Sunday, our little foal was mauled by two pit bulls

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seashells

Reaction score
While everyone else watched super bowl game....Sadly he was attacked by two pit bulls who jumped onto our property (several fence lines to get to his stall).

Vet said he should be named Lucky...they didn't open main artery's anywhere.

Moonshadow must have given them a good fight. He's has puncher wounds/bite wounds all over his body, legs, throat, shoulders and neck, under his tail and more. He is lucky to be alive.

It was a 4 hour ordeal (the dogs' owner, 911 call, sheriff's deputy, emergency vet care...which was two hours long...and animal control officer...who was able to relinquish the dogs and they are never to return).

I can't post the video/pictures taken of him right after the attack but I've included a tape of him getting medical attention from the wonderful equine vet who took care of our little moonshadow. Plus a video of him taken today...doing much better, trying to keep up with his with his girlfriends (he's standing behind a bush in the beginning, but then he appears...decides to get in the action.) He's sore, but on the right road to recovery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktV_GFPFEaU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRkAkrsuaao

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG thats awful
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
. Im so sorry to hear about your little moonshadow. Im glad to hear that he is recovering very well. Those dogs should be banned everywhere. There are counties around us that its illegal to own a pitbull. I dont think they are good for anything but killing or hurting people and other animals. I wish him all the best of luck and a fast recovery!

Oh Shiela, I am so sorry but am thrilled that your little baby will heal.

I am a devoted dog lover but I could personally without flinching put those dogs into the ground.

Robin

Oh Shiela, I am so sorry but am thrilled that your little baby will heal.I am a devoted dog lover but I could personally without flinching put those dogs into the ground.

Robin
Oh, I know.... I love all animals and dogs. The poor owner kept repeating she's going to put them to sleep (I guess they've done this several times before). I learned she didn't want to relinquish them to animal control, but her husband signed them over. It's sad for their family, our family and our little moonshadow..but the dogs will not be returning for good (something dogs usually do after an attack...go back for more.)

Ever so sorry your baby went through this.

May he continue to recover from his ordeal. He is a lucky boy!

As for the breed I have known several very kind & sweet pits including therapy oners so I believe in punishing the deed and not the breed.

Oh Shelia, I'm soooo sorry. I'm so glad he's going to be ok. How horrid. I agree with Robin, I'm a dog lover too, but those dogs would have NEVER seen their next meal. TJ

Last edited:
default_no.gif
so sad. I am so glad your mini is recovers well.

keep us posted.

what a cutie pie
default_wub.png

first, i am very sorry about what happend. thats really terrible
default_no.gif

however, i have to mention that blaming the dogs on their breed is simply ignorant. would you honestly consider killing all pit bulls? the breed is not bad my friend, i have worked in multiple animal shelters and known a LOT of pits. the large majority of them are VERY sweet loving family dogs. they get a bad wrap because they are chosen by many due to their reputation to be fighting dogs, which if awful. any dog owner that lets their dog run free, doesn't take care of their dog, treats their dog badly, etc is horrible, but its not the dogs fault. owners have to take the responsibility. every breed is different and you need to know how to handle them properly. what would happen if you banned pits? then rotties would be next, the dobies (my person fav dogs ever), then german shepherds... before you know it your precious little labs will be the fighting dog of choice.

believe me, i would trust a pit that was raised in a good home a million times more than a feral or mistreated ANY dog.

default_no.gif
however, i have to mention that blaming the dogs on their breed is simply ignorant. would you honestly consider killing all pit bulls? the breed is not bad my friend, i have worked in multiple animal shelters and known a LOT of pits. the large majority of them are VERY sweet loving family dogs. they get a bad wrap because they are chosen by many due to their reputation to be fighting dogs, which if awful. any dog owner that lets their dog run free, doesn't take care of their dog, treats their dog badly, etc is horrible, but its not the dogs fault. owners have to take the responsibility. every breed is different and you need to know how to handle them properly. what would happen if you banned pits? then rotties would be next, the dobies (my person fav dogs ever), then german shepherds... before you know it your precious little labs will be the fighting dog of choice.

