Suggestions for older arthritic mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jandjmc

Reaction score
I've got a 28 year old mare who is just showing the signs of old age. She is particularly stiff in one back leg. Since it has started to get cold, I can really tell she is "stove up". I put her on one dose of banamine daily for the last 4 days, but, of course, don't want to keep her on it. She is out with her herd all day in turn- out and spends the night in a large pen (40' by 15') with a 14' by 12' 3- sided shelter. She has no other health concerns and is still bright-eyed. She's got her full hair coat which is very adequate.

Can anyone recommend a pain supplement? Or joint supplement? It has been my understanding that most joint supplements are more for prevention than treatment of pain. Has anyone used them for "current" pain and had success? Any ideas to make my old girl's life more comfortable?

I'm currently using B-L pellets and solution to help keep two minis comfortable; its an herbal anti-inflammatory that is less harsh on the stomach than bute or banamine. both seem to be feeling much better since I started up again. [The gelding has never been on it, but the mare has.] The mare is also on Corta-Flx joint supplement. [i used the Corta-Flx for my half-Arab gelding, and it really helped him with his flexibility and comfort; I know the farrier noticed improved flexibility. (he's gone now, but he was on it his last 3-4 years, and I'm sure it kept him more comfortable).]

The B-L products are not for pregnant mares, so if you plan to breed the mare, you'll have to find a different pain reliever.

I like the convenience of the pellets, but the solution is more accurate for dosing down to mini size. [My mare is on the liquid, so I know she gets it and the mare that cleans up her left-overs doesn't get any. My gelding is on the pellets, he's in a gelding/colt paddock, so no issues if someone finds his left-overs.]

Turmeric....there is a Facebook page where you could get help with amounts so I shall not attempt that bit!

Cosequin. I have a 28 yr belginan ex puller on it and she now gets around like a yearling. About a year ago I put my 19 y/o golden retriever on it after she developed a limp and couldn't do stairs. It worked wonders. I swear by it.

We should never discuss treatment prior to knowing a diagnosis. Treatment tailored to a diagnosis is not only far more likely to reach expectations, it also is safer by excluding inappropriate treatments.

NSAID's like bute and Banamine are appropriate for long term use when indicated. Their adverse effects are generally overblown and they are usually well tolerated.

If you would prefer to avoid them then other modalities including joint injections and PSGAG's can be employed.

Dr. Taylor

I've had more old old very old horses than I can barely count and here's the thing. I'm pretty sure I've used nearly everything on the market for arthritis pain from soup to nuts and here's what I think about it. First, whatever I've used took about 30 days to kick in or say 30 days for me to notice any difference if there was one. Some horses would respond to one product when with others it would have no effect. Corta Flex worked on two horses I had and there was a difference but didn't work on the others at all. See what I'm saying? I also used to swear by Shark Cartldge which was a winner and also combining Yucca with MSM. That was pretty cool for a while with a pony I had but then nothing else did a thing. If I had a horse getting really bad I have no problem slipping them a bute to get them over the hump or banamine for a couple of days. So really, its a big market out there and you just need to experiment. And if you are frugal like me, check the ingriedients and total content etc. and do a cost comparrison because 9 times out of ten you will be paying for a big name label when you can find the same thing in a not so popular name brand. Only last thing I can tell you is not to let your horse get bad wet and keep him warm. If you have to force him in the shelter and gate it, do it. Same thing in the wind because according to the Bible of me, the wind gets them sick in the winter more than anything else. Best wishes to you.

Spot on Marty- wet and wind to be avoided, both at once a definite no no- and freedom to move is a must- Rabbit lived to 34 on fresh air and a fair amount of painkiller when he needed it- I always gave him at least a month drug free in good dry warm weather though, to let him detox. Dr Taylor makes a good point about Bute- although we tend to steer clear of it and rightly so, with an older horse the problems of age and degeneration will probably kill it long before the bute does! Even so I always gave a stomach liner with it.

edited for flipping spelling again.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the good suggestions. I very much appreciate the input.
default_smile.png

Will be making a trip to the vet supply today and will look to see what they have, based on the input.

Dr. Taylor-I'll try some of these supplements and if they don't make an impact, she'll definitely go back to the vet. (She was just there in August to have her teeth done and an exam.)

We had rain last night along with colder temperatures, she had dry shavings on her back this morning, so she enjoyed a nice roll in dry shavings over the night. She's a smart old broad, no standing out in the rain like my geldings do. Gave her another dose of banamine.

I've got 3 (over 20's) now so need to stock up on ideas and supplies to keep them comfortable.

Jane, I too was shocked to just see your post about Rabbits. I know how dear he was to you. I am sure he had a grand life.

I agree, warmth and no wind is very helpful - I had an old mare years ago that had arthritis. Even as mild as the winters are here, it would still hit freezing and she was much more 'stove up' in the winter.

Glucosamine/Chondroitin? You can get the people kind pretty cheaply at Costco... but sounds like Marty has a good post with some info that may help too. Some of things will take a while to kick in- it's not an instant fix, so would go ahead and use a little bute or aspirin on the rougher days.

awww darn Jane I am so sorry.

I read that this morning and thought WHAT? I read it three times and was kind of shocked, I was thinking I must have missed a earlier post and had this lump in my throat trying to remember if I'd told you how sorry I was.

I can't even imagine how hard that was for you, I know he was a very special little stallion and the love of your life.

It just hit me like a ton of bricks to read it since we all know him. Jane may your many happy memories be most in your mind, he lived a long, happy much loved life. Please accept my condolences.

So very sorry to hear about Rabbit! I know how those special ones are so hard to lose! My condolences......:-(

I have had good luck feeding yucca. Pellets for horses and capsules for my dogs.

I have been very pleased with the results of yucca.

My one experience was with a full grown appy I had.. post founder and he had stifle issues and the yucca pellets we added to his feed really helped. For dogs, I have used yucca for lameness and stiffness and stifle issues on both young and older dogs and noticed a difference within a few days.

best wishes. PS, always best to have a vet do a look see first to be sure you are not missing anything... my vet rolls her eyes just a tad when I mention the yucca, however, she does not tell me to stop doing it either. Some traditional medicines caused too many side effects which is why I tried the yucca. I have used MSM, but that was so long ago I don't remember much about using it other than it was tried.

best wishes.

Like Dr Taylor says-check with your vet.I have a 23 yr old mare with Cushings(her mom had it also)She developed white line disease and then severely ouchy-would lay down for long periods of time.and limp badly.After consulting with vet I tried banamine 2 times daily helped some.then we progressed to bute 2 times daily.She is now off banamine but still on bute 2 times daily and has been for several months.No side effects.She is on dry lot now with her 2 sisters and even trots around with them.I am wary of bute but the other option was to put her down and neither of us is ready for that yet.If my plan is going ok I'm n ot going to alter it.When warm weather comes I may back off to once daily with the bute but not yet.She eats great , is drinking well,peeing and pooping well So far so good.

Bevann I have used bute for over three years, with only detox for a month in summer- no real side effects. Sometimes the risks are worth it when it is the only thing that works!! I obviously would not use it without a Vet involved, though.

Latest posts

Back