Suggestions for vacuums?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basshorse

Reaction score
Bad News: Our house vacuum died last weekend.

Good News: We have a reason to not vacuum!

Anyway, we are looking for suggestions. What brand/type do you recommend?

Bagless vs bagged? ...we've never had a bagless...

I have a Dyson bagless. I think its the Dyson DC14. Its the model for all floor types, and animal hair and I love it. We have all wood floors throughout our house except for the family room..which is carpet, and has alot of heavy traffic on it, it picks up everything. One of the best vacuums I have ever owned. The one I would NEVER EVER buy again, would be another Kirby. Or, you could just stick with your GOOD NEWS and not vacuum.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't mind a somewhat heavy vac, have lots of carpeting, and want a nearly indestructable one, buy a used / refubished Kirby G6 series or up, but not from Kirby directly. Don't call your local Kirby sales company. People hate Kirby because of the often shady salespeople, outdated sales techniques and preying on the elderly. But the machines are made in the USA with a construction quality that is hardly seen any more.

Check Craigslist or eBay in your area. You can get a vacuum that was $1000 new for $200-$300 barely used and they work forever. Bearings, motor brushes, brushrolls and belts are easy to replace. Almost no plastic parts to break. They are bagged, but the HEPA bags are pretty cheap.

Kirby drawbacks are the weight if you need to lug them up stairs, attachments are not on board and the kevlar fans CAN be damaged if you happen to suck up solid, heavy stuff (nuts & bolts, etc) since the vacuumed dirty air passes through the fan before the bag.

Die-soons are made of plastic that becomes more brittle over time and have mediocre suction. It's true that they do not lose suction/airflow, but only have mediocre airflow to begin with! So much power is wasted creating the vortex in the canister that could be applied to pulling dirt from the floor.

If you are okay with some plastic, or want a light vac, check out Riccar. American made and high airflow rates.

http://www.riccar.com/

Regardless of what you buy, when comparing vacs, you should look at air volume in CFM and suction in inches of water column. Don't just compare motor amps!

Dyson: approx 65cfm

Kirby: 115- 125cfm (newer G series)

Riccar: 120-140 cfm

Miele: 140-150cfm

I know quite a bit about air movement because I used to adjust HVAC systems professionally in buildings and have an engineering degree!

Kirby vs Dyson professional test:

http://www.greatvacs.com/KirbyDysonReview.shtml

Good luck!

Daryl

i second the animal dyson. they're pricey but they go after dog hair with a vengeance!!

I have a Dyson for pets and a Kirby G6. The Kirby is out in the shed, the Dyson is what we prefer. Guess I should probably put the Kirby up on Ebay.

I have a Dyson that is made for picking up animal hair as well. Money well spent! Love the way it gets around edges, the suction on it rocks! Bagless, easy to clean when it's time to clean out it's filters, easy to empty and easy to tote around the house. I will never go back to Hoover or Eureka.

Kirby all the way...downside is it is heavy, but in my experience it is THE BEST sweeper out there.

We have border collies so the dog hair is intense. I borrowed an animal dyson from a friend to see if they really work and man was I disapointed. It didnt hardly pick up anything? Then we tried a bagless. That didnt work either as we were emptying it about every 5 mins. I just cant seem to find one that really works

I have a central vacuum system throughout my house and I love it. I'm not sure if those have to be put in when the house is being built or if you can install it later.
default_unsure.png

Also very interested in the responces so far.
default_wink.png

So is there a vacuum that cleans carpets really well and super light weight and easy to move about?

My Dyson and my Hoover Floor Scrubber.......some of the best money I have ever spent for keeping a clean home.

"Really love our Animal Dyson... no bag, light weight and works great for us."

I am going to agree with what Rachel has to say. It was the best money I have ever spent. A friend of mine who owns a busy grooming salon..swears by her Dyson as well. If it does the job by her with all her pet hair...they have got to be good.
default_smile.png

Thanks for all of your suggestions! We have a combo of tile, wood, and carpeting. We vacuum shavings from our guinea pig cage daily... or at least we did. This maybe why it died! We have company coming for the 4th, so we will have to break down and get something by then. Presently, vacuuming with the hose and dragging around what is left of the vacuum is not any fun! The brush/bearing had a meltdown.
default_new_shocked.gif
Mother-in-law told me not to get a bagless--that they are a mess, but we get tired of trying to find bags.

My daughter thinks vacuuming is fun right now
default_aktion033.gif
...so as light and at the same powerful and tough is needed. Boy, I'm envious of the people with central vac systems in their homes!
default_yes.gif

Thanks again for all of the replies and suggestions!... More still welcome!

Before I forget.... How are the bagless to empty???

P.S. Of course, shopping for horse vacs would be more fun!!

Mother-in-law told me not to get a bagless--that they are a mess, but we get tired of trying to find bags.

Before I forget.... How are the bagless to empty???!
First of all with the Dyson nothing could be further from the truth. Bags are just gross to me and your vacuum cleaner always smells BAD which in turn makes your house smell bad when you vacuum. YUCK! Not so with a Dyson..

The dirt canister comes off the vacuum with the push of a button. I then take it over to the garbage and stick the bottom down inside the garbage bag, press another button which lets the dirt fall to the bottom of the garbage bag and your done. No muss, no fuss. I am sure different brands empty differently.

Every 6 mo. or so, depending on how bad your home gets, I take the entire thing apart and wash the filter and canister. Easy.

If your daughter thinks vacuuming is fun now wait until she can see all the dirt that comes up in the clear canister while you are watching it at work.
default_new_shocked.gif

Latest posts

Back