Summer/Mindy Foaled on 4/1/13!! Colt!*NEW PICTURES & VIDEO OF SMOKEY PG. 41* 5 WEEKS OLD

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friday night, I knew one of my experienced mares was going to foal. She was due second in line, but usually goes early. I stayed up until 1 am. Got back up at 2 am, still nothing. My alarm went off at 4 am, but I turned it off and fell back asleep(this was the second night I had stayed up until 1 am). Woke up at 4:40 am and wasn't totally sure I had checked on her at 4(remembered checking her at sometime). I thought I had, but decided to check again. When I walked out of my room, I knew I hadn't checked on her at 4 am, it had been the 2 am check I was remembering. I knew because my roommate/business partner works nights. I leave a light by her room on for her, when she gets home. The check I was remembering, the light was on. 4:40 am the light was off(she gets home around 3:30). Went out to check on the mare and found a dead grullo colt(exactly what I wanted).

This mare has had several foals, but this is the second foal we have lost(since owning her). Her sacs are tougher and she stays down until the placenta passes(usually within 20 minutes). Foal can't get out and sufficates.

Next year, she is going to have every bell and whistle I can find. Along with a camera. I feel guilty and bad for the mare. She loves her babies. She even stole another mares baby, the first time she lost her foal.

Also, had a maiden mare foal without anyone around. I was working, my roommate checked on her at 7:30-8:00 pm. I got home around 10:30 pm and she had a baby beside her.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to do the watching all night thing before but I did have a cam that was set up on a 13 inch tv in the house so I never had to run to barn I could see from the comfort of my house, then when I had 12 baby's due one year I swore I was going to put them on line so that others could help and now I would never go back to the way I used to do......I know from experience putting a cam up online is a godsend and last year alone 5 of my 7 baby's were caught by someone other then me so it works I got my cams from Walmart just the security cams work great and got a Mifi from Walmart as well to run the cams, this is now my 4 year doing this and still I stay up as long as I can but its easier to sleep knowing eyes are on them when mine can't be......if I can help in anyway, answer any questions please let me know, I've been there and I can help if needed.......Good Luck with your foalings and I will be checking back for the good news baby's on the ground....lol

OH MY!!! Magic Marker, Im totally terrified!! I guess I will have to start sleeping in the barn! This is so stressful!

Liz, I soooo wish I had a camera set up and online. I wouldn't even know where to start to install one!

Some other signs I forgot to mention are she has been yawning like crazy at night, scratching her front legs all the time and biting her sides and tossing her head... but this has been going on for a month.

So how often should I be checking her with her current progress? Her vulva is still light pink, I just went out and checked on her. I know it can change so quickly.

Im reading and hearing so many scary stories and I will have a very hard time forgiving myself if anything bad happens and I'm not there, but at the same time I have a family to take care of. Right now Im checking her every hour or 2 during the day, at night I'm staying up watching her until she looks fine and has completely settled, then I get up depending on how she was acting before either every 30 min, 1 hour and no longer than 2 hrs. Is this enough for where she is at right now?

She still has a strong resistance in her tail too.

Summer I thought the same thing.....it's really easy thou all you need is cam wireless or wired, I used wireless, plug cam in barn or stall and hook up the converter box to any tv in the house and now you have eyes in the area from home as far as putting online that's alittle more in dept and won't go into that unless you would like.....
default_smile.png
start for comfort and then take one step at a time....lol

BTW sounds like your getting close to the pitter patter of tiny hooves..........

Your little mare is so cute! And daddy is a handsome fella! Looks like you're much closer than we are lol. Looks like you will have a gorgeous foal really soon!!!
default_xbud.gif

Mindy I would strongly advice that you either get a home cam like Liz suggested (security cam or baby cam) or you get your sleeping bag out and move in to the barn at night. 30 min visits are what you need to be doing so it is just easier to put the kids to bed and then trapes out to your (not too comfy) chair or hay bale. I lost 2 foals before I got cams and believe me I was very religious about visiting every hour. Some of these mares give very little signs and once they start before you know it baby is out.

We don't want to put you into panic just to let you know what the risks are. Our job here as Aunties is to ensure that both the mares and foals are safe.
default_smile.png
Oh and some mares like to foal during the day so that kind of stuffs up any ideas of a nice afternoon nap
default_new_rofl.gif

Welcome to the nursery! That is one impressive udder lol. Mum and dad a are super gorgeous, can''t wait to see this baby. Lets hope she decides you need to be put out of your misery and have this bub for you!

Thanks Blazingstarranch!!!
default_smile.png

Thanks Liz!

