Sunday, our little foal was mauled by two pit bulls

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would you kill a Blue Heeler. do You understand they are a herding dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! did YOu raise them from Pups? i have a well trained female that will not herd. she has to be told to do her job. it all comes in training i would of never shot one

all i am saying is you can work with them if you did not who is to blame
I think she shot the dogs because they were chasing the horses--note that she didn't say the dogs belonged to her!
I too would shoot blue heelers or any other breed of dogs if they were to come here & start running my horses. Sorry, I don't care if they are herding dogs or fighting bred dogs or hunting dogs or whatever, they are not to be here harassing my animals and we have laws in place which entitle me to dispose of any dogs that do come and harass my horses!

So glad to hear Moonshadow is recovering after his ordeal, such a brave little chap he was, when the vet was working on him. Please keep us updated on his progress.

Yvonne

You need an Anatolian! We had something similar happen 25 years ago. Since then we have had the Anatolians. They are wonderful protectors and will not hurt an animal that is not agressive. BUT- one that comes wandering in here looking to kill or harm- they are dead immediately. I know that sounds cruel, but only twice have we caught them in the act of protecting the horses and attacking a stray dog and we stopped them and saved the stray. We learned after several hundreds of dollars in vet bills to save the neighbors attacking dog to just let the Anatolians do their jobs. The same dogs returned to strike again and that time we let the dogs handle it themselves.

Needless to say we haven't had any problems with aggressive stray dogs or coyotes. We were fortunate too the first time- the colt survived fine with only a few scars even though he looked like shredded beef when we got to him. The vet told us we should put him down he was so bad off, but with lots of time and wound cleaning- he came out of it okay.

Dogs are animals too and although many are family pets and sweet friends- they still have wild instincts in them that us humans cannot control or predict at all times.

Glad to hear inthe end all is okay.

Robin-LKF

Latest posts

Back