched his skin and he was dehydrated. I called the vet ASAP. She came out and confirmed he was dehydrated and we couldn't get a vein to give him IV fluids. When he stood up he had very loose stool. I had to give him fluids sub Q all night every hour and milk his mum and force feed him with a syringe. By morning he was better but not 100%. The vet came back out first thing in the morning to check on him and said to keep him on his fluids, try to get him to nurse on his own, and keep him in the stall and on his meds. I was so tired, no sleep all night, then nursing him all day, but finally it paid off he started nursing on his own. The next morning when the vet arrived he was back to his old self, but still the question remained what had caused this? Vet sid ope the door and let them out I want to see what he does. As soon as I opened the door he and his mum ran out so happy to be free. The next thing he did was go to the water tub and drink water! Cause found! I hadn't seen him drink water before, but the vet said very young foals should only drink mums milk. So I had to dump the tub and of course he couldn't reach the bucket in the stall, so that was what mum had to drink. I felt so guilty, just like you, and I've been breeding for years. It does no good to feel quilty, all you can do is the best you can do, which is what you did. Bless you. Feel better.

Terry thank you for sharing this, may it be a lesson to us all, especially me anyway cos it is really hot here in the summer.

Terry thank you for sharing this, may it be a lesson to us all, especially me anyway cos it is really hot here in the summer.
Sometimes it doesn't hurt to bare your soul to make someone elses soul feel better. Cassy needs to get over her guilt, she did nothing wrong.

Oh yes, how things can go so very wrong!! How about this for making you feel guilty?

The year we moved to Wales (moved in September) we had the worst foaling season ever. A month before they were all due to start I found a maiden mare in a muck sweat by the field gate one morning. Got her in and she was obviously trying to abort her foal who was mal-presented. Vet came and managed to get the foal out - cord was totally twisted and foal must have been dead a few hours. Poor mare exhausted and stayed flat out all day which freaked me out, but she slowly pulled round over the next few days. Two days later a second mare doing the same thing. Not a maiden. Caught this one as she started rolling in the field so called the vet before she got exhausted. Mal-presented foal again with a totally screwed up cord. Got the foal out again and mare recovered quickly. Week later (all pregnant mares now stabled overnight) early one morning one of the experienced mares went into labour - red bag. Never having seen or even heard of this before I kept her on her feet until the vet arrived! Not that it would have helped as foal was again mal-presented dead and with a badly twisted cord. It took longer to get this foal out and mare spent several days on pain killers, but suffered no lasting harm. Vet never explained the red bag syndrome to me nor told me what to do about it (he was an awful vet and we hated him but no-one else available). Two days later another maiden mare in labour - red bag again. Phoned vet and, yes, kept her on her feet, vet didn't get the message and was 30 minutes late, still had mare on her feet walking behind her holding the red bag hich still hadn't burst. Mare insisted on laying down so we got her back into her stable and down she went, the bag burst an out came a beautifully presented filly foal - STILL with life in her. Could feel a fluttering heart beat, so busy blowing air up one of her nostils to keep her breathing as the vet arrived. He gave her a jab but we lost her a few minutes later. This one would have lived had he explained red bags to me!!!

I've not finished yet!! Another few days and Chapella went into labour - Cathy and I were really freaking out by now! Normal birth, little chestnut pinto colt. Left him laying half under Chapella's tail with his hind feet still in contact with her (as we usually do while we clear the bag from the foals head, but now we always move the mares tail if it has flicked acrss the foal and check the foals cord!) He seemed fine but when I brushed Chapella's tail aside I saw that his cord was, yes, badly twisted, plus it was wrapped round his hind leg above the hock. Now it was really just minutes between his birth and when I saw the cord, so I will never know if it was the twisted cord that stopped him getting enough oxygen or the cord round his leg that added to the twist to reduce the oxygen level even further, but the little lad just wasn't right and passed away the following day. He was breathing ok, but was obviously oxygen starved, but did those few minutes of me not noticing make the difference between life and death. If I had untangled the cord from his leg sooner would he have got just a little bit more oxygen through to his brain!! Could I have saved him, just as I could have saved that little filly if I had known about red bags. Of course I know that none of it was really my fault, but the guilty feeling stayed with me for so long and I still think of those two little lost lives today.

