Suzie had a gorgeous little colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come on now Cassie youv had long enough
default_yes.gif
lets be having some pictures
default_aktion033.gif

default_saludando.gif
has the little man had a good drink yet andhad his first poo and is it normal for suzie to be laying down lots

I agree I think he looks bay too. And so so cute and getting better on his legs by the minute.

Suzie looks so chuffed with her new baby, I just love to see it.

Yes id say normal for Suzie laying down
default_yes.gif
shes had quite a shock there with it all happening so quickly and a good size foal too..shes going to be tired and still having alot of after pains for some time yet but baby will take her mind off all that
default_wub.png
she really does love him doesnt she
default_wub.png

I love nothing more then watching mares with their newborn foals.
default_wub.png
:wub Of course some mares love them forever!

Just curious, how many of you at this point would call the vet for pain meds?

Not me..its all over now
default_aktion033.gif

bit of after pain never hurt anyone with a new baby along side them
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It's lovely to see him up on those feet and making his way around his new home. What a good girl Suzie is, she really does love him doesn't she, bless her.

I have to laugh though at the way the mares all have to interfere and lick or push their babies around everytime baby thinks about having a search for some food. LOL!!

Also - have just done an interesting 'time' investigation. Judging from the posts here.....

3.40am - 4.15am Cassie posting pictures, calling friends and chatting on here.

4.24am Suzie down.

4.34am Suzie pushing.

4.38am Baby born.

So exactly an HOUR from when Cassie was posting the pictures and chatting to friends and us about the fact that we might have a foal born later during the night, to the birth of Suzie's baby son.!! And under 10 minutes from when Suzie laid down to when baby was born!!

When everyone was looking at and commenting on Cassie's brilliant wax pictures, I dont think any of us realised Suzie would foal that quickly after they were posted, plus how quickly she actually foaled. I hope any 'first time' humans with foaling mares see this so they realise just how fast it can happen - having a shower or just popping off to feed other animals/to the local shop etc, fully expecting to have at least a couple of hours to spare before anything would be happening, could mean missing the foaling completely! Suzie has taught some 'new' folk a valuable lesson and reminded us 'oldies' just how watchful we have to be.

Good on you Suzie.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Very well said Anna! When these girls go they can certainly go QUICK!

On the pain relief thing I'm not one to use it, I know some people feel it makes it easier for the whole nursing issue and dealing with typical post foaling discomfort but I don't like masking symptoms when I'm still watching the mare in case somthing is wrong. I guess there are pros and cons on both sides so it comes down to a personal choice.
default_smile.png

so true Anna, no wonder I missed all my girls before getting a cam. I even missed one last year who foaled whilst i was cooking lunch (about 40 minutes)
no.gif
I knew she was close but she had never foaled during the day before
wink.gif
Since then all 4 of mine have all foaled before 10 .30 pm any ideas on that anyone???

I see Cassie is back checking on things, good girl Cassie
aktion033.gif

Just curious, how many of you at this point would call the vet for pain meds?
If i had it on hand, i would give it to her, but Cassie has actually asked me my opinion, and to me, Suzie seems to be improving, she is on her feet more often, and she is up and letting her baby try to drink fairly often. If she wasnt getting up for bubs, or wasnt improving then i'd be more concerned. Cassie is trying to help the foal to latch on (he still hasnt had much) to help her contract back up and feel better sooner. She has also tried across the road for pain meds, but no luck. So giving it more time to see how Suzie goes before resorting to the vet.

Many of my mares will do this after foaling even with pain meds - as long as they keep getting back up for baby, then some mares (especially the more experienced broodies with "looser" bellies, and more to contract) i just keep a close eye on them...

How funny that Suzie foaled exactly one hour after the photos!!
default_wacko.png
She sure did progress quickly

so true Anna, no wonder I missed all my girls before getting a cam. I even missed one last year who foaled whilst i was cooking lunch (about 40 minutes)
no.gif
I knew she was close but she had never foaled during the day before
wink.gif
Since then all 4 of mine have all foaled before 10 .30 pm any ideas on that anyone???

I see Cassie is back checking on things, good girl Cassie
aktion033.gif

I think they are messing with you. Mares are evil that way
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually agree with you Bree. We have only used it occasionally when a mare seemed to be really uncomfortable still a few hours after foaling. I see Suzie is up and letting the foal search, but I was a little concerned a short while ago about the amount of time she was spending down. A foal does need its Momma on her feet sso that it can follow its natural searching instinct.
default_yes.gif

I also think that if Suzie would stay on her feet, her new little boy would search and find that milk supply given a bit longer. He is getting a bit 'attached' to Cassie right now. Suz needs to stay up and he will be fine. JMO.
default_yes.gif

Thanks everyone for answering, I was thinking like you a while back Anna that is why I asked but as Bree says with time she is getting better.

Cassie is doing such a wonderful job for a young lady and her first time.

Three cheers for Cassie: hip hip hooray
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

If i had it on hand, i would give it to her, but Cassie has actually asked me my opinion, and to me, Suzie seems to be improving, she is on her feet more often, and she is up and letting her baby try to drink fairly often. If she wasnt getting up for bubs, or wasnt improving then i'd be more concerned. Cassie is trying to help the foal to latch on (he still hasnt had much) to help her contract back up and feel better sooner.
I now keep 10ml syringes in my foal kit. When Lyric hadn't fed after being pinched Rivain was quite touchy, I was able to trigger the milk flow and while showing Lyric where to look I filled a syring. Lyric then got a few doses down near her mum's udder so she got the boost she needed while learnign about where to look. Really helped by releasing some of the pressure Rivain was feeling!

Not somthing I would do for every foal but I like having it on hand in case it's needed.

I'm so glad I got to see this birth
default_wub.png
After waiting so long isn't it fantastic to see this long awaited happy family?

happy family.jpg

Looking at the cam now, yes, I would be putting in a call to the vet before it gets too late in the evening. Suzie does not need to keep laying down so much after all this time and the foal is getting tired - remember he has had a fast birth which made him a bit shocked and slow to his feet, then his Momma keeps laying down so he is not finding 'things' to search on, plus he has been moved around and held steady while Cassie tried to get him to nurse (not saying she's wrong, please dont think that), all very tiring for a baby and showing what can happen when a mare needs to rest more than normal.

So yes, IMO now is the time to call for some help???

Latest posts

Back