believe me, i would trust a pit that was raised in a good home a million times more than a feral or mistreated ANY dog.
I agree with you. One shouldn't judge a breed, but should take a look at the dog, his character, history, etc. This poor owner said they were rescues and they wanted to give them a chance. In this case she gave them plenty of chances to change, I know she loved them. I love my moonshadow and glad he's going to be fine (he has a spunky spirit again)...yet he doesn't run about as much as he usually does...yet :)

default_no.gif

I agree with you. It's the owners, not the dogs, they just "happen" to be "pit bulls" my brother has had several pit's and they were wonderful dogs and I've know several people that have had them. It's irresponsible people that don't take care of them correctly. However, a pack of dogs will do the same thing to a horse as well and their might not even be a pit involved, just a pack of mongrel's. I STILL would have made sure those dogs were put down cause it could have BEEN a child OR it could happen to another animal. I don't care whether they were pit's or not. They were TRYING TO KILL IT. TJ

Im sorry that I said anything about banning pitbulls. I didnt mean to offend anyone who has or has had pitbulls. Im very sorry
Don't worry about it...you had an natural response, and even the deputy and vet mentioned the breed should be illegal to own (seen too many of these cases).

Many good dogs out there, put into bad situations....so they get a taste for blood. Many nice dogs out there who get into that crazed faze...usually a pack mentality. One never knows what their dogs are truley capable of.

Now, I'm reminded, when I was 10 years old a dog ran up and bit my back shoulder area. At the doctors, he asked..."what breed was it?" I said with a gleam in my eyes...."It was a BEAUTIFUL irish setter." My mom never forgot that one.

Again, I feel bad for their family, and now they have not communicated about paying the vet bill, but I hope they do what's right and contact us. I know they are not happy, but Moonshadow didn't ask to be a chew toy
default_sad.png
That evening, I kept cool because the owner was hysterical ( I wanted to go nuts) the whole thing was so horrific, and unbelievable. Our place is so tranquil and fully fenced, then this happened. I still can't believe it.

I just read your first post and no other posts, but I am assuming those 2 dogs have 'seen the light' !!! I know we have dogs and coyotes who run in 2's and in large packs around here and livestock and horses are always being killed or harrassed by them, we personally do not put up with it. When any type of 4 legged creature gets the pack instinct going, they all do damage, pits or any other mixed mutt breed. But once blood is tasted after the thrill of the chase and injury or kill, they will always do it. It is sad, but it is true.

Im sorry that I said anything about banning pitbulls. I didnt mean to offend anyone who has or has had pitbulls. Im very sorry

I agree with you. Any breed of dog was created by people. To phase out a breed is not cruel. Of course there are sweet pit bulls. Of course there are viscious pit bulls. The breed was made to fight. Some people choose (or choose inadvertantly) to magnify this and horrible things happen. BSL doesn't mean killing every example of that breed. It means that you can't breed anymore of them and no more are allowed in that state/province. ie. phasing the breed out. I don't see the dilema. I really don't. A few summers ago we had, in Toronto, many cases of Pit Bulls turning on their owners (and kids etc.). Not one case. But many... How many Retrievers have you heard of that have done that? Just saying....They're banned in Ontario and that's not a bad thing.

I was afraid to open and read your post. I am so very sorry this happened to your foal. But I am VERY glad he is recovering.. He IS LUCKY indeed! I hope your baby continues on a speedy recovery......

This is truly a horse owners nightmare. I am so sorry this has happened. I hope he heals quickly and has no lasting effects. :-(

I'm sorry this happened, I know how scary this is
default_sad.png
I almost lost my poor goat to a pit bull a couple of months ago. He and a small pack had been watching him on their patrols, and when we tied him out for some sun one morning they got him! We managed to get them off of his neck and luckily the pit bull only gave him two deep punctures but didn't hit an artery. I'd never had such an adrenaline rush in my life as I did chasing those beasts off!

As for phasing out the breed, at this point I think maybe you should have to have a liscence to own these animals. There are alot of bad, poor communities here full of people who think that owning a pit bull is a status symbol showing how 'hardcore' and tough you are. They dont care for these dogs, they don't give them the training they need, and then the dogs run loose and kill animals or attack humans
default_no.gif
I know there are some very, very sweet and well mannered pit bulls, but those are the ones owned by responsible people who understand the breed and how to work with it. All others should NOT own these animals, or ANY other of the 'agressive' or 'fighting' breeds (chow chows, dobermans, etc)

I would never advocate killing or banning all pit bulls or any breed, but these dogs have proven themselves as killers or potential killers and they need to be put down.

Robin

Latest posts

Back