Can you imagine how we felt waiting for the other mares to foal!!! But I am happy to report that from then on we had another 6 foals, all normal, uncomplicated births and NO TWISTED CORDS!!

Thank you everyone for making me feel better
default_smile.png

its always sad when you can't save a life... I have plenty of experience with cows with that especially this season! and at the vets with all the little sick animals that we deal with and can't save...

it makes it so much better when you can save a life! and I am so happy and grateful to all of you and hawkesbury equine clinic for everything they did! my little special Finn, is even more special now
default_wub.png

I didn't tell you about our trip to go n pick him up hehe.

at the vets there is the main car park, then another gate that is always closed which leads round to the stables and horses... you drive through this gate to drop off or pick up horses, so this is what we did... we got suzie and Finn out of the stable... after much protest from the nurses LOL they didn't want me to take Finn back home they fell in love with him LOL

we walked them outside the stable (suzie on a lead and finn walking behind... the area is safe enough to have him do this) we led Suzie up the ramp to the float, but Finn didn't want to walk up there, he kept on going either side of the float
default_rolleyes.gif
LOL we were patient with him as we didn't want him to get scared...

A horse truck pulled up on the other side of the gate, a FAT man got out and started opening the gate. I said "excuse me can you close the gate please?" he didn't do a thing and kept on opening the gate then the nurse who was with us said... "can you please close the gate? we are trying to get this mare and foal loaded" didn't listen the gate is now 2 metres wide open!!! Finn was getting quite scared and bolty now and I didn't want to risk losing him out on the road! so I said "CLOSE THE GATE!!" actually I yelled it! LOL I wasn't going to save my baby foal to a stupid idiot who wouldn't close the gate! anyway he STILL didn't close the gate! I was getting really quite cranky now n I don't like to swear but I was very annoyed so I yelled at him "CLOSE THE BLOODY GATE!!!" hehe he then yelled back in his stupid arrogant voice "What do you think I am? Stupid?" um yeah! so I yelled back hehe "YEAH I DO!!!!!" hehe well it worked he closed the gate
default_yes.gif
he was such a jerk! then once we got them loaded he came driving through the gate and turned around in the turning circle and parked there so my friend Lisa had to reverse and turn 6 times to get around him! he was such an idiot!! LOL so that was one of my fun stories from our trip to pick Finn and Suzie up LOL

hope you all enjoy reading that
default_wink.png

Would love to see pics!

Foals can have a bit of blue colouring, somtimes even a fleck in their eyes that fades with age. A bit like baby eyes! They can also be hard to photograph
default_wacko.png
What you guys see in Storm's photos is like a watery version of his fleck, and of course the little rotter won't let me stick the camera right up to his eyes
default_new_rofl.gif

Permanent blue flecks do appear when connected to particular genes. In Storm's case it's splash overo from his mum and supposedly his dad, the added proof of that is in his back socks
default_yes.gif
Other permanent flecks I have seen have always been on pintos and the only time they appear on a 'solid' horse is when the horse is hiding overo. Is Finn hiding any overo in his background?

Anyway congrats on getting them home.
default_laugh.png

Don't wallow in guilt either, you've learnt from the mistake and you caught him in time to save him which is the important thing!
Thanks Bree, would they still have that fleck at 2 months old? because there were two possible dads, the old owner wasn't sure which one... but there was a silver taffy like Suzie, and a bay and white pinto with BLUE EYES! so there was a possibilty he could get blue eyes if he was the dad... I guess we will see if the blue fleck stays... I'm still not all that familiar with all that sort of stuff so you girls might not think its a blue fleck... I will try post the pics this arvo after work as my lunch break will be going to the docs LOL

Thanks Bree, would they still have that fleck at 2 months old? because there were two possible dads, the old owner wasn't sure which one... but there was a silver taffy like Suzie, and a bay and white pinto with BLUE EYES! so there was a possibilty he could get blue eyes if he was the dad... I guess we will see if the blue fleck stays... I'm still not all that familiar with all that sort of stuff so you girls might not think its a blue fleck... I will try post the pics this arvo after work as my lunch break will be going to the docs LOL

I've heard of baby blues hanging around for up to 6 months, someone even swore hers lasted to 12 months!

I believe if the pinto sire was carrying overo/splash then he could pass it on to Finn with the only visual aid being the blue fleck, I've never heard of visual blue and no white connected to any other pinto pattern.