I'm thinking I'm going to have to do it the old fashioned way, Watch, Watch, Watch.... I have a great set-up with my RV parked right by the barn. I can see everything except one little corner of it, and if shes hiding over in that corner I just go out and peek around to make sure she is OK. I'm sleeping out there and I have a great view right out the window, so I can watch her without disturbing her. And thankfully I get to stay home during the day. The only time I work is on Wed evenings from 4 to 11, and my sister watches her while I'm gone. So basically I have no social life anymore... LOL... but I didn't really before anyway!! haha

LOL Eagle! Just be positive for me and help me keep an eye on these pictures I post!! I will do my very, very, very best!! I think being in the RV is better than having a cam in the house, its literally 10 feet from her 16X20 barn/stall she is locked in at night. I just sit in there and watch her. The kiddos like "spending the night" in there with me too every now and then.
default_smile.png
NO worries on the naps I think I have ADD or something and am way to hyper for them usually!

Diane, Thank you so much for your help and support! I fully expect a text book foaling
default_ohnoes.jpg
hahahaha!!! Positivity will be on my side!!
default_smile.png
ANY change and I will be on it like a fly on poo!!!! I promise!!

Thank you Countrymini!!! We had a little chat and I'm hoping that she agreed with the terms. I told her she is wearing me out and I dont want to be to tired to help her if she needs help!! We shall see if she listened
default_pray.gif

I wonder what color I'm going to get?? Dad is a deep sorrel, no markings. He was shaved in the first picture. Here is another picture of him with his winter coat. His sire was a black and white pinto. I'm not sure what you would call Summer? She looks like a chocolate dapple in the winter, but in the Summer she looks like a dark silver bay. SO IDK???dusty00.jpg

Girl sounds like you got it covered sorry thought you were a ways from the barn but I'd agree you have a good set up and now it's up to the mares to there jobs...lol sending you good vibes for a safe and quick foaling soon so you can move back home....
default_smile.png

Girl sounds like you got it covered sorry thought you were a ways from the barn but I'd agree you have a good set up and now it's up to the mares to there jobs...lol sending you good vibes for a safe and quick foaling soon so you can move back home....
default_smile.png
Thanks Liz
default_cheers.gif

default_thumbup.gif
Yep, you got it covered and if the ADD lets you down there is always Redbull
default_smile.png

Welcome SummerTime! Your mare is lovely, as is the stallion. And Summer looks great and CLOSE to foaling. The only thing that I can add is that I had a mare with a full udder, and I couldn't get anything out of her to test...............UNTIL the evening of the night she foaled!! I checked her AM and PM when I would feed, and when I checked her at the PM feeding, I was surprised that I got something from her! LOL She foaled a few hours later. So that might be something to watch for also. Best of luck to you and Summer, and I'll be looking forward to seeing pictures of your new foal!

Thank you Countrymini!!! We had a little chat and I'm hoping that she agreed with the terms. I told her she is wearing me out and I dont want to be to tired to help her if she needs help!! We shall see if she listened :prayI wonder what color I'm going to get?? Dad is a deep sorrel, no markings. He was shaved in the first picture. Here is another picture of him with his winter coat. His sire was a black and white pinto. I'm not sure what you would call Summer? She looks like a chocolate dapple in the winter, but in the Summer she looks like a dark silver bay. SO IDK???
attachicon.gif
dusty00.jpg
Summer on the color.....a sorrel horse carries 2red genes always giving 1red to offspring. So with a sorrel sire you can tell the daddy will automatically give 1red gene, now if mom is a silver bay then she carries a silver gene, a agouti gene, and could have a black gene, or a red gene- red is resistive unless 2red genes making it a sorrel......ok this is confusing there is a site equine coat color calculator that you can punch in the sire and dam colored and will give you all the color options, sorry started confusing myself ...lol hope that helps you I use it all the time

I agree with Pam. When you start getting milk and it is sticky then you have to be on super alert watch. But the milk can not be there in the morning and 5 hours later it is dripping out of them. It can go so fast sometimes.

Thanks Pam & Weerunner!! That actually helps me a lot!! I was kinda worried that I couldnt get anything out. So I will watch very closely for this. Thanks so much!

Liz, ok so since Dusty is a sorrel, than he will pass on that red gene? And since Summer carries the silver gene..... ummm I got lost... LOL I think I will definitely need more sleep to figure this one out!

Liz what do you have for cameras/set up? I desperately need a camera for my mare, but have no clue what to buy or what I even need. I would need it to also stream online. Would you msg me? I don't mean to hijack your thread Mindy, I just really need camera help!

Liz what do you have for cameras/set up? I desperately need a camera for my mare, but have no clue what to buy or what I even need. I would need it to also stream online. Would you msg me? I don't mean to hijack your thread Mindy, I just really need camera help!
No problem!!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back