Sunburn N horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitewave

Reaction score
I have a 2 year old that is getting sunburned around his dark eye on his white face...He has pink skin around it no color.. I have tried a flymask with very bad results , keeping him in during the day is not a option at this time I can do .. What products out their can be used to help him? i have gone to turning him out at 6:00 am and in my 12:00 to a small shaded area by barn but he freaks and trys to escape when the other horses move back out to graze.....he has climbed the fence and gotten hurt more than once , I cant sit out with him all day in the shade(would Love to ) ..

Thanks for any advice you can give..

Jenn

I have a ivory jenny yearling that has raw ears from sunburn and I was told to use sunscreen (human) I started that last week and spray it on every couple of days and it is working!!! I just lightly spray a mist over each ear and away she goes!!
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

A friend of mine has a Paint gelding. She puts human sunscreen on his nose, he hasn't sunburned yet, and he's out all day in the Carolina sun! When Syd was at that same farm last year, her nose was a mess, but she has never sunburned here (more shade). If the sunscreen isn't doable, is the shady spot big enough that a buddy could share it with him? If he's not all alone, he might not mind where the other horses are.

Don't give up on flymasks just yet. I used to sell a fantastic fly mask that was full face and great protection from uv rays. I was going to sell them again this year and just got too plum busy. Search around and find one!

This is also a very good product I recommend by ABSORBINE:

Ultra Screen Maximum Sun Protection Lotion

Sun protection is a necessity for everyone, including horses. In fact, a horse's skin is 7 times more sensitive than a human's skin. UltraScreen Maximum Sun Protection Lotion provides both horse and rider with the ultimate defense from the sun. UltraScreen's specially-formulated moisturizing sunblock allows horse and rider to stay in the sun 30 times longer than without sunscreen protection. It prevents damage to both skin and coat by the sun's harmful UVA and UVB rays. This non-greasy, water and sweat resistant lotion contains Oil of Citronella. Apply the lotion to the most sensitive areas, such as nose, ears, muzzle, and around the eyes to reduce burns and moisturize skin.

SPF 30* lotion for horse and rider

Water and sweat resistant

Absorbs both UVA and UVB rays

PABA free

Non-greasy

Contains Oil of Citronella

Helps protect coat from bleaching

Moisturizes and conditions dry, sunburned skin

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back