Sunny's Pregnancy and Foaling Thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's some pictures taken yesterday (11/4). She's about the same as my last post, still not eating as much and she seems to be grumpy, she doesn't want me catching or petting her anymore. She will let me, it just takes more coaxing than usual.

027.jpg

028.jpg

030.jpg

034.jpg

042.jpg

053.jpg

AnnaC- she now has a pretty big stall and outside run so she does to a fair amount of walking around, walks down the road is a good idea too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great set of pictures - dont know if it is the angle of your camera but her tummy really looks bigger in these than in the previous ones.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

And not sure if it is my imagination or again the camera, but is there a tiny bit of filling in her udder? What does everyone else thing?

It was just a thought of mine about her exercise - a lot of mares have periods of not wanting to do very much when they are feeling a bit 'full' with foal, but exerise is essential and a walk down the road/somewhere new is not only good for them, but interesting too (plus it is a good way to increase the bonding between a mare and her walking companion.
default_yes.gif
)

Lets have the next set of pictures in a week's time if possible, then we should be able to see some more differences. It is really exciting to be able to follow the progress of a mare through the run up to foaling so thank you for letting us share Sunny's journey.

Great set of pictures - dont know if it is the angle of your camera but her tummy really looks bigger in these than in the previous ones.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

And not sure if it is my imagination or again the camera, but is there a tiny bit of filling in her udder? What does everyone else thing?

It was just a thought of mine about her exercise - a lot of mares have periods of not wanting to do very much when they are feeling a bit 'full' with foal, but exerise is essential and a walk down the road/somewhere new is not only good for them, but interesting too (plus it is a good way to increase the bonding between a mare and her walking companion.
default_yes.gif
)

Lets have the next set of pictures in a week's time if possible, then we should be able to see some more differences. It is really exciting to be able to follow the progress of a mare through the run up to foaling so thank you for letting us share Sunny's journey.
totally agreeing with you Anna!!!

wow I can see the change in Sunny Yippee!!

do you have any older pics of her udder...? don't remember seeing any on here... might help us know if she is filling up
default_smile.png
have you felt any difference in her udder??

I think Anna's right! Definetly looks like some changes
default_laugh.png

default_saludando.gif
she looking very close but i still think the udders got a bit more to go

or thay could go like dusty have not much udder

have you change her feed as the vet said to me if you change there feed it can make there udders shrink up

thats what happened to dusty i added a new feed

but she is gunna have one very cute foal

good luck hope all goes good

Thanks guys! It's very exciting indeed and thanks for following along on this experience!

She's doing really well and I think her udder is at the very beginning stages of filling, the pictures are kind of hard to tell but yes she's filled a little bit, you can definately tell the difference when you feel her udder. The change seemed overnight (well technically from morning till evening), the morning check she felt completely empty and sucked up like she normally was, than come evening I could feel that her udder was hanging lower and felt fuller (just a tad but it was noticable). Her belly is definatley quite a bit bigger than before, she's starting to look like she's actually pregnant lol
default_smile.png
The past few days she's been laying out flat on her side to sleep quite a bit, other than that she's been about the same.

I think we're on the right track and she's coming along nicely, I told her she needs to go by the book, no surprises!
default_wink.png
default_biggrin.png
(but of course we all know how that goes!
default_rolleyes.gif
)

We should be moving onto our property in a week or two and we've started building her foaling stall so all should be ready to go by the time we're ready to move in, I'm hoping she holds out until then but if not we'll do the best we can.

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
Can't wait to see what she is cooking! Your girl is so pretty!

oh how exciting for the big move!!

sorry I don't think I ever caught your name...?

this is the exciting and stressful part... but enjoy it!
default_biggrin.png
she will give you that gorgeous little one before long!

are you going to have her up on camera at all when she is really close??

oh how exciting for the big move!!

sorry I don't think I ever caught your name...?

this is the exciting and stressful part... but enjoy it!
default_biggrin.png
she will give you that gorgeous little one before long!

are you going to have her up on camera at all when she is really close??

My name is Anna
default_smile.png

I wish I could have her up on camera! Just can't afford it right now, I really wish we could though, that'd be nice!

I'm excited to see what she's got in there
default_smile.png

default_saludando.gif
it is very exciting when foals are close to being born

but very stress full as well ,,,iam having to re colour me gray hair every 2 weeks LOL LOL

well Hi there Anna
default_smile.png
now we have two Anna's
default_biggrin.png
and two Renee's
default_biggrin.png
LOL

fair enough
default_yes.gif
I understand completely! well make sure you keep us update with any progress please n thankyou
default_laugh.png

so are we! so are we!!

So she's made a little bit of a change, for a week or two she was acting really grumpy all the time-wanting to be left alone, did'n't want me touching her belly or udder, would just walk around-not wanting to move around much, she would lay flat out alot. Well now she's easy to catch again, she lets me feel her belly without pitching a fit and she lets me feel her udder without getting cranky. She also was running and kicking up her heels around her pen, apparently she's feeling better now? Maybe the foal was moving into position and her belly was uncomfortable? As it was facing breach when the vet did the ultrasound. I'm not sure how long it can take the foals to move into the correct position. But she's acting her usual self again, we'll see how long this lasts lol
default_rolleyes.gif

Thats great news, yes it is quite possible that she was uncomfortable. Can we have some new pics soon. Lol

Yes, a lot of mares suddenly feel more comforable/become their usual sweet selves once the foal shifts its position. Most foals will move into the foaling position in the last week or so of pregnancy - this is when you see the mares tummy take on the V shape when viewed from the side. So pictures whenever you can make it please - we like to watch for this V to appear!
default_yes.gif

Hi Anna from another Anna.
default_saludando.gif

LOL! Diane, I know what you mean by these clever mares. Not the same as you but when tiny Heidi started to foal last year, she just would not stop rolling (very unusual for her) and Cathy and I were following her round her stable, everytime she laid down we were there thinking 'here we go' and asking her to stay put so we could help. In the end she stopped and started to push. We got a foot and a nose only and what we had seemed to be slightly off angle. Luckily we found the other foot over the foals head beside his far ear and as soon as we pulled it over and down into the right place, his whole body righted itself and out he shot! Heidi knew that he wasn't quite in the right position and was trying to straighten him bless her. But in spite of her small size she is very wide in the pelvic region and has always foaled very easily, so I'm sure she would have got him out ok if we hadn't been there, but all that extra rolling did tire her out bless her, which is why, inspite of a dose of pain meds, she decided to remain resting until she was ready to get up - delaying him his first drink for quite a while! LOL!!

Love the brood mares!
default_wub.png

Hi to another Anna..hope the move goes well for you..you know what they say " new house ..new baby"
default_yes.gif

Here's some pics taken 11/9. She's doing pretty much the same as my last post. Gotta make this quick, so here's the pics......
default_smile.png

1263.jpg

1266.jpg

1277.jpg

1271.jpg

1348.jpg

Back