Studish Behavior

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolfLady

Reaction score
This is related to the other post that is simmilar. I have a young colt (7-8 months) and I have 2 behavior issues with him at this time. He paws when he is eatting, and when I went into to feed him he half way reared up on me :new_shocked: I coudnt belive it!!! So does anyone have any Ideas on how to NIP? this in the bud? thanks to all!

Patience, consistency, and be fair to the stallion or young stallion of any age. It's just a phase now, but make sure it doesn't develop into a habit.

Andrea

Mine paws when he eats too but I didn't know that was a bad habit. Is it??

the pawing is them showing their frustration in waiting for the feed. If he rears up on you then hes food aggressive. Im really hoping when he reared up on you you didnt give him feed. If you did you taught him to rear and then get food. When i enter a stall with food the horse must turn and face me (most horses that are food aggressive will turn their butt to you wanting you to put they hay down and leave never let them do that) stand whiile i lay the hay down. If they dont then I immediately leave with the feed. Wait 60 seconds and enter the stall again. I will keep doing this until they get that they must turn and face me or they arent getting hay. They get smart really quick.

In reality you have a horse with food aggession and a lack of respect for you. Start with the feed and work up from there. Once he respects you in the stall he will also respect you when your working with him on training etc.

Latest posts

Back