Cassie, how did it go at the vets???? I hope you are feeling better.

Thanks for the story,
new_rofl.gif
I love the way you write, I can so easily vision your fat lorry driver
new_rofl.gif

Ok thanks Bree I guess we shall just see lol could that be the same with storm??
default_smile.png

Haha Renee thanks yeah it was a fun story lol

I have some very exciting news!!!! My gorgeous cow Kia just delivered a beautiful little black calf!!!! It is so so so cute!!!!! It was lying down when I saw it so I couldn't determine the sex ;( but I will hehe hoping for a beautiful little heifer!!! Will post the pics after youth group :D so excited!!!

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Well done Kia - I hope it is a little heifer Cassie.
default_yes.gif

Love your story about the lorry driver - what a prat!!

Interesting what you are saying about splash/overo colouring Bree. One of the first foals we had from Dragon (LWO+) was a solid chestnut (dam solid bay, no white) but with a narrow white blaze, brown eyes. Very disappointed that she showed no colouring especially as her dam's sire was appy! But then we found it - tiny white circle on her right side almost hidden under her tummy (which is why I suggested that Cassie look carefully under Finn's tummy for any hidden white) so highly possible this little filly will carry splash/overo after all! We shall obviously be testing for LWO before breeding her in the future.
default_yes.gif

What did the Doc say Cassie?

Ok thanks Bree I guess we shall just see lol could that be the same with storm??
default_smile.png
Storm's a pintaloosa, genetic and visible appaloosa and splash. The splash is his blue fleck and the white socks
default_laugh.png

Interesting what you are saying about splash/overo colouring Bree. One of the first foals we had from Dragon (LWO+) was a solid chestnut (dam solid bay, no white) but with a narrow white blaze, brown eyes. Very disappointed that she showed no colouring especially as her dam's sire was appy! But then we found it - tiny white circle on her right side almost hidden under her tummy (which is why I suggested that Cassie look carefully under Finn's tummy for any hidden white) so highly possible this little filly will carry splash/overo after all! We shall obviously be testing for LWO before breeding her in the future.
default_yes.gif

What did the Doc say Cassie?
I've learnt a lot about the pinto colours recently but have really learnt a lot about splash and overo in general, you really want to with the risk of LWO floating around. Plus I bug everyone I can about the colours and lines of their horses, the more I learn the more I know
default_biggrin.png

ok before I crash...

I wonder if antibiotics make you more tired LOL hmmm, could be a good excuse anyway hehe

yes I am on Penicillin antibiotics YAY in a LOT of pain right now... going to grab a few neurofen before heading to bed.... Doc said I have a fungal infection caused by my excma...
default_no.gif
I don't care as long as you fix it!! I have to take antibiotics 4 times a day!! so I have a pack at work and a pack at home LOL fun and games... I also have to have them half an hour before food, or 2 hours after.... I didn't get lunch till 5:15pm today... waiting another 10 min before I have dinner... yawn.... grumble grumble grumble I'm hungry LOL

here are the long awaited pics
default_biggrin.png

finn1.jpg

back to his normal bratty self
default_rolleyes.gif
LOL

finn2.jpg

n this is something he has only just started!! going to break him out of this habit REAL quick!
default_nono.gif

finn3.jpg

finn4.jpg

n his blue fleck??? what do you think?

finneye.jpg

n now my brand new baby! gender still unconfirmed LOL

new calf 3.jpg

new calf.jpg

new calf2.jpg

default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Sorry you are sick Cassie, i hope you get better soon, antibiotics are horrible but worth it to make you better.

Finn looks great and don't worry about him humping mummy, it is totally normal and Suzie will stop it if he gets carried away. My Odette is Aunty to all my foals cos she lets them jump all over her, they treat her like a toy and she patiently lets them, when they go to far she will tell them off but then she immediately goes and scratches them, she is adorable to watch cos she genuinely loves them all.

I think Finn's eye looks blue.

Last edited by a moderator:
There he is, our wonderful boy!!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

He looks great Cassie - not even lost any weight. LOL!! Please dont worry about him jumping on Suzie, she will tell him off when she's ready. Most colts, and a lot of fillies, do this during 'play time'.
default_yes.gif

But now you can see why I say no headcollars on mares with foal, it's just too dangerous as babies often jump at mare's heads or necks and then slide off in the perfect position to slip a front leg down inside a headcollar's nose band, with disasterous results as the mare probably panics and runs off with baby in a total tangle hanging by a foreleg!!

