Suggestions Please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrea loves minis

Reaction score
I have a yearling filly and need advice on how to start picking up her feet. I have only owned minis in which this was established. I was brushing her yesturday and thought I would just go at it and give it a try but she had different ideas....... any suggestions on what has worked for you would be greatly appriciated thanks!

Slow and steady wins the race, or do I mean horse? Just start by running your hands down her legs. If it was a young baby the progress would be quicker, but she's already a yearling, so I would take my time with her. Once she is used to having you run your hands down her legs you can try to lift her legs. Start out just lifting the legs for a few seconds and then you can work her up to longer times. Rear legs are trickier. I believe in holding them even if they fight you a little. They can learn to kick if you give up too quickly on holding the back legs with a little fight. IMO, a year is late for this type of training. Large or small, it is not good when they aren't taught this as young foals.

I would first start by throwing the lead around their legs or the end of the whip just to get them accustomed to something touching their legs. Its safer for you and the horse. Once they are good with that then start trying to rub their legs up and down. The last thing you want to do is to try and pick up their legs. Just keep going til they are relaxed. Once they are good at that start by squeezing the tendon the back of the leg and once they pick it up take the pressure away and reward by rubbing. Do not try and grab the leg. Once she is good at picking up the leg start holding it for short periods of time and longer as you go, try and not let her take the leg away from you but don't fight her, just go with it. Once they are relaxed drop the foot and rub. Once they are fine with you holding the leg you can take a hoof pick or the plam of your foot and just tap the foot same process as above, once they are good with that then start picking out the foot.

Hi

I always start out.. picking up the front foot and scratching the inside of the leg... they LOVE that.

Same with rear leg. Just for a few seconds at first. In no time it's no big deal. Works for me.
default_smile.png

~Sandy

Don't even THINK of picking up a foot until the horse will calmly accept rubbing all the way down to the foot. Then just take a tiny bit of weight off that foot and instantly release. Only go as fast as the horse will accept without resistance. If you meet resistance, back up in your training to what the horse accepts calmly.

VERY careful with hind legs. Always lift forward. Stifles are fragile in the small equine and easily injured by moving legs at wrong angle.

Good for you for training your youngster. your farrier will love you for it.

We've always started with a nice, soft cotton rope for this....mainly for your safety. Cotton doesn't give rope burns. Once they've adjusted to you rubbing the legs, you can use the rope so you are out of harm's way. Of course get them used to the rope over their back and around their legs before trying to pick the foot up. On the hind legs, start by looping rope up high on the leg and then let the rope slide to under their fetlock joint. Or you can make a loop (you're holding both ends) and have them step into the loop. Just start with little pressure and then gently pick foot up (going forward)...then release it. If they try to kick and fight, don't fight back, but just continue to do little pull/release until they relax. This way you're not leaning down and in the way of getting kicked. Hope this makes sense....hard to explain. Don't tie the rope...just loop it, so easily to release and falls off foot.

thanks for the advice
default_smile.png
I've started the rubbing of the legs for a couple of days now and she's good with that but won't let me pick up her hoof yet....I'll just keep trying thanks again!!

Oh, before picking up start with just pushing weight off that foot a bit. Push on the shoulder or hip just enough to take a little weight off that leg. once horse is ok with that then try a tiny lift...half inch is enough at first.

Have you tried searching you tube? There may be some helpful videos to browse
default_smile.png

I started working with a mature horse on this issue two weeks ago. He was VERY resistant to having his back feet and tail handled (brushed). The closer you are to his body the less likely you are to be kicked. If you reach toward the legs from arm's length, the horse may consider you a predator, and react accordingly. Just run your hands down the legs, massaging gently. Lift the foot and cradle the hoof in your hand close to the ground. Use a little pressure, but let the horse feel as though he can escape.

If he crowds against the fence, gently put your body between her and the barrier and ask her to move over. It is a question of trust and confidence. Talk to her. Tell her she is a very good girl!! She will respond to the positive tone of your voice.

After two weeks, my mature horse is perfectly comfortable with my handling his tail and holding his legs. Just take it slow, but present yourself with confidence. Don't act like a sneaky predator.

Latest posts

Back