Regarding Finn's blue eye - it looks a bit larger than a 'fleck' to me Cassie so perhaps it will stay or even incease. Is the other eye totally brown? Inspite of Finn's bay colour, it does look as though the pinto stallion is the sire, unless the other stallion is 'hiding' something?

There he is, our wonderful boy!!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

He looks great Cassie - not even lost any weight. LOL!! Please dont worry about him jumping on Suzie, she will tell him off when she's ready. Most colts, and a lot of fillies, do this during 'play time'.
default_yes.gif

But now you can see why I say no headcollars on mares with foal, it's just too dangerous as babies often jump at mare's heads or necks and then slide off in the perfect position to slip a front leg down inside a headcollar's nose band, with disasterous results as the mare probably panics and runs off with baby in a total tangle hanging by a foreleg!!

Regarding Finn's blue eye - it looks a bit larger than a 'fleck' to me Cassie so perhaps it will stay or even incease. Is the other eye totally brown? Inspite of Finn's bay colour, it does look as though the pinto stallion is the sire, unless the other stallion is 'hiding' something?
Morning all
default_smile.png
or night for you lot LOL

thanks, he has lost a little bit of weight, but it was weight he was able to lose
default_wink.png
he is a bit less of a chubba wubba now, which is good... Suzie has also lost a bit of weight to... she doesn't look pregnant anymore LOL thank goodness, its not good to have a mare look pregnant when she has a baby at foot LOL

I had a look at the colour calculator for the pinto stallion... these are the results...

Offspring Color Probability

10.99% -

Bay Sabino

10.99% -

Bay Sabino/Splash

10.99% -

Bay Splash

10.99% -

Silver Bay Splash

10.99% -

Silver Bay Sabino/Splash

10.99% -

Silver Bay Sabino

10.99% -

Silver Bay

10.99% -

Bay

1.56% -

Chestnut Sabino/Splash

1.56% -

Chestnut Sabino

1.56% -

Chestnut Splash

1.56% -

Chestnut

0.73% -

Silver Black Splash

0.73% -

Black Splash

0.73% -

Black Sabino/Splash

0.73% -

Black Sabino

0.73% -

Black

0.73% -

Silver Black

0.73% -

Silver Black Sabino

0.73% -

Silver Black Sabino/Splash

WOW!! What a variety of possible colours!! So possibly a Bay/splash for Finn???

How's the foot this morning? Just wanted to say that if you get a nice sunny day, take off your shoe and sock and go sit with the sun on your foot - even 15 minutes will help coz the sun's rays are one of the best things to soothe/calm/heal excema!!
default_yes.gif

AnnaC said:
1322902758[/url]' post='1430393']WOW!! What a variety of possible colours!! So possibly a Bay/splash for Finn???

How's the foot this morning? Just wanted to say that if you get a nice sunny day, take off your shoe and sock and go sit with the sun on your foot - even 15 minutes will help coz the sun's rays are one of the best things to soothe/calm/heal excema!!
default_yes.gif
Oh thanks Anna will try that in the morning
yes.gif
I have been avoiding wearing shoes n socks as much as possible
default_smile.png
been trying to rest a lot today prob should have been using the time to work on assignments but instead I read n played computer games hehenwill do assignments omorrow lol maybe... It's gonna be a bit of a sad day tomorrow my Frisian steer that I hand raised is going to the markets.
sad.gif
I know all he is good for is hamburger meat n right now is the best time to sell him... But he was my baby.... I bought him n Kia at the same time n hand raised the both of them....
no.gif
I'm gonna miss him I guess... Hopefully Kia won't miss him. They always eat together n hang around each other... I know it's the right decision though
smile.gif

If you get a chance watch the movie soul surfer its based on a true story n absolutely beautiful telling of how strong we can be through hard times, n the God!! Look up the song set the world on fire by britt nichol.... An awesome song would put it p here myself but I'm on my iPad still haven't worked out how to do that yet hehe anyway night all...Morning Anna, Renee n Lindi
saludando.gif
N diane when u wake up lol you will prob be exhausted poor thing! Hope you all have a great weekend!,

Latest posts

Back